PDA

View Full Version : Highest quality aftermarket Savage replacement barrels

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Fuj'
09-08-2020, 08:44 AM
That's pretty much the case, there's no new materials in the US.

It may be in the wording but Bartlein is using a differing alloy for the new
barrels that are offering near twice the wear ability. I see Frank gets on
here every once in a while. Maybe get some direct info.

Shooter0302
09-09-2020, 12:20 PM
That's pretty much the case, there's no new materials in the US, however Lothar Walther patented it's special steel decades ago and AFAIK are still producing barrels made from their steel which is produced in only two mills in the world and not available to other barrel makers.

Their website used to detail the history of this special steel, but I can't seem to find it anywhere recently. From what I've read, most gunsmiths were hesitant to turn a L.W. special steel barrel because of the difficulty in working with it. Special cutters, lubricants and machining talents were needed to get an acceptable finish, and it was just too much trouble to be able to make a profit with LW steel.

I do see Savage prefits in their catalog. https://www.lothar-walther.com/drop-in-gun-barrels/savage-small-shank-rifle-barrels/

Some History of LW.https://www.lothar-walther.de/media/pdf/21/a8/1d/ProspektEnglisch.pdf

Just an FYI, they are in the process of upgrading their "prefit" Bbl's page, more info when it comes in

Ted_Feasel
09-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Just an FYI, they are in the process of upgrading their "prefit" Bbl's page, more info when it comes inI believe shilen sources exclusively from one of those

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Shooter0302
09-09-2020, 07:30 PM
I believe shilen sources exclusively from one of those

Are you saying you think Shilen gets it's barrels from L.W ??
EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEANT BY WHAT YOU SAID.

Dave Hoback
09-14-2020, 01:12 PM
Hi Dave, did you get my comment. L.;)

Sorry Levon, I’ve been away. Of course...I’m always up for discussion.

Ted_Feasel
09-14-2020, 01:28 PM
Are you saying you think Shilen gets it's barrels from L.W ??
EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEANT BY WHAT YOU SAID.I'm not sure of their source name but I know they source the steel exclusively from on source

mikeinco
09-18-2020, 08:35 PM
i think criterion in prefit,
but i doubt i would go for a prefit on any rifle i want to be top notch. close but not top.
spend the bucks get a none nut fitted bbl.
6mm what is your plan ? 6br/6bra/6dasher are all excellent choices.
some of the names listed are not top IMHO
try krieger lilja bartlien
for a list of top bbl makers go to the top of accuracy..bench rest, look at bbl in the top 10/20 from big matches.

jkv45
09-19-2020, 09:32 AM
i think criterion in prefit,
but i doubt i would go for a prefit on any rifle i want to be top notch. close but not top.
spend the bucks get a none nut fitted bbl.
6mm what is your plan ? 6br/6bra/6dasher are all excellent choices.
some of the names listed are not top IMHO
try krieger lilja bartlien
for a list of top bbl makers go to the top of accuracy..bench rest, look at bbl in the top 10/20 from big matches.

This is a list of most popular barrels, and some other specs, used in the Precision Rifle Series (PRS) for reference -

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/01/05/best-rifle-barrel-2/

mikeinco
09-19-2020, 12:57 PM
the question was 'HIGHEST QUALITY", not most popular. so look at highest accuracy shooting.

but that data is skewed based on that series,not on accuracy.
you have to carry the rifle, shoot at large targets(compared to br) and some of those are prefit bbl i think( maybe not).
like i said look at benchrest results for the most accurate bbls.

)QUOTE=jkv45;479138]This is a list of most popular barrels, and some other specs, used in the Precision Rifle Series (PRS) for reference -

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/01/05/best-rifle-barrel-2/[/QUOTE]

dye7barrel
09-19-2020, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys, great info.

jkv45
09-20-2020, 07:51 PM
the question was 'HIGHEST QUALITY", not most popular. so look at highest accuracy shooting.

you have to carry the rifle, shoot at large targets(compared to br) and some of those are prefit bbl i think( maybe not).

)QUOTE=jkv45;479138]This is a list of most popular barrels, and some other specs, used in the Precision Rifle Series (PRS) for reference -

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/01/05/best-rifle-barrel-2/

Jeez...sorry. I though there may be some useful info in there.

Guess not...

mikeinco
09-20-2020, 08:33 PM
so i went to the equipment list to a state br match from last year of the top 13 shooters
1 bartlien ( number 1)
10 kriegers
1 shilien
1 wiliams

is that a clue ?

Orezona
09-21-2020, 10:11 PM
Jeez...sorry. I though there may be some useful info in there.

Guess not...

I know right. That's what you get for trying to help.

Ted_Feasel
09-22-2020, 06:53 AM

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/01/05/best-rifle-barrel-2/[/QUOTE]Look at top 2 with most awards and trophies

mikeinco
09-22-2020, 11:05 AM
again..that discipline is NOT ABOUT TOP ACCURACY.
it is a shooting GAME where only better than average shooting is required because of other parts of the game.

if middle of the road is fine with you then pick anything .
the question is "highest quality" not middle of the road.
proof has never shot bench rest small groups ...and bench rest guys have tried

Look at top 2 with most awards and trophies

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Ted_Feasel
09-22-2020, 11:17 AM
I know without hesitation I go with shilen or criterion every time. Never had anything less than flawless products from either.. only caveat I'd give about shilen is make sure you look at the grade you are getting, they have match and select match, select is the top notch of their line ,.lapped till they gleam, no tooling marks,

jkv45
09-22-2020, 12:00 PM
again..that discipline is NOT ABOUT TOP ACCURACY.
it is a shooting GAME where only better than average shooting is required because of other parts of the game.

if middle of the road is fine with you then pick anything .
the question is "highest quality" not middle of the road.
proof has never shot bench rest small groups ...and bench rest guys have tried

Look at top 2 with most awards and trophies

It sounds like you know the right answer to the question.

Why don't you just tell us so we all know?

Robinhood
09-22-2020, 12:02 PM
I think Mike is taking the highest quality discussion to a higher level. The Bench Rest and the F/Class(Belly Benchrest) community have very high expectations from their barrels. Nothing like the vast majority of us. In that competitive realm there are a few barrel makers and a small group of gunsmiths that continuously produce winners in high level competition.

If you look at some forums you will see sellers with a good supply of barrel blanks. Those are often culls from a larger order to find the ones with the least flaws. It does not mean those barrels are bad it simply means that statistically those flaws could be a contributing factor to the loss of accuracy and precision. It might even come down to the mill certs(traceable quality) on a run of blanks being the best.

mikeinco
09-22-2020, 01:25 PM
i do not know....
define replacement bbl
i thread and chamber bbls...that is a replacement bbl to me.
it you mean prefit....that is a whole 'nother can of worms.
i am thinking about a drop in on a 308 single shot, but most likely will buy a blank and thread and chamber it.
o am not applying pure benchrest standards, but industry standards for top ot the line precision bbls.
the SEAL MK 13 uses a lija custom profile bbl but not be standards as these guns are shot in the mud and dirt.
function and quality are required. if i remember correctly these are required to be just under moa at 600 yards.

but the question was still...the best, not almost or what can i afford.

I think Mike is taking the highest quality discussion to a higher level. The Bench Rest and the F/Class(Belly Benchrest) community have very high expectations from their barrels. Nothing like the vast majority of us. In that competitive realm there are a few barrel makers and a small group of gunsmiths that continuously produce winners in high level competition.

If you look at some forums you will see sellers with a good supply of barrel blanks. Those are often culls from a larger order to find the ones with the least flaws. It does not mean those barrels are bad it simply means that statistically those flaws could be a contributing factor to the loss of accuracy and precision. It might even come down to the mill certs(traceable quality) on a run of blanks being the best.

sharpshooter
09-22-2020, 03:19 PM
"Barrels don't set records.....shooters set records." -George Kelbly