PDA

View Full Version : Any FN Mauser Knowledgeable Folks About?

Chris3.Drums
09-09-2020, 09:33 AM
So I got from an auction what I believe to be an earlier (50's or 60's?) Mauser-action FN Sporter rifle but the barrel has been replaced with a custom 26" target barrel and converted to .308Win. It says it is an Interarms import by FN on what looks like a long action bolt. The bolt throw is longer than my Savage 10TR/S action's is. I have some pictures and others that are close-up. The serial number is "A103" and it is actually very nice, but for some mars on the stock. Does anyone here know how to date the action? The FN forum members (only 2 of them, it's not as busy in the bolt-action section) said that without the proof marks on the original barrel they don't have any way to know.
I'm getting an error message saying that the host is having issues related to posting pictures. Drat. Maybe this'll work:
https://ibb.co/Gt5jy8b
https://ibb.co/8jCHdJd

https://ibb.co/Gt5jy8bhttps://ibb.co/Gt5jy8b

stomp442
09-09-2020, 10:56 AM
Thats a nice rifle. It should be the same as a large ring 98 Mauser. You should be able to fit cartridges up to .30-06 sized cases in that action. I have no idea how to date it based on your pictures but I have messed with a few of those old Interarms sporterized Mausers and they have all been shooters.

Chris3.Drums
09-09-2020, 11:14 AM
Thanks! I was surprised by how hefty and beautiful the rife was. I had bought it thinking of putting it in a chassis for a long-range target rifle, but it's too pretty for that fate. It's also too heavy to tote around the woods, so it's a safe queen for now until I get it a new scope and a better carry case.

wbm
09-09-2020, 02:51 PM
_.

stomp442
09-09-2020, 04:53 PM
It's already a long range target rifle. Bed it, do a little load development and your good to go.

sharpshooter
09-09-2020, 06:34 PM
Interarms imported those back in the 80's. Earlier versions were imported by Browning and Stoeger.

Stumpkiller
09-09-2020, 09:23 PM
I had an FN Browning Safari grade in .270 WIN that I foolishly sold because I couldn't get sub 2" groups at 100 yards. (That's still a deer a year at 400 yards). But this area then was slugs shotgun for deer and I was after woodchucks . . . but the Powers opened deer to rifle a few years back. * rats *. Engraving, jeweled bolt, beautiful walnut stock. Gorgeous. And a 110 gr Hornady hollow point pushed to 3,300 fps from a .270 does interesting things to a woodchuck when you do hit them.

What you have to track is the Mauser bits that the sporterization is composed of. As mentioned above the FN work or rework will be 1950's or 1960's.

yobuck
09-10-2020, 09:53 AM
About the mid 60s when a few of us decided that sitting on our butts glassing made more sense than driving those steep hillsides, the first one of us who built a gun used an FN Mauser action. He used a straight taper 1”250 Hart 30 “ barrel in a large laminated bench rest stock. Howard Wolfe chambered the gun for the 300 Wetherby case necked to 7 mm, 7x300 WBY. He put many rounds thru that gun, and i believe he might still have it although he no longer hunts. Id be shooting that gun and assuming it shoots well id consider having it rechambered to 300 Win Mag.

Chris3.Drums
09-10-2020, 11:38 AM
Good information, fellas! The action is bedded already - I see what looks like epoxy/resin along the edge of the action where it meets the wood stock. It also looks like whoever did it also bedded the first 2" of the barrel since I cannot slide a dollar bill any closer to the action than that. For all I know, that's where the recoil lug is. I think this one is a converted .30-06 since the early FNs (accrding to the FN forum, I have no personal knowledge) were available in either .270 (or was it .243?) or .30-06. The long bolt throw suggests the bigger cartridge, but they both have the same case diameter at the bolt end, so who knows? I just haven't found any mention of them coming in .308, so I'm surprised it was converted to this caliber and not one of the better known target chamberings. Oh, well... I do have a lot of .308 ammo (don't reload yet, not far enough into this), so I will eventually see which pills it likes to eat. I still need to find a good scope, etc. and give it a good once-over before I trust it next to my cheek with a live round.

Chris3.Drums
09-28-2020, 04:16 PM

This is definitely a former .30-06, at least because of the bolt face size, long action, and chose re-barrel size. I've added some more pics here. There is some type of builder's mark on the shoulder of the bolt but I don't know how to research more on that. These old guns are like hidden stories waiting for retelling. The action, by the way, is ridiculously smooth. I'm curious what the stock is actually made of, assuming it is original. I noticed that it has Swarovski rings (I wish its scope came with, but alas...). It's also at least 10lb or thereabouts.

yobuck
09-29-2020, 07:54 AM
It would be a shame not to just have it checked out and shoot it as is.

Chris3.Drums
09-29-2020, 12:47 PM
I didn't add the new barrel and chambering, it was that way when I got it at the auction. I will eventually shoot it as-is but am trying to discern more about it and the history of these particular actions. It's definitely a keeper. I am also hoping that the stock is intact internally. Here's a stupid question (meaning I reserve the right to be embarrassed for asking): Can I safely remove the action from the stock and (assuming it passes inspection for damage) just screw it back in place or will I need to re-bed it?

yobuck
09-30-2020, 08:22 AM
I didn't add the new barrel and chambering, it was that way when I got it at the auction. I will eventually shoot it as-is but am trying to discern more about it and the history of these particular actions. It's definitely a keeper. I am also hoping that the stock is intact internally. Here's a stupid question (meaning I reserve the right to be embarrassed for asking): Can I safely remove the action from the stock and (assuming it passes inspection for damage) just screw it back in place or will I need to re-bed it?
Just be carefull not to damage the bedding, and removing/replacing the barrel and action is a non issue.
A number of years​ ago maybe 25, i slightly knew a guy who was a long range target shooter, competing at places like Camp Perry.
When he died i became the go between for the sale of his target rifle.
It was a 308 on model 70 Win action with an unknown brand barrel in a plain walnut target stock with 20x Unertle scope.
It sold to a young man i knew well for $1000.
It simply shot lights out, but he didnt want a 308, he wanted a 300 Win Mag for long range hunting.
So he took it to my gunsmith and had it rechambered to a Win Mag, and it still shot lights out.
Just one of several guns i sold for others that i should have bought myself. lol

wbm
09-30-2020, 09:43 AM
FWIW: In Navajo country FN Mausers can be found in Pawn from time to time. Not common but seem to be more here than other places.

Just one of several guns i sold for others that i should have bought myself.

Did the same with a Savage Model 12 BVSS in 300WSM a few years ago. Sold it to a friend for a friend. Stainless, fluted barrel...shot extremely well. Bad, bad, badbad move on my part!

Chris3.Drums
09-30-2020, 02:42 PM
Just be carefull not to damage the bedding, and removing/replacing the barrel and action is a non issue.
Thanks for the info!