PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis in . . . .458 Win Mag?

neilis
08-21-2020, 02:15 PM
Ok, so I scored several of the on-sale Axis rifles at the latest Wal-mart sale and am looking for projects :). I noticed that EABCO has a Savage barrel available in .458 Winchester Magnum. I figure I can get a 110 Magnum bolt head and reduce the length of the shaft to fit the Axis bolt body. I'm not really concerned about the strength of the actual action (.458 Win mag produces the same pressure as 6.5 Creedmoor).

My only question would be would the recoil lug setup of the Axis strong enough to handle keeping the action properly in the stock in that heavy recoiling of a caliber? I'd be getting a Boyds laminate stock to replace the polymer stock, and adding the pillars around the screws for extra strength - just wanted to get a general consensus of if the "reverse" recoil lug, the pillars, and maybe some light bedding is sufficient to keep the action anchored in the stock.

And no I have no legitimate purpose for such a rifle aside from "sounds like it would be cool to try" :).

prdatr
08-21-2020, 02:27 PM
The recoil lug would be my first concern also especially since the 458 probably has 4 to 5 times the recoil of a 6.5

GaCop
08-22-2020, 06:25 AM
I built my 450 Bushmaster on an Axis action and have put some pretty hefty 400 grain jacketed loads thru the rifle since the build and it's holding up just fine in the factory stock recoil lug setup. As light as the Axis is, I don't think I'd want to try any 500 grain magnum loads but 500 grain cast should be doable.

Fuj'
08-22-2020, 07:55 AM
I built my 450 Bushmaster on an Axis action and have put some pretty hefty 400 grain jacketed loads thru the rifle since the build and it's holding up just fine in the factory stock recoil lug setup. As light as the Axis is, I don't think I'd want to try any 500 grain magnum loads but 500 grain cast should be doable.

Kind of like comparing watermelons to grapes. Meaning no disrespect but
the 450 Bushmaster is just an over grown pistol cartridge with low velocities.
The .458 Winchester Is designed For the likes of African dangerous big game.
Down range energy is huge. The lug, as mentioned would need re-thought,
and what the lug will be pounding into.....I would pass on this project personally.

sharpshooter
08-22-2020, 11:20 AM
The action will take it, but the factory lug and stock won't.

charlie b
08-22-2020, 11:54 AM
I would agree. I had thought about such a conversion, but, it was not for smokeless. I thought of it like a bolt action .45-90. Then the .450 Marlin came out. It is designed as a .45-70 for bolt rifles. That one makes more sense to me.

For a bolt head I think PTG makes a magnum face bolt head that does not require rework. But, that may just be wishful thinking.

And, you still have the recoil lug issue. And the stock. Might be better off machining the face and fitting a 110 style lug, but, you still have the stock to work on. Get a chassis maybe? Or build a rail into a stock.

Would certainly be a project, but given the inexpensive prices paid for these, might be worth working on.

neilis
08-22-2020, 12:47 PM
Might be better off machining the face and fitting a 110 style lug, but, you still have the stock to work on.

Yeah that was my next thought. Doesn't look like it would be too difficult to take off the "lip" on the front of the action and use a 110 lug. I've got a small lathe that should be up to the task. Probably more work than it's worth but I love to tinker with stuff :).

wbm
08-22-2020, 01:33 PM
The lug, as mentioned would need re-thought, and what the lug will be pounding into.....I would pass on this project personally.

The action will take it, but the factory lug and stock won't.

For sure!

Robinhood
08-22-2020, 06:21 PM
Cut the face of the action until it is flat. Install a heavy standard recoil lug. Get a wood axis stock, open up the lug area then pillar and bed it. Is this where we ended up?

neilis
08-22-2020, 09:10 PM
Cut the face of the action until it is flat. Install a heavy standard recoil lug. Get a wood axis stock, open up the lug area then pillar and bed it. Is this where we ended up?

Yeah I think so. I've got access to a lathe and a mill so adapting the action to take a standard recoil lug shouldn't be that hard. As soon as my discretionary spending allows me to grab the parts I think I'll give it a shot.

kingdombuilder
08-27-2020, 08:23 PM
I have a 7 mm rem mag axis . The stock flexes way too much. I am ordering a Boyd's . The Magnum bolt head does not need to be filed down if you order a ptg short action Magnum bolt head. (made originally for wsm ). It fits exactly perfect firing pin protrusion ejection ect . I know others have used 300 win mag from the axis action. With that much recoil the action will need to be bedded well.

nksmfamjp
09-08-2020, 10:22 AM
@Sharpshooter....if you were building a 458 WM, would you attach a lug in the barrel channel and then bed both the action and the forward lug, or something else? Would you add cross bolts?

sharpshooter
09-09-2020, 12:19 AM
On an Axis, I always cut the receiver face and add a full lug. I bed from the back of the lug to the rear pillar....on a wood stock.

yobuck
09-11-2020, 08:58 AM
Yeah that was my next thought. Doesn't look like it would be too difficult to take off the "lip" on the front of the action and use a 110 lug. I've got a small lathe that should be up to the task. Probably more work than it's worth but I love to tinker with stuff :).
Ever consider fixing up an old boat? lol

neilis
09-11-2020, 01:08 PM
Ever consider fixing up an old boat? lol

I actually do have a project boat :).