PDA

View Full Version : Savage 116 Accuracy Issues

savman12
08-29-2020, 02:16 PM
I got a new 300 win 116 weather warrior years back and it shot awesome initially. Now it appears to be inconsistent at long ranges. I got a 24" x 24" plate hanging and it sometimes can't hit it. It has the accustock with detachable mag.

I may have 300-500 rounds through it.

Some people have said the accustock is kind of junky and can't handle 30-06 / 300 Win and something can bend.

Advice? :)

savman12
08-29-2020, 07:05 PM
Just took it out of the stock and the recoil lug is bent forward towards the muzzle.

The stock has a very slight dent in it where the lug sits.

Could this be my problem?

tobnpr
08-29-2020, 07:19 PM
You bet.
I would suspect the action screws were loose when you started to remove them?
You'll need to replace the lug (specific to the Accustock), if you have action/barrel vises and means to set headspace (gauge, or sized case) simple DIY- or a quick job for your local smith.

Picture of the dent in the chassis would be helpful, likely it's OK- but any high spots/deformities must be stoned off. Lug must be able to seat against a perfectly flat/parallel surface.

savman12
08-29-2020, 07:27 PM
They were tight.They may have been loose in the past.

I don't think it's a accustock. Is there an easy way to tell? I don't see any aluminum inside.

Here are the pics:
https://ibb.co/xjLsh0L
https://ibb.co/Snf7Cr2
https://ibb.co/mHs7XWb
https://ibb.co/RQYHYJV

So I should start with a new recoil lug before a barrel swap?

jpdown
08-29-2020, 08:10 PM
That is not an Accustock. Does not have the aluminum frame. Get a new recoil lug and use some Devcon plastic epoxy to bed the recoil lug area. But I’d get a better/heavier stock for shooting steel with a 300 WM.

Monkeymaster
08-29-2020, 09:03 PM
You have the
Tupperware
Stock
:o
People have stiffend them up, and you can bed it but....
These stocks are not the best for accuracy.
They are best to keep costs down for savage.
Good luck

savman12
08-29-2020, 11:48 PM
Cheaper to throw it in the trash can. :)

Robinhood
08-30-2020, 11:08 AM
Cheaper to throw it in the trash can. :)

This is a true statement. I have bed and pillard a Stevens 200 stock and it shoots better than most. I don't know if I would do it again. I was practicing the art.

tobnpr
08-30-2020, 03:13 PM
Ditto above.
Not an Accustock, it will need heavy bedding behind the new lug- but preferably a new stock with integral bedding block. Better able to handle the punch of that round.

If the new stock isn't in the cards for you, bedding the lug area isn't difficult- but dealing with plastics is a different animal.
Some good info/videos online if you search. Epoxy doesn't achieve a reliable chemical bond to most plastics. You need to completely degrease the area, then use a rotary tool to thoroughly rough-up the surface, and drill a lot of angled divots into the area you're bedding. The epoxy needs to flow or be pressed into these divots so that you get a good mechanical bond to the plastic that won't pop loose.

Fuj'
08-30-2020, 03:53 PM
Sharp Shooter's Supply may have a better lug in stock also. NSS will have them also.

savman12
08-31-2020, 02:15 AM
I just ordered a B&C sporter stock. I'll reach out to those guys for a lug.

Does the B&C stocks bolt right up? Any adjustments needed?

tobnpr
08-31-2020, 04:23 PM
I own a couple of them, good value for the money IMO.
As long as you ordered correctly ( a lot of variable with Savages) fit should be fine.
Make sure you get a lug that will fit the stock inletting. Parallel sides, tapered, thickness- all can affect whether the stock will fit without breaking out the Foredom/Dremel...

savman12
08-31-2020, 10:58 PM
I have another 111 30-06 non-accustock with a blind magazine that is inside the stock, so it's a centerfeed. I assume I have to order the detachable mag stock and convert it.

Can I get a hinged floor plate or DBM from Savage? Who sells them?

Does NSS recoil lug fit in the B&C without an issue?

tobnpr
09-01-2020, 09:19 PM
PTG makes bottom metal for the LA Savage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1DR9g8RUJk&t=236s

Assume you ordered the stock accordingly? Sadly, CDI closed after the owner passed away last year. Great product at a great price- and he would CNC inlet the stock if you sent it to him.

On the lug, not sure- but I believe they inlet for the lug large enough to accommodate thicker aftermarket lugs- but again, there is a difference between tapered and parallel sided lugs. Since you've already ordered the stock, and have the OEM lug- probably should just wait until the stock arrives and you can see what you're dealing with.

gbflyer
09-02-2020, 10:38 AM
I’ve read about the bent recoil lug but never witnessed it. It amazes me how this happens yet Tikka T3X as an example survives with the system they use. That Savage lug must really be soft.

savman12
09-02-2020, 09:55 PM
I actually prefer wooden stocks. I love how the Rem 700 CDL feels.

I guess I'll find out when the parts arrive. The 30-06's recoil is slightly bent on the other rifle as well. The 300 Win is really noticeable thought. Hopefully these mods help out.

Thanks for the help everyone.