PDA

View Full Version : To bed or not bed, that is the question.

AbitNutz
08-16-2020, 09:13 PM
I have a H-S Precision stock on my Savage Target 3-screw single shot action. Currently I just have it screwed in to the raw aluminum bedding block. I have run into differing opinions on whether I should have epoxy bedded it or not. Some say I should absolutely bed the whole thing in epoxy, others tell me that's why the aluminum bedding block is there so you don't have to epoxy bed it. The ratio of do bed it to don't bed it is running about 3 to 1...

Robinhood
08-16-2020, 09:57 PM
I don't personally but have seen many that did. The target actions not so much.

If you have played with the torque and are still not getting the groups you want....why not?

celltech
08-16-2020, 10:25 PM
I might just bed the recoil lug to make sure the action does not try to slide around, but not the whole thing. Bedding is a PITA and the block is supposed to eliminate the need for it...

AbitNutz
08-17-2020, 04:34 AM
I don't personally but have seen many that did. The target actions not so much.

If you have played with the torque and are still not getting the groups you want....why not?

No, it drives tacks. But I've been criticized for not bedding it in epoxy and told it will shoot loose. This is my first build so I'm second guessing and I usure of everything I've done.

JW
08-17-2020, 06:30 AM
The three HS Precision stocks I have are not bedded and do fine. I am not much on bedding an aluminum block.
All my laminate stocks are bedded and do fine.
My shooting buddy does not have any bedded stocks and his do fine. ( several target actions).
If your rifle drives tacks and you happy, leave it as is.
Jack

CFJunkie
08-17-2020, 07:38 AM
I too have HS Precision stocks and have not bedded them.
The Savages in them are as accurate as I can shoot, so I don't see the need to bed them.

If you aren't averaging under 0.4 inches or better consistently for 5 round groups - I mean for an average of 200 groups or more - you probably won't ever notice the difference anyway.

Fuj'
08-17-2020, 09:03 AM
I do not bed aluminum v-blocks, however because I have the means,
I set up the stock in a mill and run a dial indicator across the mating
surfaces. If need be, I will take a skim cut. I have never needed to touch
up an MDT stock. The Choate I picked up for test purposes was a different
story. The only HS stock I'm aware of that was dialed, was perfect.....On
any v-block, at least run a fine stone across the surfaces, looking for any
nicks and burrs.

Nor Cal Mikie
08-17-2020, 09:12 AM
(No, it drives tacks) Nuf said. The action sets on an aluminum block and is and is secured "metal to metal". That's all you need.
All of my rigs are mounted on Whidden V Blocks and no bedding is added. That's the reason for using V Blocks.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke.:cool:

NicfromAlabama
08-17-2020, 10:18 PM
I have done nothing to bed my HS Precision stocks. I screw them in a 60 inch/lbs. I think they recommend 65 inch/lbs, but 60 seems plenty dang tight to me. The rifles shoot great. I had thought about skim coating, as I read so many people saying it is a must. I just don't see the point from my results. One thing you need to do is to make sure the tang is floated and not resting on the stock. The 2 stocks I bought new were fine. Interestingly, 2 stocks that were take-offs from factory Savage rifles were not.

blvedere
09-04-2020, 11:26 PM
If you have torqued the action screws, just check the torque occasionally. I have a couple with Widden blocks,not bedded, and they shoot sub half MOA.