PDA

View Full Version : Boyd's now offers pillar bedding?

beefsupreme
08-23-2020, 01:34 PM
Hello, I have a Savage Axis II HB in .223 that I've enjoyed learning to shoot at 100 yards. As you know, the stock is as flimsy as can be and I have been looking at the Boyd's pro varmint stock as a replacement. I've glass bedded a rifle before with success (I was shocked it worked tbh). But, I just saw that Boyd's will pillar bed "the rear only" and charges $55 for the service. Is this worth having them do and/or has anyone had them do this? Also, is "rear only" mean only the rear action screw? And, if so, why? Thanks in advance!

drewskez
08-23-2020, 01:36 PM
Go to the hardware store and get some steel bushings cut them to size rough up the surface and epoxy them in place with some Devon 10110

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

beefsupreme
08-23-2020, 03:24 PM
Go to the hardware store and get some steel bushings cut them to size rough up the surface and epoxy them in place with some Devon 10110

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Had that thought as well. I just have circumstances that prevent me from putting lots of work into my rifle as I would like. Just curious if anyone has experience with this.

charlie b
08-23-2020, 05:28 PM
I also have an Axis with a .223 heavy barrel. I also put it in a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. Shot over 1000rounds through it and then decided to bed it with pillars. Didn't make any difference to the accuracy of the rifle. A bit better than 1/2 MOA before, a bit better than 1/2MOA after.

From looking at the stock and receiver, the important part is to bed the forward screw. I would also get the steel trigger guard so the rear screw can be torqued down on something not as flexible as the plastic trigger guard.

beefsupreme
08-23-2020, 05:38 PM
I also have an Axis with a .223 heavy barrel. I also put it in a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. Shot over 1000rounds through it and then decided to bed it with pillars. Didn't make any difference to the accuracy of the rifle. A bit better than 1/2 MOA before, a bit better than 1/2MOA after.

From looking at the stock and receiver, the important part is to bed the forward screw. I would also get the steel trigger guard so the rear screw can be torqued down on something not as flexible as the plastic trigger guard.

Thank you! Do you mean to pillar bed the forward screw? Thanks again!

What distance are you shooting it out to? I bought it specifically because the range closes to me maxes out to 100 yards and goes to 200 yards supposedly once a month but I've never seen that open. Thank you again!

charlie b
08-23-2020, 08:02 PM
I have shot mine out to 1000yd (18" group), but, 600yd is more realistic. At 600yd I can get MOA groups and sometimes better if I am doing well that day, mainly wind reading.

At 100 I get less than .5" groups on a regular basis. 200yd 1" groups are also common.

Keep in mind that I have almost 3000 rounds on this barrel so it is quite a bit 'smoother' now. When new an MOA group was common. Took a few hundred rounds to 'settle down'. I'd do a good break in if I had a new one. Savage has one they recommend in their website FAQ.

Yes, the forward screw. But, if you are going to do one then it isn't a problem to do both. The rear one won't do much good unless you go to a steel trigger guard.

PS the long range loads that I shoot are 77gn Sierra Match Kings at 2800fps (23.5gn Varget).

beefsupreme
08-23-2020, 09:30 PM
I have shot mine out to 1000yd (18" group), but, 600yd is more realistic. At 600yd I can get MOA groups and sometimes better if I am doing well that day, mainly wind reading.

At 100 I get less than .5" groups on a regular basis. 200yd 1" groups are also common.

Keep in mind that I have almost 3000 rounds on this barrel so it is quite a bit 'smoother' now. When new an MOA group was common. Took a few hundred rounds to 'settle down'. I'd do a good break in if I had a new one. Savage has one they recommend in their website FAQ.

Yes, the forward screw. But, if you are going to do one then it isn't a problem to do both. The rear one won't do much good unless you go to a steel trigger guard.

PS the long range loads that I shoot are 77gn Sierra Match Kings at 2800fps (23.5gn Varget).

Thanks for the information!

I'm planning on getting the steel trigger guard for a few bucks more.

And thanks on the ammo recommendation! I'm home not very often and just don't have the time I used to have to tinker and work on my rifles. This seems like a doable option for me and won't take long. I had worked through 5 or 6 types of ammo and had my best groups at 100 yards new out of the box with Hornady American Gunner .223 - it's been several years since I've been home and had the opportunity to shoot it. But, will definitely grab some.

Thanks again!

charlie b
08-23-2020, 09:55 PM
If you want the best groups then try to find Federal Gold Medal Match or Black Hills match ammo. Not cheap, but, accurate.

mnbogboy2
08-28-2020, 01:31 AM
Hello, I have a Savage Axis II HB in .223 that I've enjoyed learning to shoot at 100 yards. As you know, the stock is as flimsy as can be and I have been looking at the Boyd's pro varmint stock as a replacement. I've glass bedded a rifle before with success (I was shocked it worked tbh). But, I just saw that Boyd's will pillar bed "the rear only" and charges $55 for the service. Is this worth having them do and/or has anyone had them do this? Also, is "rear only" mean only the rear action screw? And, if so, why? Thanks in advance!

The rear action screw area has been a common point of breaks/cracks between lamination in the Boyd's savage stocks. The pillar at that point prevents that that susceptible area from damage when action screws are torqued.
My guess they have had many warrantee claims concerning the rear action screw area. Too bad they charge as much as they do but we'll worth it especially for the guys that drop their action in and go shooting!
Personally I pillar and bed all my stocks, two of them were used Boyd's and one was cracked there. The pillar installation was done when the repair was made and has held for 1000s of rounds.