PDA

View Full Version : Converting .308Win family to WSM - mag issues?

spaniel
11-09-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm looking to convert a .308 family member to 300 WSM. It will have an internal box/blind mag. What mods will I need to do to the feed lips etc to make this happen?

Scalian
11-10-2010, 09:40 AM
You can just buy a Magnum mag box.

rogn
11-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Thisll be a one way modification and if not done well you have a single shot. I dont shy from many projects but I would this one. Maybe you want another rifle?

spaniel
11-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Maybe I need to bite the bullet and buy the more expensive donor rifle. I'm not sure they still make a 300 WSM in a non-accutrigger model though.

cowboyarcher
11-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Thisll be a one way modification and if not done well you have a single shot. I dont shy from many projects but I would this one. Maybe you want another rifle?

This is not true.

All you will need to do is swap the bolt head and mag box out. If a WSM mag box is unavailable, buy a 308 box and tweak it to work. Then just swap back as needed.

Mag boxes are typically less than $15. . . I think most can experiment with a mag box for that price.

Some may have modified boxes as you described, and could give you more technical data on this.

Do you have the bolt head part figured out?

There are SA magnum push feed bolt heads available, but they use a longer firing pin, so that swap may also be required.

Others have modified a LA magnum head to work with the SA, and I believe this does not require a longer firing pin.

Carvera
11-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Well stated Adam!Cowboyarcher has it right.

spaniel
11-10-2010, 09:03 PM

This is not true.

All you will need to do is swap the bolt head and mag box out. If a WSM mag box is unavailable, buy a 308 box and tweak it to work. Then just swap back as needed.

Mag boxes are typically less than $15. . . I think most can experiment with a mag box for that price.

Some may have modified boxes as you described, and could give you more technical data on this.

Do you have the bolt head part figured out?

There are SA magnum push feed bolt heads available, but they use a longer firing pin, so that swap may also be required.

Others have modified a LA magnum head to work with the SA, and I believe this does not require a longer firing pin.

Thanks; I knew I would need to swap the bolt head but had not looked into exactly what to get yet.

So are the feel lips attached to the mag box then? The only Savage I currently have is a DBM so it's not informative for me.

sha-ul
11-10-2010, 10:51 PM

Some may have modified boxes as you described, and could give you more technical data on this

this broaches on a subject I have wondered about, did Savage vary the Magazine hole in the action by caliber, or cut them all pretty well the same size? what about long action vs short action?

spaniel
11-11-2010, 07:47 AM
this broaches on a subject I have wondered about, did Savage vary the Magazine hole in the action by caliber, or cut them all pretty well the same size? what about long action vs short action?

I can't imagine it is not different by action length (L vs S).

Blue Avenger
11-11-2010, 10:32 AM
they made different mags to fit in a group case size. .308, .30-06, 7mm rem mag, 300 ultra, 300wsm....

then they bend them to fit the assorted dia. of bullets. .204s touch the ramp different then .416s