PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis Replacement Recoil Pad for Wood Stock

tb80
08-18-2020, 09:40 AM
I have tried searching for this and cannot find any answers. I bought the Savage Axis model with the wood stock. I want to buy a replacement recoil pad but have not been able to figure out which recoil pad will fit on the axis wood stock. I would prefer a limbsaver and/or pachmyr (sp?) decelerator. I do not want a grind to fit model. Would prefer one that screws on but would be open to a slip on. Any suggestions?

jpdown
08-18-2020, 01:37 PM
My experience is you won’t find one made to cleanly fit a Savage wood stock. A small Pachmyar Decllerator GTF is the easiest to work with that I have found. Tape the stock wood and use a Dremel tool with sanding wheel to carefully shape and remove the excess pad. Then use coarse followed by finer sand paper wrapped around a small school eraser to fit the last 1/8” flush to the taped stock. A lot more satisfying appearance when done.

bonegunner
08-18-2020, 07:34 PM
That's nice work on the buttpad jpdowns.

jpdown
08-18-2020, 09:44 PM
Thanks. I’ve beautified a number of Savage walnut and laminated stocks over the past 15 years. I’ve worked with Limbsaver, Kick-Eez and Pachmyar Decelerator recoil pads. The PD recoil pads looked the best when finished.

Steeltrap
08-19-2020, 07:36 AM
If you go to the Limbsaver web site https://limbsaver.com/pages/recoil-pads-showcase and click the top right Icon "Recoil Pad Templets" you can print out a zillion templets to see which one will fit your rifle. And they also have a "grind to fit" that you can get your rifle butt to match right up.

FWIW

neilis
08-21-2020, 11:20 AM
You're unlikely to find one that matches up well unless you get a grind to fit. Also the wood stock models only come with a 1/2" pad and for optimal recoil absorption a 1" pad is much better. If you went with a 1" pad unless you're ok with a changed length of pull some length would need to be taken off the stock.

Personally I'm always a little leery of shortening the stock (it can be hard to keep the cut perfectly square), but grinding a pad is relatively easy if you've got a belt sander. First one I did I got a handheld sander for $20 from a pawn shop and just clamped it upside down in my bench vise, though I've since bought a stationary sander.