PDA

View Full Version : new build, 5 R rifling ??

Shooter0302
08-20-2020, 10:23 AM
Stuck at home,mainly with weather,so lots of time to ponder a new build project. One point is the rifling, 3 R, 5 R, or some "conventional" rifling, I would like to hear from those that have Savage bbl's with the 5 R rifling, as well as others with either.
Main point is accucary , second is ease of cleaning, this would be a 6 MM build, and I plan to use HbN coated bullets to help with Bbl. life.

Thank you

Ted_Feasel
08-20-2020, 11:45 AM
Stuck at home,mainly with weather,so lots of time to ponder a new build project. One point is the rifling, 3 R, 5 R, or some "conventional" rifling, I would like to hear from those that have Savage bbl's with the 5 R rifling, as well as others with either.
Main point is accucary , second is ease of cleaning, this would be a 6 MM build, and I plan to use HbN coated bullets to help with Bbl. life.

Thank youI have a TC and savage with shilen barrel,.tc is factory barrel both 5r both extremely accurate, the shilen is laser should be expected, both clean easily, shilen is almost too easy. Recently built a creedmoor with shilen 4 ratchet rifiling, could not believe ease of cleaning but as general rule 5r should be easier but (im a savage whore, i love them) easy cleaning will probably not happen on a savage barrel until all the machine and tool marks have been shot out or lapped

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JeepsAndGuns
08-20-2020, 12:27 PM
The ones I have are not really even, so it is probably apples to oranges, but it is all I have to compare with.
I have a 20 inch AR15 with a med heavy (.850 muzzle dia) 5R barrel, and a savage with a 24 inch 1 in dia traditional 6 groove rifling barrel. Both are 223, have 1-7 twist, 223 wylde chambers, and are both made by x-caliber.
The savage is more accurate, but I think it is because of it being a bolt action, and having a slightly longer and heavier barrel. As far as cleaning, I can really tell no major difference. I broke them both in the same way and they both are easy to clean.
Sorry I could not be of any better help.

tobnpr
08-20-2020, 07:18 PM
Quality of the barrel is "generally" relative to cost, if maximizing accuracy is your priority.
Out of 150 PRS/NRL shooters, Bartlein is used more than 2:1 over the next- which is Proof, followed by Hawk Hill. Those two together account for the 2nd third...

So, cut rifled barrels speak for themselves here. Now, whether one can shoot the difference is another story. Proof does make Savage prefits, so if it's accuracy at any cost...

celltech
08-20-2020, 07:49 PM
I have 3R, 5R, and conventional rifling barrels. I don't think any one of them are more accurate than the other...they all shoot well. The odd number ratchet rifling types are thought to be less stressful on the bullet jacket and easier to clean. All my aftermarket barrels are lapped and clean easier just because of that. I am trying out 3R barrels on a .22-250 and .243 that I load pretty hot to see it the larger lands help will barrel life. Time will tell, but they are good shooters.

Frank Green from Bartein Barrels posts here and on Sniper's Hide quite a bit. I think he has stated the R type rifling is generally a good thing, but all types in his experience can shoot well if the barrel is made properly. I like the concept of ratchet rifling and will continue to buy them.