Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

wbm
09-24-2020, 02:49 PM
Had a good A&B barrel once.

mikeinco
09-24-2020, 03:09 PM
there s a RIM FIRE FORUM...this ain't it
nice try 22 RIMFIRE!!!!!!
sorry but that is not bench rest, but a money game pit together by people that could not win in br.
i'll pass on the list.

http://www.proshootingleague.com/results/2018-results/shilen-challenge/equipment-list/

More shilens in this list than any other maker

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

jkv45
09-24-2020, 04:50 PM
Someone PLEASE find the absolute best BR barrel for mikeinco!

He's about to blow a gasket from the frustration of everyone telling him what the second-best barrel is!

Who knew it would be such a difficult question to answer?

wbm
09-24-2020, 04:53 PM

LOL. Yeah. I think old OP Red figured that out fast. He hit the door in late August and ain't been back since.
Maybe the PB got to him.

mikeinco
09-24-2020, 05:26 PM
if you look I POSTED A LIST. and i just challenge posters of lists not supporting the original question.
the last guy posted 2018 RIMFIRE bbl makers.
i have an answer.
its people trying to justify their choices that are mudding the waters.
2nd tier/mid tier are fine for lots of application.
THAT WAS NOT THE QUESTION.

Someone PLEASE find the absolute best BR barrel for mikeinco!

He's about to blow a gasket from the frustration of everyone telling him what the second-best barrel is!

jkv45
09-24-2020, 09:19 PM
if you look I POSTED A LIST. and i just challenge posters of lists not supporting the original question.
the last guy posted 2018 RIMFIRE bbl makers.
i have an answer.
its people trying to justify their choices that are mudding the waters.
2nd tier/mid tier are fine for lots of application.
THAT WAS NOT THE QUESTION.
WHAT IS IT?

Inquiring minds want to know!

mikeinco
09-24-2020, 10:59 PM
nost of the inquiring minds know how to READ.
POST 32
"so i went to the equipment list to a state br match from last year of the top 13 shooters
1 bartlien ( number 1)
10 kriegers
1 shilien
1 wiliams

is that a clue ?"

WHAT IS IT?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Fuj'
09-25-2020, 08:04 AM
Ol' Robin Ardoin sent me an equipment list from one of the F-class
nationals held in Arizona. I was mainly interested to see who was
shooting Savage target actions, and there were several doing well.
Brux was at the top of the heap and the most used for that meet.
Now going at the same time, The PRS boys had Bartlein at the top
of the heap and most used.....Go figure !! So my advice would be
to buy any one of the "Killer B's" and get the one with the shortest
lead time if "Bug Holes" does not have one in stock.

mikeinco
09-25-2020, 11:50 AM
the x ring at 600 yards on an f class target is SEVEN TIMES THE AREA of the x ring on a 600 yard benchrest target.
not answering the original question.
"
Highest quality aftermarket Savage replacement barrels (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?67487-Highest-quality-aftermarket-Savage-replacement-barrels)"

Ol' Robin Ardoin sent me an equipment list from one of the F-class
nationals held in Arizona. I was mainly interested to see who was
shooting Savage target actions, and there were several doing well.
Brux was at the top of the heap and the most used for that meet.
Now going at the same time, The PRS boys had Bartlein at the top
of the heap and most used.....Go figure !! So my advice would be
to buy any one of the "Killer B's" and get the one with the shortest
lead time if "Bug Holes" does not have one in stock.

mikeinco
09-25-2020, 11:59 AM
lets put it this way
a 1 moa rifle is a great rifle for hunting, a terrible benchrest rifle
a 1/2 moa rifle is a great f class rifle, a terrible benchrest rifle
so lots of very good bbls but only the very best win in benchrest.
when looking for the best bbls, look at benchrest
centerfire benchrest
i am building a 308 dun trget rifle, not a benchrest rifle.
i choose lilja, not big in benchrest but well known in the accuracy world.
define your task, pick your parts

Ted_Feasel
09-25-2020, 12:34 PM
POST 32
"so i went to the equipment list to a state br match from last year of the top 13 shooters
1 bartlien ( number 1)
10 kriegers
1 shilien
1 wiliams

is that a clue ?"There's alot more that needs to be known besides the barrel. 1)actions 2)triggers 3)brass.(believe it or not there are br shooters that shoot.3rd party ammo.. ) there is a 4 shot group at 120 meters. One shot intentionally off to test the accuracy of the mil dots. That rifle was built by me using shilen barrel, savage target action , precision ground lug all from nss and a Choate stock, vortex optics.. all in all under 2 grand, 43.2 gr w748 , 175 smk.
I was supposed to start MR mastery this year but stuff happened.. maybe I'm ignorant but I think that rifle has the ability to compete with the best if I canhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200925/07bd26310de04eaaf140baea8140e2ad.jpg

mikeinco
09-25-2020, 01:03 PM
right ted
but that was not the question
neither was what is a good enough bbl for xxx competition or hunting.
( that would be a good question for most savage shooters IMHO)
"highest quality...." was the question

There's alot more that needs to be known besides the barrel. 1)actions 2)triggers 3)brass.(believe it or not there are br shooters that shoot.3rd party ammo.. ) there is a 4 shot group at 120 meters. One shot intentionally off to test the accuracy of the mil dots. That rifle was built by me using shilen barrel, savage target action , precision ground lug all from nss and a Choate stock, vortex optics.. all in all under 2 grand, 43.2 gr w748 , 175 smk.
I was supposed to start MR mastery this year but stuff happened.. maybe I'm ignorant but I think that rifle has the ability to compete with the best if I canhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200925/07bd26310de04eaaf140baea8140e2ad.jpg

Ted_Feasel
09-25-2020, 02:04 PM
right ted
but that was not the question
neither was what is a good enough bbl for xxx competition or hunting.
( that would be a good question for most savage shooters IMHO)
"highest quality...." was the questionYeah, I get that and I guess in a round about way i was saying shilen has been extremely accurate and consistent for me but I would have to say criterion has also.. ive used both of them on savage and ARs and have been tickled pink.. I gotta be honest though, I have never tried bartlien or some of the other top names so I cant really say x is better than y.. all I can say with certainty is x performed excellent.

wbm
09-25-2020, 02:47 PM
sorry but that is not bench rest, but a money game pit together by people that could not win in br.

How do you know that they are people that "could not win in br."

jkv45
09-26-2020, 08:31 PM
POST 32
1 bartlien ( number 1)
10 kriegers
1 shilien
1 wiliams

is that a clue ?"
That's good enough for you - State level? So whatever barrel was the winner at that competition is the best?

Writing in complete sentences with proper punctuation and correct spelling is always helpful.

Not everyone is as smart as you.

mikeinco
09-26-2020, 08:42 PM
the 2020 nationals are being held this week...maybe that will be good enough for you.

you could look them up and post them since you have such a interest.

That's good enough for you - State level? So whatever barrel was the winner at that competition is the best?

Writing in complete sentences with proper punctuation and correct spelling is always helpful.

Not everyone is as smart as you.

jkv45
09-26-2020, 09:07 PM
the 2020 nationals are being held this week...maybe that will be good enough for you.

you could look them up and post them since you have such a interest.
I'm not the one arguing that the info posted from other precision rifle disciplines isn't good enough.

Dave Hoback
09-26-2020, 09:43 PM
Look, it just got real because the Interwebz Spelling & Grammar Police done shown up! THAT, my friends, is the legit sign of reality...realness...realimication.. UH OH!

mikeinco
09-26-2020, 10:56 PM
the problem is your version of precision does not answer the ACTUAL QUESTION THAT WAS ASKED.

I'm not the one arguing that the info posted from other precision rifle disciplines isn't good enough.

Fuj'
09-27-2020, 09:06 AM
I know of the familiar aftermarket barrel manufacturers that produce better quality replacement prefit replacement barrels for Savage 110 series rifles. Just wondering what the consensus is on who makes the very best quality premium barrels currently? I understand there will be differences of opinion, but is there a barrel maker that clearly stands above the rest? This would be for a dedicated bench gun for myself, (6mm bore) and not having to follow any limitations or restrictions as to sanctioning bodies for competition. Strictly for static target and long range varmint shooting for my individual enjoyment....but with accuracy as the highest priority. Look forward to the discussion.

Here is the original post fellas.....One statement that stands out is; "but is there
a barrel maker that clearly stands above the rest ??

My answer would be to say "NO" at this point in time. It's a group of barrel makers
that share the top. Pick your poison, and drive it.