PDA

View Full Version : can anybody tell me the overall length of the long action firing pin?

greyling
08-30-2020, 04:46 PM
I have a pre-66 savage and have decided to rebarrel it. I bought a new bolt body, complete bolt head and was test fitting it. The firing pin fits through the retaining pin hole, and the bolt face, but the old firing pin is WAY too long because the different bolt face designs. And I cannot adjust the protrusion enough to fix it. I could buy a new pin, but It would be cheaper to just shorten mine. Does anybody know the overall length of a post 66 long action pin, and the length from the firing pin nut to the end of the pin?

sharpshooter
08-30-2020, 08:04 PM
Total length is 5-1/4". From the tip to where the threads start for the stop nut is 1-5/8".

greyling
08-31-2020, 04:45 PM
thanks. my current pin appears to be 5.45 long and 1.82 respectively. And when I visually shorten my firing pin to 1 5/8, I no longer have a straight shaft in the bolt face, but rather the radius where the pin narrows. Guess I'll be buying a new pin. suppose I'll replace the bolt head retaining pin too.
Total length is 5-1/4". From the tip to where the threads start for the stop nut is 1-5/8".