PDA

View Full Version : Smooth barrel nut...where are they?

Pages : 1 [2]

Orezona
08-26-2020, 06:24 PM
You've basically made my point when you said "if they're not replaced". New factory nuts are just as true as after market......if you seen how they are made,they can't be anything but square and true.
Once you tighten a nut up on a stamped distorted lug, it will take the same shape. The smooth barrel nuts are stronger, and bigger in diameter.

Who's aftermarket nuts have you compared to factory Savage nuts?

tobnpr
08-26-2020, 08:24 PM
You've basically made my point when you said "if they're not replaced". New factory nuts are just as true as after market......if you seen how they are made,they can't be anything but square and true.
Once you tighten a nut up on a stamped distorted lug, it will take the same shape. The smooth barrel nuts are stronger, and bigger in diameter.

OK, what is their manufacturing process?

Orezona
08-26-2020, 09:12 PM
OK, what is their manufacturing process?

https://youtu.be/mReFsWPA8NQ

Hah!

sharpshooter
08-27-2020, 02:27 PM
They are turned on a Swiss type multi axis CNC machining center. Material is loaded from one end and finished nuts come out the other.

Orezona
08-27-2020, 05:28 PM
They are turned on a Swiss type multi axis CNC machining center. Material is loaded from one end and finished nuts come out the other.

Who's aftermarket nuts have you compared to factory Savage nuts?

tobnpr
08-27-2020, 07:49 PM

Fair 'nuff.
Indicators don't lie...
Just ordered a couple of OEM nuts from Brownell's. I'll dial in my mandrel, screw on the nuts, indicate the faces and report back...

Newtosavage
08-28-2020, 03:38 PM
My nut (ha ha), is still on the factory barrel. i grabbed the nut with a pipe wrench and the barrel came out of the receiver. i agree, no way a factory smooth nut is coming off with a smooth nut wrench. I think I did see a fancy expensive smooth nut wrench once. But if memory serves, it cost about more than the pipe wrench in my tool box and a good trued nut and lug from NSS.

I've actually removed a number of factory smooth nuts with a smooth nut wrench, using the brass shim. Once I believed what you said - that it just wasn't possible. I used a pipe wrench to remove the first few. Then one day I realized my mistake. I was tightening the bolt on the nut wrench too much, and compressing the nut against the threads of the barrel. And that's why it wouldn't come loose. On the next few, I managed to find the correct amount of torque, and viola! The smooth nuts came off the factory guns no problem. I've had decent luck reusing smooth nuts on several rifles. They shine up with the brass shim, but that is easily removed and they look good once you clean them up.

Now, all that said, I do prefer the traditional barrel nut for ease of use, but the smooth nuts don't make me cuss anymore.

Orezona
08-28-2020, 06:36 PM
Bump to SSS

Thank you in advance

Robinhood
08-28-2020, 08:15 PM
This hasn't been my experience even with the limited number of Savages that come into the shop.
I have (shop made) tooling to true the face of factory nuts when they're not replaced, and almost all require at least a couple thousandths to clean up. Whether that's enough to manifest at the target if it weren't done, might be arguable. But, just like facing a receiver- it's SOP for me; takes but a few minutes to do it- and I don't have to worry about whether it is, or isn't...

I am not a gunsmith but do work on my own stuff. This is the right attitude.

Orezona
08-28-2020, 09:05 PM
I am not a gunsmith but do work on my own stuff. This is the right attitude.

Exactly. True it up for your customer, just because.