PDA

View Full Version : Rebarrel a Howa?

mattri
08-21-2020, 05:38 PM
Anyone here ever rebarrel a Howa? Seems they have prefits using a nut like the Savage/Remage now.

celltech
08-21-2020, 06:58 PM
Some people complain that the factory barrel was put on there by an 800 lb gorilla....but once you get it off its a piece of cake to install the new one.

Robinhood
08-22-2020, 05:23 PM
Some people complain that the factory barrel was put on there by an 800 lb gorilla....but once you get it off its a piece of cake to install the new one.

This is true. Don't tweak the action. Relieve the barrel tenon face with a grooving or part off tool was the tip I received and it worked.

yobuck
08-23-2020, 11:10 AM
This is true. Don't tweak the action. Relieve the barrel tenon face with a grooving or part off tool was the tip I received and it worked.
Which means? lol

Robinhood
08-23-2020, 11:31 AM
Which means? lol

The barrels are so tight if your fixturing is not sufficient enough to hold the action and barrel correctly, you could twist/distort the action. A workaround is to cut a groove in the barrel just behind the action barrel junction. This will allow the mating face of the barrel to flex relieving the tension making the force required to break loose the barrel/action junction much lower.

sharpshooter
08-23-2020, 12:22 PM
Howa's have a metric thread pitch also, 1.5mm.

yobuck
08-23-2020, 03:02 PM
The barrels are so tight if your fixturing is not sufficient enough to hold the action and barrel correctly, you could twist/distort the action. A workaround is to cut a groove in the barrel just behind the action barrel junction. This will allow the mating face of the barrel to flex relieving the tension making the force required to break loose the barrel/action junction much lower.
Not exactly the answer i thought id get.
Im just assuming that method might require some machinery, and of coarse the knowledge required to use it.

Robinhood
08-23-2020, 05:59 PM
Not exactly the answer i thought id get.
Im just assuming that method might require some machinery, and of coarse the knowledge required to use it.

A lathe, indicator and a grooving tool.

celltech
08-23-2020, 06:14 PM
A lathe, indicator and a grooving tool.

Or in my garage it's a hacksaw, dremel, and a lot of sweat.