PDA

View Full Version : Axis 30-06 Issue! Spent cartridges sticking in chamber

elmerfuddrucker
08-23-2020, 12:35 PM
Recently purchased the Savage Axis in 30-06. So far it's accurate and packs a good punch! I've only put about 30 rounds through it so far, and am experiencing cartridges sticking in the chamber. I'll pull back on the bolt as hard as I can, to no avail. I did come up with a solution that works--but obviously it is temporary--I can fit a flathead screwdriver between the end of the bolt and the rear of the receiver, rotate the screwdriver to pull the bolt and cartridge back out of the chamber. As soon as it's unstuck, everything else operates normally. At the range yesterday I was able to fire a few successful shots without using my SCREWDRIVER but the issue persists.

At first, I thought the problem was that someone incorrectly installed a UTG rail with a long screw in the front set of holes, causing one of the screws to protrude into the receiver and interfere with the bolt--which they did, and I fixed. But the problem still persists. Could there be some threadlock in there from the gun shop messing around with it, or is this a problem more common than I'm aware of?

A little context: the factory mounted rail was secured very tightly with loctite, so I took it to the shop I bought the rifle from, as they are also gunsmiths doing full firearm builds in house. They dropped in a solution to dissolve the loctite but they still had a hell of a time with it, had to keep it overnight plus ended up putting one of the long screws in the wrong hole--so that was frustrating...

Any thoughts?

sharpshooter
08-23-2020, 04:06 PM
You are lacking primary extraction. It is caused by either the bolt body is too long, or out of phase, or the bolt handle is out of spec.

elmerfuddrucker
08-23-2020, 06:25 PM
Thanks for weighing in Sharpshooter; the bolt does extract rounds. I have shot a few different types of ammo starting with Federal powershock (brass) as well as some cheaper Wolf steel case. I thought maybe I'd be fine shooting steel with a bolt-action; but this is the round that starting malfunctioning. I just gave the rifle a good cleaning and will shoot some more brass through it to see if it happens again. The bullet on the Wolf round is a bit longer, but the casing is the same length as my Federal ammunition.

Do you think it's definitely the bolt still? Or could it be the ammo? I don't have a ton of faith in the shop that I bought it from; is this something I might need to send back to Savage if the issue persists?

sharpshooter
08-23-2020, 08:36 PM
Perhaps you're not familiar with the term "primary extraction". Primary extraction is a mechanical feature that retracts the bolt a short distance when the bolt is rotated to the end of it's radial travel. This is accomplished with a cam that is cut on the bolt handle and a mating surface inside the receiver. When the cams meet, it causes the bolt to move rearward about .050", popping the case loose from the chamber, with mechanical advantage.
If there excessive clearance between the cams, they will not engage each other.

Robinhood
08-23-2020, 11:02 PM
Supplemental to Sharpshooters post, many people who shoot steel cased ammo have trouble extracting. Usually requires cleaning or polishing the chamber to fix. It seems as if the lacquer sticks to the chamber and then everything sticks to it.

prdatr
08-24-2020, 10:14 AM
If it's only the steel cases does it look like the cases have lacquer on them? The chamber might be on the minimum of SAAMI spec and you may need to send it back to Savage. If it only happens with the steel case then you can just only shoot brass. Honestly I don't know anyone who shoots steel cases in a bolt action rifle.
Does the manual have a warning about using steel case ammo?

neilis
08-25-2020, 11:23 PM
Never shot steel cased ammo out of an Axis but I have out the very similar 110 and I had issues with steel cases sticking too. Never had an issue with brass.

I'd just avoid steel cased honestly. Steel case ammo is for volume blasting which typically doesn't match up with with bolt action shooting style :).

rerun5
10-23-2020, 09:07 PM
I concur, I think it's probably the steel cases. I only shoot steel cased ammo out of my Mosin Nagants, and all of these cases are lacquered. I have an Axis in 30-06 and have not had this problem, but I only shoot brass cases in it. I would try using a bit of paint thinner or mineral spirits to clean the chamber good. Then clean with a good bore solvent, run a patch through and shoot some brass cases in it.
I read a post on another forum about a Mosin Nagant that got pretty hot and cases started sticking, the OP was advised to try this and it worked. It's worth a shot, no pun intended.

straightShot
11-16-2020, 10:20 PM
I concur, I think it's probably the steel cases. I only shoot steel cased ammo out of my Mosin Nagants, and all of these cases are lacquered. I have an Axis in 30-06 and have not had this problem, but I only shoot brass cases in it. I would try using a bit of paint thinner or mineral spirits to clean the chamber good. Then clean with a good bore solvent, run a patch through and shoot some brass cases in it.
I read a post on another forum about a Mosin Nagant that got pretty hot and cases started sticking, the OP was advised to try this and it worked. It's worth a shot, no pun intended.

I had steel cases sticking in my Mosin Nagant M91/30s. After firing a few rounds and getting warm, they would stick in each. I believe that it was some sort of laquer on the cases that caused the sticking. In my Mosin Nagant M38 and M44 carbines, they never stuck. I agree that avoiding the steel cases would be a good thing.

Winston Smith
12-17-2021, 02:36 PM
Perhaps you're not familiar with the term "primary extraction". Primary extraction is a mechanical feature that retracts the bolt a short distance when the bolt is rotated to the end of it's radial travel. This is accomplished with a cam that is cut on the bolt handle and a mating surface inside the receiver. When the cams meet, it causes the bolt to move rearward about .050", popping the case loose from the chamber, with mechanical advantage.
If there excessive clearance between the cams, they will not engage each other.

This is a brilliant explanation for a problem a lot of people are having.
This honestly sounds like a true root cause that explains a good bit.

rerun5
12-19-2021, 10:32 PM
I shoot steel cased ammo in both my Mosin Nagants, I haven't experienced this problem but read posts of others who have, on a different site. The suggestion that was given them, and worked to fix the problem, was to very lightly oil the steel cases before loading. I' have no experience in this but just wanted to drop this tip that I am aware of and that it was successful.