PDA

View Full Version : .350 Legend questions

jims
09-16-2020, 08:09 PM
I have a Thompson Center Venture II in .350 Legend. The only cartridges available to me locally are the Hornadys (not the flex tips) and the Win Power Point 180 grain. The Hornady is not quite as accurate as the Win and the latter is only about 1.5 MOA at 100 yards but most of my deer shots would be about that. The Hornady cases come out clean, the Wins have a lot of soot and carbon streaking on the case nearly to the base. Both powders leave a pretty dirty bore.
Any idea of the carbon? The Win bullets are about .354, the Hornady .355. As I understand the cartridge headspaces off the lip at the top of the case. Never had a centerfire cartridge carbon up like that before.
I would like to try the Hornady flex tips but here just lucky to have the other two available. Thanks

GaCop
09-21-2020, 07:15 AM
Sounds like the Winchesters are weak loads where the case is not sealing in the chamber and/or the bullets are not secure enough in the case? As far as removing carbon from the case, 4/0 steel wool will clean them up if you reload. Any good cleaner will take care of the bore. I use "Seafoam" engine cleaner and it does a nice job of removing bore fouling but not copper.