PDA

View Full Version : Savage Comes Through

bluealtered
08-28-2020, 11:32 AM
About two years ago i picked up another Savage, (trophy hunter) in your basic 6.5cm. Since 1965 i have always had at least one and most times three or four savage rifles in the safe. Some shot good right out of the box and a couple i had to play with a bit, but they came around. Good groups to me has always been sub moa. Like any brand rifle you learn tricks sometimes to get them to do their best. This rifle tested me because it wouldn't make moa no matter what i did to it. I would take it home and set it aside until i was ready to try something else.

I would try something new to it and go to the range, shoot twenty rounds and come home wondering else to try because it just wouldn't group. This went on for about two years until i had put 110rds of American Gunner through it and then as i was cleaning it, it finally showed me the problem. There was a crack in the front action piller that now showed and it went completely through to the metal sleeve that was molded into it.

It took that many rounds to vibrate it enough times to become visible for me to see it. I sat there wondering how much this would cost for a new stock since i had had it a couple of years now, and to be honest i couldn't remember if i had registered it or not. I called savage and got a nice guy, i gave him my serial number and the problem with the rifle and he said a new stock would be in the mail the next day, it was. I put the new stock on and headed for the range, after a few shots it was zeroed in and the next five shot group came in right at a 1/2 inch. Yes i'm a very happy camper and want to shout out thanks to savage and it's customer service.

SavageSeminole
08-28-2020, 11:36 AM
That’s awesome. Good customer service right there. I’m sure you super happy that you finally figured out the issue, got it resolved and are now seeing the true accuracy potential.

Texas10
08-28-2020, 12:28 PM
Can you post a pic of the cracked pillar, we'd all like to see exactly what you found. Very interesting find. I have purchased "lightly used" laminate stocks off the 'net only to find the laminates structure surrounding the pillars to be cracked and actually displaced rearward. I sent them back for refund before trying, but your experience seems to confirm that my reluctance to use those stocks was well placed.

bluealtered
09-05-2020, 10:15 AM
I can't show a pic since i sent it back in before ever thinking of taking one. However I have been using the savage "tupperware" stocks since they first came out and have so far always been able to get moa or better, even with the very first ones which you really could twist with your hands. The ones they are making now are a vast improvement.

dye7barrel
09-06-2020, 09:16 AM
Glad to hear they made it right.

No.343
10-02-2020, 09:09 AM
That is good to hear.