PDA

View Full Version : Finding the true OAL

DIESEL TECH
11-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Guys I don't know if I did this the right way so how about a little help from the savage pros's.
I have a Savage 12 F/TR in .308 this gun has about 150 rounds though it and I was working on a round for it, the first thing was to find the OAL. I have a stoney point OAL gauge but it did not work real good it wanted to stick in the barrel. So what I did I took a used fired case that was shot in this gun and lightly seated a 168gr dummy case in the chamber at 2.250.5 and the bolt was tight but it would lock so I seated the bullet .005 at a time until the bullet would not stick in the lands of the barrel and the bolt was free which was 2.222.0 so I guess that is where I should start from right?? This way was slow but I think it will be real close to right.. If I am wrong please set me right.. This is a great forum with a ton of info thanks guy!

possum1
11-08-2010, 11:36 PM
I don't think your doing it the wrong way Seating the bullet 5 thou. at a time is the way I used to do it, now I use my Lee collet die adjusted very light, works great for me.

DIESEL TECH
11-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the reply Tell me more about the lee tool?

pdog06
11-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Shouldnt this be in the reloading section instead of the Shootout section?

possum1
11-09-2010, 07:45 AM
The Lee collet die is a neck sizing die. It's not made for finding OAL, but it work's great when you adjust it light enough to get just enough neck tension so the lands of the barrel seats the bullet. This link explains the process at about 2:30 on the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgHR43TN5Zk&feature=related Hadn't noticed where it was posted, they'll move it I'm sure.

DIESEL TECH
11-10-2010, 12:05 AM
I am sorry for posting it in the wrong place.. Thanks all of you for helping me with this, I am new posting on the forum. I read up here all the time but since this chemo for cancer it has been a while since I started back shooting, again thanks..

EricCartmann
11-10-2010, 12:54 AM
I am coming to the conclusion that OAL does not play a big role like most people think it does.

I loaded about 3 sets each of 175gr SMK. One set was 2.82" and the other was 2.86". I used the Lee Collet Die and neck tension was on the tighter side (took a little more effort to seat bullet compared to my RCBS full sizer die). End result was OAL of both the 2.82" rounds and the 2.86" round shortened to ~2.80" round after extraction. So my conclusion is no matter what I use for OAL for this particular rifle, the rounds will always be 2.80" when it sits in the chamber.

rcinit
11-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Keep in mind different bullets will have different ogive's, thus changing the OAL. I establish OAL for each type of bullet I use by measureing from the ogive rather than the tip of the bullet. I only use that OAL for the particular bullet/case combo I worked up the loads in too. Change one the componets, start over again to find a safe accurate load.

DIESEL TECH
11-10-2010, 11:50 PM
I found the same as you did when I change the type bullet I use in had to reset the OAL to that type of bullet I am loading, The MK set at 2.222 and the bugers at 2.174 the end results of 0.10 jump.

DIESEL TECH
11-10-2010, 11:52 PM
I guess we need to move this topic to the right place to post??

Blue Avenger
11-13-2010, 01:32 PM
helps people find it to answer you ;)

Predator1
11-15-2010, 12:49 PM
I use a Stoney point with good results. But because all bullets are different I measure each style of bullet I'm going to shoot and write in my manual. For instance in my 22-250 I measured 50gr vmax, 50gr nosler, 55gr nosler, 40gr vmax. Each bullet will give you a different measurement cause of the diff ogives. I write each down and when I load for that bullet I look to see where to set my die.