PDA

View Full Version : Receiver tightening order

jims
09-06-2020, 07:58 AM
In a 2 bolt design does one tighten the one closest to the muzzle first or the one nearer the recoil pad? And why? And procedure, snug first, alternate etc. Thanks

Robinhood
09-06-2020, 01:26 PM
My method is to hold the action tight to the stock. Run both screws down to loose contact. Bring the forward screw down to a little more than finger tight.(The front of the action is supported better on either side of the front action screw, for this reason I start in the front first.) Then the rear action screw. From there I go in 10 ft/lb increments to the torque that action stock/chassis combination shoots best .

If you notice "squish" when going from finger tight to torque you have an issue that may impact accuracy. Pillar and bedding may be required to fix a bad inlet. Plastic bottom parts can squeeze or compress under torque. Soft wood and plastic without pillars will compress. If you are interested in consistency and improved accuracy pay attention to these and other symptoms.

Fuj'
09-07-2020, 08:19 AM
My method is to stand the rifle straight up to maintain a good
lug contact. If you need a third hand, a zip tie works to hold
the action in place. Finger tighten the screws then torque them
alternately at 5 inch lbs starting and finishing with the front
screw. Before and after the process, check to make sure the
tang is not touching the stock.

Nor Cal Mikie
09-07-2020, 09:48 AM
Front or back, no difference, snug fit and a little more, GO SHOOTING!! :cool:
Never had one come loose. Mine are either pillar bedded or mounted on V Blocks.
Guaranteed no squish!!;)

Texas10
09-07-2020, 05:18 PM
This: https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

jims
09-07-2020, 06:28 PM
I appreciate the information.