PDA

View Full Version : Highest quality aftermarket Savage replacement barrels

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Dave Hoback
09-22-2020, 03:25 PM
I still say it’s not a question of “The Top shooters use such & such a barrel because it’s the best”, but rather “Such & such a barrel is at the top BECAUSE the best shooters are using it!”

Several manufacturers have had their name at the top...Shilen, Krieger, Bartlein... In the end people are quite brand loyal. And those of us in rank & file love to mimic our professional heros, LOL.

I stated a bit, but I’ll go further. As I have a considerable knowledge of steels/alloys and such, and over the last many years have taken research & study with manufacturers techniques. Beyond the brochure/commercial “Gotchya” statements like 400ModBB Material, or Ratchet Rifling.... Our US barrel manufacturers do NOT make their own steel (or cone up with new kinds!). They buy it from the huge steel processors...Nucor, Carpenter, Hesteel, etc. And once again, barrel manufacturers use the SAME machines, which they also buy. And anymore, you can’t even give the nod to the machinist...as barrels are ALL made via CNC machines. When we come down to it, the top quality single point cut barrels are virtually the same.

The Gunsmith doing the chambering is of much higher importance I would think.

Orezona
09-22-2020, 03:56 PM
Eric Cortina shoots Brux. He is the captain of the Team Lapua F-Class Open team. He is now dabbling in PRS. Very honest about sucking at it. Watch his videos and how he has been asked by top shooters about sharing information. The last video is an interview of the guy that the Redding S Die is named after.

mikeinco
09-22-2020, 04:20 PM
kelbly makes actions and rifles...HE BUYS BBLS...
THE QUOTE IS NOT A BIG DEAL.
someone must pull the trigger.
chose your shooting game, then pick your equipment.

"Barrels don't set records.....shooters set records." -George Kelbly

Robinhood
09-22-2020, 04:27 PM
Eric Cortina shoots Brux. He is the captain of the Team Lapua F-Class Open team. He is now dabbling in PRS. Very honest about sucking at it. Watch his videos and how he has been asked by top shooters about sharing information. The last video is an interview of the guy that the Redding S Die is named after.

Who was it? Speedy?

mikeinco
09-22-2020, 04:32 PM
i disagree in that there are bbl makers and then there are artist, and the same of gunsmiths. all produce very good bbls and most are very good gunsmiths but only a hand full of each set records year in and year out.
the big picture in shooting is it is a SHOOTING SYSTEM.
the RIFLE must be capable of the task...purpose built for the game.
the AMMO must be crafted to extract all from the rifle at the ranges shot and targets size of the game.
the SHOOTER must have the basic skills to compete at the top level, typically called experience.
and excellent gunsmith cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear...and there are more sows ears than there are excellent bbls.

I still say it’s not a question of “The Top shooters use such & such a barrel because it’s the best”, but rather “Such & such a barrel is at the top BECAUSE the best shooters are using it!”

Several manufacturers have had their name at the top...Shilen, Krieger, Bartlein... In the end people are quite brand loyal. And those of us in rank & file love to mimic our professional heros, LOL.

I stated a bit, but I’ll go further. As I have a considerable knowledge of steels/alloys and such, and over the last many years have taken research & study with manufacturers techniques. Beyond the brochure/commercial “Gotchya” statements like 400ModBB Material, or Ratchet Rifling.... Our US barrel manufacturers do NOT make their own steel (or cone up with new kinds!). They buy it from the huge steel processors...Nucor, Carpenter, Hesteel, etc. And once again, barrel manufacturers use the SAME machines, which they also buy. And anymore, you can’t even give the nod to the machinist...as barrels are ALL made via CNC machines. When we come down to it, the top quality single point cut barrels are virtually the same.

The Gunsmith doing the chambering is of much higher importance I would think.

Robinhood
09-22-2020, 04:58 PM
....and not all barrels are cut on the same machine. There are several names that do gun drilling and lapping machines as well as old P$W to newer CNC cut rifling and ones that do button rifling

Dave Hoback
09-22-2020, 05:38 PM
i disagree in that there are bbl makers and then there are artist, and the same of gunsmiths. all produce very good bbls and most are very good gunsmiths but only a hand full of each set records year in and year out.
the big picture in shooting is it is a SHOOTING SYSTEM.
the RIFLE must be capable of the task...purpose built for the game.
the AMMO must be crafted to extract all from the rifle at the ranges shot and targets size of the game.
the SHOOTER must have the basic skills to compete at the top level, typically called experience.
and excellent gunsmith cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear...and there are more sows ears than there are excellent bbls.

Nope! Has nothing to do with experience. You can shoot 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 50 years.... and you will STILL not be as good as the top shooters in the world. Shooting is a task like anything else. Looking at anything, shooting...sports... whatever. While constant & prolonged practice will make you VERY GOOD, you still will not be as good as someone who has the natural ability. Do you need the best equipment? Of course. I’m not one of these people who thinks a professional could take a 2nd hand Mosin Nagant and best an Amateur with a custom built rig... of course not. I’m talking level playing fields, no amount will of repetition will somehow give you that “natural” skill. As for disagreeing with the barrel making. What you say was true 100 years ago. Not anymore. I suggest you brush up on CNC.

Makes me think about people (with an ignorance) believe that “Knifesmiths” make a BETTER knife. Well yeah...to a point. An exceptional Knifesmith vs an amateur and both Forging blades. I’m a professional custom knife Maker...not a knifesmith. I am not an artist. I make truly high performance knives with modern high alloy tool steels, via stock removal. (I take a piece of steel and grind away everything that isn’t a knife) My knives don’t use pattern welded steel with Ebony Burl hardwood & such. Yet my blades will outperform ANY forged knife...PERIOD! Sorry it’s off topic. Just your comment reminded me of this. These are characteristics I’ve found many Gunsmiths & Knifesmiths to share. And I’m the first one TALKING about the BS they share!

mikeinco
09-22-2020, 05:55 PM
so explain to me
a guy builds a long range benchrest rifle for 600/1000 yard benchrest.
works up a load with a new unknown bullet
has never shot in a 600 yard benchrest match
and walks away from his FIRST 600 yard match
as a NATIONAL CHAMP.
BOTTOM LINE IS WE DISAGREE AND IN THE USA IT IS ALLOWED.

Nope! Has nothing to do with experience. You can shoot 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 50 years.... and you will STILL not be as good as the top shooters in the world. Shooting is a task like anything else. Looking at anything, shooting...sports... whatever. While constant & prolonged practice will make you VERY GOOD, you still will not be as good as someone who has the natural ability. Do you need the best equipment? Of course. I’m not one of these people who thinks a professional could take a 2nd hand Mosin Nagant and best an Amateur with a custom built rig... of course not. I’m talking level playing fields, no amount will of repetition will somehow give you that “natural” skill. As for disagreeing with the barrel making. What you say was true 100 years ago. Not anymore. I suggest you brush up on CNC.

Makes me think about people (with an ignorance) believe that “Knifesmiths” make a BETTER knife. Well yeah...to a point. An exceptional Knifesmith vs an amateur and both Forging blades. I’m a professional custom knife Maker...not a knifesmith. I am not an artist. I make truly high performance knives with modern high alloy tool steels, via stock removal. (I take a piece of steel and grind away everything that isn’t a knife) My knives don’t use pattern welded steel with Ebony Burl hardwood & such. Yet my blades will outperform ANY forged knife...PERIOD! Sorry it’s off topic. Just your comment reminded me of this. These are characteristics I’ve found many Gunsmiths & Knifesmiths to share. And I’m the first one TALKING about the BS they share!

Orezona
09-22-2020, 07:02 PM
Who was it? Speedy?

Yes sir! Great interview.

Dave Hoback
09-22-2020, 07:42 PM
so explain to me
as a NATIONAL CHAMP.
BOTTOM LINE IS WE DISAGREE AND IN THE USA IT IS ALLOWED.

You just agreed with me there Mike. You said guy NEVER shot that competition... So he has Natural Ability.

I agree with you either way. About it being OK to disagree. That’s typically my line.... usually said when the person debating me loses their ISH and resorts to insults. Not usually after a single back & forth. But anyway.

mikeinco
09-22-2020, 10:45 PM
lol it was me.
not so sure about that natural ability..i did tie a national record.

You just agreed with me there Mike. You said guy NEVER shot that competition... So he has Natural Ability.

I agree with you either way. About it being OK to disagree. That’s typically my line.... usually said when the person debating me loses their ISH and resorts to insults. Not usually after a single back & forth. But anyway.

mikeinco
09-22-2020, 10:48 PM
for the record speedy is the guy that chambered my first 6ppc with the wrong reamer and left me blowing in the wind as he headed off to teach.
it was a dave kiff reamer and he got me the correct reamer even thi he was owed money by speedy. not a good picture.

Yes sir! Great interview.

Fuj'
09-24-2020, 07:11 AM
so explain to me
as a NATIONAL CHAMP.

Ya' gotta' love "Murphy's Law" I remember the days of Douglas and
Hart shoot outs. Shilen came along and seemed new history was in all
the shooting rags. Which reminds me.....Seems I will not get the chance
to do a Broughton. That button barrel was used to set some records !!

Ted_Feasel
09-24-2020, 09:04 AM
I belive shilens are still setting records

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mikeinco
09-24-2020, 11:51 AM
maybe you could show us some bench rest records they have set RECENTLY.
they run a nice ad but it aint about bench rest.

I belive shilens are still setting records

mikeinco
09-24-2020, 11:53 AM
i have a broughton on my 300 win mag 600/1000 yd rifle. shot very well but pretty much done now.
and no more to be had.

Ya' gotta' love "Murphy's Law" I remember the days of Douglas and
Hart shoot outs. Shilen came along and seemed new history was in all
the shooting rags. Which reminds me.....Seems I will not get the chance
to do a Broughton. That button barrel was used to set some records !!

Ted_Feasel
09-24-2020, 12:12 PM
maybe you could show us some bench rest records they have set RECENTLY.
they run a nice ad but it aint about bench rest.http://www.proshootingleague.com/results/2018-results/shilen-challenge/equipment-list/

More shilens in this list than any other maker

Ted_Feasel
09-24-2020, 12:13 PM
http://www.proshootingleague.com/results/2018-results/shilen-challenge/equipment-list/

More shilens in this list than any other maker

Sent from my SM-N975U using TapatalkAlot of mullers also

Dave Hoback
09-24-2020, 01:49 PM
lol it was me.

Yeah... kinda figured that, LOL. Like the ol’ “I have A FRIEND who would like to know....”

Dave Hoback
09-24-2020, 02:20 PM
This reminds me of the nonsensical argument in the AR world of many who believe the Cold Hammer Forged barrels are somehow MORE accurate. So the pass along this notion among other ignorant shooters. I’ve watched this since the beginning of the AR “Build” phenomena. I was there from the beginning, and seen all the fads & ignorance. CHF barrels somehow being magically more accurate is prevalent today. I think back to the early 00’s when I started building AK47s. The Romanian kits I would pick up used CHF barrels.....They certainly WERE NOT! LOL!

As I mentioned with certain things... a “special NEW(not really) material or super-dee-duper new rifling technique WON’T make a magical shooting barrel with other worldly ability!

Yes, I do believe that our known top level barrels DO have a “good, better, best” hierarchy if you will. And personally I believe Bartlein to be the top! That said, people like me will NEVER see the difference! And by people like me, I mean pretty much everyone here. (If you have to post in a public Forum about how good..or national level you are, well then...uh..cudos! But I believe in a certain gifted few who simply have something that none of US can learn! So sure, sure.... take Shilen, Criterion, Krieger, Benchmark, Bartlein, Douglas, McGowen, etc., etc. & etc...there’s some difference in accuracy quality, perhaps to some very gifted few who are able to compete scores differing in THOUSANDTHS of an inch! But I’ll never see it.

Going with what I previously said about barrel makers using virtually the same steel, machinery, techniques & tools.... well, have you ever stopped to consider that the prices among barrel makers are virtually the same? Look at blanks from Bartlein, Krieger, Shilen, etc. very, very close in price.