PDA

View Full Version : Anything on barrel threads?

daved20319
09-13-2020, 11:58 AM
So I'm going to convert my 12 FV from .223 to 6.5 Creedmoor. My barrel showed up yesterday (OEM Savage take-off), got everything else I need on hand, but I'm seeing conflicting info re: what, if anything, should be put on the barrel threads prior to assembly. So far, I've seen recommendations of dry, oiled, some type of anti-seize, and even low strength loc-tite. Is there a definitive answer, or does it really just come down to whatever feels good to you?

Also curious about barrel nut torque, although the majority says 30-40 ft. lbs., there are outliers on both ends, from just hand tight to 90 ft. lbs. torque :o. Although I'll probably hang onto the .223 parts (for awhile), I have no intention of using this as a switch barrel gun.

For anyone interested, this will be a target rifle, and I have dreams of stretching it out to 1K yards someday, but IF that ever happens, it'll be rare, the majority of my shooting will be 2-300 yards. The rifle as is will easily do sub MOA, and with the right ammo, 1/2 MOA is not uncommon, if I can keep the loose nut behind the trigger under control ;). So although I want/expect it to be accurate, and I will be hand loading for it, I don't intend to dive too deeply down the rabbit hole of ultimate precision. Any other tips would be appreciated, later.

Dave

celltech
09-13-2020, 12:53 PM
I personally use a little MS33 grease and torque to 70ish ft/lbs. Make sure you clean all the factory grit from the threads. And while you have it apart you might want to soften the lug abutment edges to keep them from mangling the brass... If you want to reload.

Robinhood
09-13-2020, 02:51 PM
I personally use a little MS33 grease and torque to 70ish ft/lbs. Make sure you clean all the factory grit from the threads. And while you have it apart you might want to soften the lug abutment edges to keep them from mangling the brass... If you want to reload.

Good advice.

I have done it dry, used 3in1, NeverSeez, and spray on dry MolyKote. I think the spray on MolyKote was my favorite. I would like to get some of that MK 33 stuff Celltech has and try it. With lubricant I think the he is right on with the torque. Dry I would do 90 ft/lb's. I have noticed accuracy and consistency improved with the nut or barrel put on relatively tight. Factory savages shoot well and they are tight like that.

Fuj'
09-14-2020, 10:05 AM
On my stainless barrels and actions.....Dry, and 45 ft lbs. I have found
no need to go higher with my builds, and the barrel nuts themselves are
not designed for much higher torque values. Especially on the thinner
large shank nuts.

daved20319
09-15-2020, 01:19 PM
Thanks, guys, appreciate the responses. Got all the parts together then realized I forgot to order an action wrench, that probably won't arrive until next week sometime. I know I asked, but it feels like 70-90 ft. lbs. torque is too much, I'll be going with NSS's recommendation of 45-50. Just got shipping notification, action wrench should be here Friday, so I guess I know what I'll be doing next weekend :cool:. Later.

Dave