PDA

View Full Version : Powder dispenser

Pages : [1] 2

Totosdad
09-16-2020, 08:46 AM
First of all, I am new to reloading

I see all these add's on electronic powder dispenser's, and all of them say accurate to +/_ 0.1 grains.

So my question is, does +/_ 0.1 grains make that much difference in a load?

PhilC
09-16-2020, 09:56 AM
Depends. For a hunting round at distances under 600yds I'd say not. For target rounds, maybe. As always, many variables at play.

I'm still using the same RCBS Uniflow, trickler, and 5-10 beam scale I started with in the 80s. Dead nuts, is dead nuts, whether manual or electronic.

Got a great deal on a Chargemaster a year or so ago, and although convenient, it will occasionally throw a charge +/- a tenth or two.

Balljoint
09-16-2020, 10:19 AM
Answer to your question is NO, the PLUS/MINUS won't make any difference.
I have both type of power measures like both BUT if loading over 100 rounds i use the electronic(i have RCBS ) and under 50 use my down flow measure.

Balljoint
09-16-2020, 10:21 AM
Also Welcome to the SAVAGE BROTHERHOOD

daved20319
09-16-2020, 11:45 AM
I use an FA Intellidropper as well as a Hornady powder measure. The electronic gets used for test and precision loads, the Hornady for range ammo, as it's much faster, and the loads are less critical. Both work well, and although the Hornady is more consistent than my old RCBS Uni-flow, the FA is even more consistent, and it's a lot easier to change charge weights when you're only loading 5 or 10 rounds at each weight. Plus it's faster and less hassle than throwing light and trickling up. I also have a beam scale, and one of the small FA digitals, I use both for weight checking, and I'm happy to say that everything agrees with everything. As to +/- .1 gr. making a difference, not in my world, but I don't shoot in competitions, just for fun. But I have no trouble putting together 1/2 MOA or better ammo with my tools and techniques. Good luck!

Dave

charlie b
09-16-2020, 02:58 PM
It depends, like anything else.

If you are not trying to get the smallest groups, then no, being off by +/-0.2gn is not going to hurt you. To demonstrate I shot a ladder test at 0.2gn increments from 26.6 to 27.6gn at 100yd (cast bullets). I could take all of the groups and lay them on top of each other to make one 25rnd group that was under 2". That was a velocity difference of right around 100fps.

This is dramatically different if you shoot those same loads at 400 or 600yd. The differences in velocity will show up in a vertical dispersion that is several inches. Again, if hunting, will it make a difference? Probably not.

For rifles I weigh all my charges. Most of the time I get the charge at the specific weight I want, eg, 26.6gn. If I am shooting some of my less than perfect cast bullets I won't care if it is off by 0.1gn or so.

And, yes, if you want to have the most accurate rounds that you can produce you need to weigh them even better than 0.1gn. But, getting under 0.1gn in accuracy requires many more dollars in scales.

yobuck
09-16-2020, 04:41 PM
It depends, like anything else.

If you are not trying to get the smallest groups, then no, being off by +/-0.2gn is not going to hurt you. To demonstrate I shot a ladder test at 0.2gn increments from 26.6 to 27.6gn at 100yd (cast bullets). I could take all of the groups and lay them on top of each other to make one 25rnd group that was under 2". That was a velocity difference of right around 100fps.

This is dramatically different if you shoot those same loads at 400 or 600yd. The differences in velocity will show up in a vertical dispersion that is several inches. Again, if hunting, will it make a difference? Probably not.

For rifles I weigh all my charges. Most of the time I get the charge at the specific weight I want, eg, 26.6gn. If I am shooting some of my less than perfect cast bullets I won't care if it is off by 0.1gn or so.

And, yes, if you want to have the most accurate rounds that you can produce you need to weigh them even better than 0.1gn. But, getting under 0.1gn in accuracy requires many more dollars in scales.
Again, ill be the devils advocate.
So we weigh all our loads to the exact amount, we prepare and size all the cases as if we are going to a benchrest match.
But were not going to a benchrest match, were simply going hunting.
But not in the traditional way, instead were going to be hoping for a shot that could be well over 500 yds.
We have perfected a drop chart for the gun that includes conditions that are average for the area we hunt.
But today is below zero and both our gun and the ammo is always left in our vehicle over night when the temp went even lower.
So, this all being a real possibility, are we still so sure a tenth of a grain is meaningfull?
Are we shooting into the wind? with the wind? or across the wind? And how steady is the wind? Could it change during the time our brain sends the signal to shoot and the bullet arrives?
Most questions are hypothetical in nature, and when it gets right down to it mean very little in the overall scheme of things.
Mind you now, im not trying to influence perfection. loli

Orezona
09-16-2020, 06:00 PM
In my experience, all my powder measure equipment is rated for within a tenth. I drop short about 3-5 tenths (within a tenth), trickle onto a beam scale for target powder weight (within a tenth) and then verify on a digital (with in a tenth). Now that I type it out, who knows where the heck I am at final charge. *I'm nobody, this is just what I do.

charlie b
09-16-2020, 08:56 PM
......Again, if hunting, will it make a difference? Probably not......

Totosdad
09-16-2020, 09:00 PM
Thank you one and all.

Lefty Trigger
09-18-2020, 04:53 PM
The farther you shoot the more important it becomes, and most important if target shooting. Fluctuation in powder loads (as well as a few other things) will effect your extreme spread and standard deviation and that can be the difference between winning and loosing at distance. I drop all my rifle loads with a RCBS Chargemaster lite and verify them on a A&D FX120i digital scale. For my 6mm BR this with this setup gets my ES numbers under 10 and SD numbers under 5 and that makes for tight groups at distance.

Bill2905
09-18-2020, 07:55 PM
The farther you shoot the more important it becomes, and most important if target shooting. Fluctuation in powder loads (as well as a few other things) will effect your extreme spread and standard deviation and that can be the difference between winning and loosing at distance. I drop all my rifle loads with a RCBS Chargemaster lite and verify them on a A&D FX120i digital scale. For my 6mm BR this with this setup gets my ES numbers under 10 and SD numbers under 5 and that makes for tight groups at distance.

I use the Chargemaster Lite also but I only verify the drops a couple of times during a loading session. What percentage of the Chargemaster drops would you estimate do not pass your verification step with the A&D scale?

Robinhood
09-18-2020, 08:54 PM
Yobuck put some things in perspective. Only you will determine the extent you will go to chase accuracy. Some things in a reloaders kit have big benefits, some are a waste. But some things move you too a new level. So what level are you trying to achieve?(rhetorical)

mikeinco
09-19-2020, 01:07 AM
may i suggest you stop.
cheap electronic scales are 'STEP" FUNCTIONS. YOU ONLY SEE .1,.2.3,.4
WITH A BEAM you can see the diff between .1 and .2..
also if trickling up the beam must move every time you add powder,,as in touch it and make it move.
the process you have outlined in NOT accurate.

In my experience, all my powder measure equipment is rated for within a tenth. I drop short about 3-5 tenths (within a tenth), trickle onto a beam scale for target powder weight (within a tenth) and then verify on a digital (with in a tenth). Now that I type it out, who knows where the heck I am at final charge. *I'm nobody, this is just what I do.

mikeinco
09-19-2020, 01:16 AM
yes it does.
but your standards and need, it may not be noticeable.
i am on the extreme end of rifle target loading
i weigh to .02 for my target ammo
i shoot 600/1000 and 2000 yard benchrest with that ammo
i also shoot 875-2000 yard steel with that ammo.
i also shoot 100/200 yard br score with that precision.
BUT
FOR 100/200 benchrest GROUP i load to aprox +/- 0.1 with a charge master lite.
in any of these rifle yes being off a tenth is an issue.
average hunter, no. longrange hunter maybe
average pistol shooter probably no.
my electronic scale is aprox $500 plus and while it is .02 it is limited by the size of a kernel of powder.
the average savage rifle is just fine with an average beam scale.

First of all, I am new to reloading

I see all these add's on electronic powder dispenser's, and all of them say accurate to +/_ 0.1 grains.

So my question is, does +/_ 0.1 grains make that much difference in a load?

yobuck
09-19-2020, 09:28 AM
Regardless as to how we think and go about things, there is still a learning curve for most things.
Some of us never quite make it to the curve and some of us make it around the curve to various degrees.
But regardless, 1/10th of a grain more or less powder or one less nail in a horse shoe wont be the deciding factor of anything.

nksmfamjp
09-19-2020, 09:49 AM
Well, for $1000, the RCBS will do +/- 0.04 gr.... there is also another one, but I forget the name. Before these high end dispensers, the most accurate loads shot were loaded from a Harrels powder measure by # of clicks. Basically, br guys would work up a good load. On competition day, it might vertical string a bit, so they would add a click or 2. ....or it might open up slightly and they would back off a click or 2. Loading at the range.

Bill2905
09-19-2020, 12:13 PM
My inconsistencies behind the trigger far overshadow any variation that my powder charges are contributing to the end result.

mikeinco
09-19-2020, 01:14 PM
actually not harrels but most likely a neil jomes or a bruno's. both are more accurate than the harrels.
using one well requires practice and a powder that meters well.
a charge master lite with benchrest powders allows a beginer to dispense charges as accurate as the most experienced br shooter with a neil jones thrower.
reference: n133 is the most popular br powder, from a harrels it is typically thrown at plus or minus 0.3! the neil jones is much better. the lite only very occasionaly misses .1 and often tells you if it does.
my 2 cents worth is that for the average hunter target shooter a chargemaster lite is the way to go.
100 dollar electronic scales are trash, a 100 doller beam is better.
and unless you are shooting a top end savage, you will never notice.

Well, for $1000, the RCBS will do +/- 0.04 gr.... there is also another one, but I forget the name. Before these high end dispensers, the most accurate loads shot were loaded from a Harrels powder measure by # of clicks. Basically, br guys would work up a good load. On competition day, it might vertical string a bit, so they would add a click or 2. ....or it might open up slightly and they would back off a click or 2. Loading at the range.

Orezona
09-19-2020, 02:41 PM
may i suggest you stop.
cheap electronic scales are 'STEP" FUNCTIONS. YOU ONLY SEE .1,.2.3,.4
WITH A BEAM you can see the diff between .1 and .2..
also if trickling up the beam must move every time you add powder,,as in touch it and make it move.
the process you have outlined in NOT accurate.

I trickle up on the beam. The digital is more of a layer of safety. i don't adjust based on the digital check. I should have said that. I have shot small groups and prairie dogs don't dig my reloads. Thank you for your input though. My ears are open to reloading suggestions.