PDA

View Full Version : 4.75 inches high @ 100 yards

Pages : [1] 2

reloader
08-09-2020, 05:16 PM
I have a savage 10 fp hs precision stock 20 moa 1 piece base burris extreme 30mm rings along with a bushnell 4200 elite scope adjustments as low as they would go but im still 4 3/4inches high at 100 yards, im out of adjustments to go lower. Would a zero moa base allow me to achive point of aim at 100?

celltech
08-09-2020, 06:05 PM
You need 4.75 more MOA so taking out 20 should get you there as the scope has 50 MOA of total adjustment. But odd you can't get there now.

reloader
08-09-2020, 06:16 PM
Thanks so a zero moa base would work? Or sshould I look at the burris z rings with the poly inserts?

celltech
08-09-2020, 06:52 PM
Either would get you enough adjustment. Or you could just go to one piece mounts like Talley or DNZ.

reloader
08-09-2020, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and responses.

Robinhood
08-09-2020, 10:50 PM
Is your mount on backwards?

reloader
08-10-2020, 10:13 AM
Unfortunately not, looking at a EGW zero moa base if it will get me there

Robinhood
08-10-2020, 05:21 PM
Ha, Backwards would put you low anyway. There is a problem and in my opinion the problem needs to be addressed. The offset ring inserts can be used to fix minor alignment issues but your issue is not minor.

Has the barrel ever been replaced? Is there something obstructing the front ring from seating all of the way down flush with the rail?

reloader
08-10-2020, 08:56 PM
I spoke with Al from EGW this morning and he informed me that a 20moa base is roughly 20 inches at 100 yards so a 0 moa base should get me there.I placed the order and yes the barrel nut was loosened to unscrew the barrel a very little so I could get the proper headspace. The rings are on correctly as well as the base, not sure what could of happened by loosening the barrel, just a learning experience I suppose.exp

reloader
08-10-2020, 08:59 PM
And yes im trying to go lower I was 4 3/4" high at 100 yards and my scope had no more adjustment to get it lower.

celltech
08-10-2020, 09:45 PM
Did you adjust the headspace on a factory gun or put on a new barrel?

Robinhood
08-10-2020, 10:16 PM
not sure what could of happened by loosening the barrel, just a learning experience I suppose.exp

A lot of damage can be done if it wasn't done right.

Stumpkiller
08-10-2020, 11:53 PM
Not to be too much of a smart ass - but 20 MOA bases are for folks who shoot at 600 yards and beyond. Try moving back an additional 500 yards and see how that works. ;-)

Personally, I try to sneak up with 200 or 250 yards. Sometimes 15 yards.

reloader
08-11-2020, 06:16 AM
Cell tech it is a factory gun and the original barrel from the factory. I had to replace the factory bolt face, because a loose primer pocket splattered the fface of the original boltface. I ordered a factory bolt head from Gun Shack it was a little longer and it would not close on a go and nogo gauge.

yobuck
08-11-2020, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=Stumpkiller;477421

Personally, I try to sneak up with 200 or 250 yards. Sometimes 15 yards.[/QUOTE]
That actually works, but only works well for very few people.
And in order for it to work at all, both the type of terrain and conditions especially from wind must be right.
Otherwise it becomes nothing more than a one man deer drive.
Over the roughly fifty years weve been glassing the steep sidehills, weve watched lots of one man deer drives. lol

celltech
08-11-2020, 08:38 AM
Those barrel threads usually have a ton of sandblasting media and junk in them from the factory. If you only cracked it a little bit you might have smashed some crud into the works. I would completely disassemble everything and clean off all the crap from the barrel, nut, and receiver threads.

Robinhood
08-11-2020, 06:26 PM
Those barrel threads usually have a ton of sandblasting media and junk in them from the factory. If you only cracked it a little bit you might have smashed some crud into the works. I would completely disassemble everything and clean off all the crap from the barrel, nut, and receiver threads.

Reloader, Something isn't right. Could you post the method of loosening the nut and re tightening after you headspaced.

Robinhood
08-11-2020, 06:28 PM
And in order for it to work at all, both the type of terrain and conditions especially from wind must be right.
Over the roughly fifty years weve been glassing the steep sidehills, weve watched lots of one man deer drives. lol

With the glass you are using that is an invasion of privacy.

Stumpkiller
08-11-2020, 09:51 PM

Can't argue. I start my season with recurve bows made in the 1960's and wood arrows . . . so by the time firearm season comes along if I have freezer space it is like cheating. But I live in the middle of the woods and have little open terrain. I had to make my 100 yard range with a chainsaw and 5' mower deck. Local whitetails avoid fields and open spaces in daylight, anyway.

Still doesn't solve his 4.75" high at 100 yards with a 20 MOA base. Is there a 15 MOA base available? Or, like I recommended, back up.

reloader
08-15-2020, 06:13 PM
the 0 moa base got me within the scope adjustment range