PDA

View Full Version : What parts for caliber change?

daved20319
09-05-2020, 11:02 AM
So I have a 12 FV in .223, I'd like to make it a 6.5 Creedmoor. As I understand it, all I should need is a barrel and bolt head. Is a new barrel nut mandatory, and as this is a target rifle, would I be smart to upgrade the recoil lug while I'm at it? Good source for bolt heads? Anything else I need to think about? Thanks.

Dave

Shooter0302
09-05-2020, 11:44 AM
Yes, Min. will be a bolt head and a BBl. plus tools to change the Bbl. If you plan to get an aftermarket bbl. and if you plan to **target shoot to 500 & beyond, a new recoil lug and Bbl. nut wouldn't hurt. Also , since your 12FV has a blind box magazine set up for a 223 case you will need a larger {.473} 308 size magazine follower.
** I added "target shoot" as a classifier between target shooting and hunting and their accuracy requirements, and how you set up your rifle for either.

daved20319
09-05-2020, 01:24 PM
Thanks, this will be a target rifle only, not a hunter. It's currently set up as a single shot, and I have no intention of changing that, so no worries about the magazine. Was thinking recoil lug and new nut would be worth doing regardless, and I hadn't thought about a barrel nut wrench and go/no-go gauges (yet). Got a little shopping to do, but it sounds like I'm good to go. Thanks again.

Dave

Texas10
09-05-2020, 10:52 PM
Everything you'll need is available at Northland Shooter Supply http://northlandshooterssupply.com/

I've done about a half dozen upgrades of the 12FV Cabelas special and shot my first match with a 12FV in 6.5 CM just a week ago and did OK. Some great laminate stocks available if that's your thing, Accustocks are good too and come up used from time to time for not much coin.