PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding aftermarket barrel nut

Benmuncie
08-25-2020, 02:07 PM
I have searched the "search forum" and cannot find the particular barrel nut I remember seeing on here last year. Someone shared about a barrel nut that can be loosened and tightened with a box end wrench. I'm pretty sure it was a stainless nut, but finish is not important to me.
Does this sound familiar to anyone? If you can share the name/company or the link I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to change out my round barrel nut that now has pipe wrench marks on it.

If you have any other barrel nut recommendations that might be user friendly, feel free to share. Thanks.

celltech
08-25-2020, 02:50 PM
https://patriotvalleyarms.com/barrel-nut-for-savage-remage-barrels/

Benmuncie
08-25-2020, 03:00 PM
https://patriotvalleyarms.com/barrel-nut-for-savage-remage-barrels/

That's the one. Thanks for such a quick response.

Orezona
08-25-2020, 04:45 PM
How do you measure the recommended torque with a crescent wrench?

mnbogboy2
08-25-2020, 06:44 PM
Make sure to reduce the desired torque reading by the difference in length ratio (same as using the barrel nut wrench) ie; add 12 to the distance from barrel nut center to square drive center. Now divide 12 by that sum. Now multiply that quotient by your desired torque. The result will be the torque you should use.
Example: step 1. 12+3=15
step 2. 12÷15= .8
step 3. 45 ft/lbs. × .8 = 36

Side note: I have a PVA nut and it is nice. Tolerances in mine are good and the tighter fit than Savage nuts will help you find the slightest imperfection in your barrel threads.

Orezona
08-25-2020, 07:50 PM
I just looked again. Recommended is 45-65 ft pounds. One could probably skip the math and hit that window! On a side note thank you for your example. I've heard of that before but always forget to look it up and save it.

Dave Hoback
08-30-2020, 08:23 AM
Yes, skip the math. Actually, using a Crow’s foot on a torque wrench it is easy to get an exacting torque. Simply turn the Crow’s foot 90 degrees to the Right Angle position. Doing this eliminates any mechanical advantage extra length would have.

Robinhood
08-30-2020, 11:14 AM
Yes, skip the math. Actually, using a Crow’s foot on a torque wrench it is easy to get an exacting torque. Simply turn the Crow’s foot 90 degrees to the Right Angle position. Doing this eliminates any mechanical advantage extra length would have.

I don't know if this is true but this is what I do. I go 90 ft/lbs. Very happy with the accuracy at that torque weight.

Benmuncie
09-01-2020, 11:50 AM
I don't know if this is true but this is what I do. I go 90 ft/lbs. Very happy with the accuracy at that torque weight.

Thanks everyone for all of your help on the barrel nut and the torque specs. I ordered the nut from PatriotValleyArms.

Benmuncie
09-26-2020, 10:41 AM
Update. The new barrel nut came in and now it’s installed. I love the design and can use a standard wrench on it. I got the stainless steel version, and it looks great next to the blued action and barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orezona
09-26-2020, 01:55 PM
Post up a picture sir. I'd like to see it.

PhilC
09-27-2020, 09:52 AM
Can see here - https://patriotvalleyarms.com/barrel-nut-for-savage-remage-barrels/

wbm
09-27-2020, 10:23 AM
Yes, skip the math.

For sure! Gotta remember. There are three kinds of people. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

Benmuncie
09-27-2020, 01:52 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200927/3a9fb80ddbbb65c62c8cefbe0913315b.jpg

Dave Hoback
09-27-2020, 03:01 PM
For sure! Gotta remember. There are three kinds of people. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

HAHAHAHA! :biggrin-new::heh:

OP... I must say, that Stainless nut on a Black-out rifle is quite...”noticeable”, if nothing else. But if you enjoy the style, Kudos my friend!

mnbogboy2
09-27-2020, 04:20 PM
HAHAHAHA! :biggrin-new::heh:

OP... I must say, that Stainless nut on a Black-out rifle is quite...”noticeable”, if nothing else. But if you enjoy the style, Kudos my friend!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
I've got stainless nuts on matte barrels, gloss nuts on stainless barrels, stainless trigger guards on matte actions, and once in a while a matching combination. Savage builds are not any more functional with color coordination. Actually the color is insignificant and personally the mismatch he shows looks good imho, I think I've got one in the safe like his right now. It was stainless on stainless in another caliber a few weeks ago...let me check...there is often too many swaps going on in 7 or 8 different actions to remember them all.

mnbogboy2
09-27-2020, 04:31 PM
Here's one...note the matte stainless guard too...��

Benmuncie
09-27-2020, 07:59 PM
You can tell from the color of our dining room chairs that we aren’t afraid of contrast. Ha! :-)