PDA

View Full Version : Boyds barrel dimension oddity.

Pages : [1] 2

BBQ365
08-02-2020, 06:27 PM
Like many, I have a 12FV. And, like many, I'm thinking of swapping the factory stock for a Boyds. I've noticed the dimension listed for the model 12 is smaller than for the model 10 or 11. Even the Axis is listed as having a bigger barrel channel.

This is what comes up when I compare the Pro Varmint ( I'd actually prefer the Heritage, but just using the Pro Varmint to keep it the same ).

12 top bolt release, blind mag, center feed, bull barrel:
Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 5/16" and Point B = 3/4"

10 top bolt release, blind mag, center feed, bull barrel:
Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 5/16" and Point B = 1 1/16"

11 top bolt release, blind mag, center feed, bull barrel:
Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 5/16" and Point B = 1 1/16"

Axis, detachable mag, bull barrel:
Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 1/3" and Point B = 59/64"

Am I missing something? What is everyone getting for their 12FV's?

Txhillbilly
08-02-2020, 08:51 PM
Buy whatever stock you like,if the barrel channel needs to be opened up for your barrel it only takes a few minutes with a piece of pvc pipe and sandpaper wrapped around it to open the barrel channel up.
I've had to do it on every Boyds stock I've ever bought because they never offer a LH stock with a Varmint barrel inlet.

Robinhood
08-02-2020, 11:38 PM
What is the dimension of your barrel at point B?

SageRat Shooter
08-03-2020, 03:18 PM
I bot the Prairie hunter for one of my rifles. -- The forend doesn't have enough extra "meat" around it to be able to open it up far enough for a bull or Heavy Varmint barrel without losing the flats. It will accommodate up to a Heavy Sporter but that's about it. Heritage would be similar.

The Pro Varmint-- Has way more available meat around the forend. Bull barrel is no problem for that stock.

audix99
08-03-2020, 04:02 PM
I too am planning on getting a new stock for a Savage 12FV and considering Boyds as one of the options.

But for 12FV, isn't it better to just get the stock for 10 Short Action, blind mag, center feed & bull-barrel rather than getting the stock for a 12 with narrower barrel channel?

I thought Boyds stocks for 10 and 12FV are pretty much identical except the barrel channel?
Can someone with experience/knowledge please confirm this?

rmeyerwy
08-03-2020, 05:52 PM
Dang, I cant find it, but I bought a 12FV 223 and put a boyds AT One and it was pretty much a dropin. I had to trim a bit around the trigger guard but other than that I dont remember doing in any other until
I went ahead and glass bedded it. But, I did not have to do anything for the barrel channel I do know that.

I just went in on boyds and selected the AT one, 12 Top bolt release, short action, center feed blind mag and bull barrel.. I believe this is the one I purchased,
and i have a bit of room around the barrel on the sides.

BTW, I love the stock and the gun

BBQ365
08-03-2020, 07:48 PM
I too am planning on getting a new stock for a Savage 12FV and considering Boyds as one of the options.

But for 12FV, isn't it better to just get the stock for 10 Short Action, blind mag, center feed & bull-barrel rather than getting the stock for a 12 with narrower barrel channel?

I thought Boyds stocks for 10 and 12FV are pretty much identical except the barrel channel?
Can someone with experience/knowledge please confirm this?

This is the question I'm also trying to get answered, but so far everyone is commenting on other things.

BBQ365
08-03-2020, 07:51 PM
Dang, I cant find it, but I bought a 12FV 223 and put a boyds AT One and it was pretty much a dropin. I had to trim a bit around the trigger guard but other than that I dont remember doing in any other until
I went ahead and glass bedded it. But, I did not have to do anything for the barrel channel I do know that.

I just went in on boyds and selected the AT one, 12 Top bolt release, short action, center feed blind mag and bull barrel.. I believe this is the one I purchased,
and i have a bit of room around the barrel on the sides.

BTW, I love the stock and the gun

The At-One is listed as having a larger barrel channel the the rest for that selection. It's listed this way: Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 5/16" and Point B = 1 1/16"

audix99
08-03-2020, 08:19 PM
This is the question I'm also trying to get answered, but so far everyone is commenting on other things.
I emailed Boyds and got an answer.

My question:
"The barrel channel for 12 bull barrel listed is narrower than the one for 10, and I prefer wider channel.
Will it be okay to get a stock for 10 top release, blind mag, center feed, bull barrel for Cabelas exclusive 12FV or do I need to get one for 12?"

Answer from Boyds:
"You can get one for the 10 if you would like as they interchange."

Hope this helps.

Robinhood
08-03-2020, 10:10 PM

What I understood was you asked about barrel channel. I suggested you measure your barrel. If you don't have a pair of calipers or a way to measure the barrel, then the question you want answered is the diameter of the barrel at point B. Where is point B? It is at the end of the forearm. I dont have that rifle but it is really simple if you can measure your barrel.

BBQ365
08-04-2020, 11:10 PM
What I understood was you asked about barrel channel. I suggested you measure your barrel. If you don't have a pair of calipers or a way to measure the barrel, then the question you want answered is the diameter of the barrel at point B. Where is point B? It is at the end of the forearm. I dont have that rifle but it is really simple if you can measure your barrel.

No, I COMMENTED on the barrel channel. I ASKED a very simple question, "What is everyone getting for their 12FV's?" Why is this so hard?

rmeyerwy
08-05-2020, 04:56 PM
No, I COMMENTED on the barrel channel. I ASKED a very simple question, "What is everyone getting for their 12FV's?" Why is this so hard?

Geeze sorry. I told you, I got the AT one. I like it. If you dont thats fine but if you want peoples opinions and or answers you dont have to offend us.

I apologoze if I didnt anwser your question, but I thought i did.

Good luck in whatever..

BBQ365
08-05-2020, 06:53 PM
Geeze sorry. I told you, I got the AT one. I like it. If you dont thats fine but if you want peoples opinions and or answers you dont have to offend us.

I apologoze if I didnt anwser your question, but I thought i did.

Good luck in whatever..

Yes, you did tell me what you got. You and SageRat Shooter are the only ones that have. I did not comment one way or the other on your choice of stock, other than the AT-One is listed as having a larger barrel channel. I have not intended to offend anyone, but it does get frustrating to ask a simple question and not get simple answers. Instead, I've been told to measure my barrel or buy whatever I want and open up the barrel channel myself. I understand how to measure, and I have opened up multiple stocks, but neither of those things even remotely begins to answer the question.

I would simply like to know which Boyds action inlet was purchased, by people who actually have bought them, for a 12FV.

sharpshooter
08-05-2020, 07:03 PM
Why don't you call Boyds and get some real answers?

BBQ365
08-05-2020, 08:46 PM
Why don't you call Boyds and get some real answers?

So, you suggest I call Boyds, and ask what the people on this forum have purchased? Seriously?

Txhillbilly
08-05-2020, 11:12 PM

The problem is when someone like yourself won't do any research on your own as to what will fit your rifle. Then you ***** when guy's are trying to help you.

It's a Savage SA rifle,just about any stock that is for a centerfeed Savage SA rifle will work. You may need to swap out some things,but I can make one fit into any 10/12/14/or 16 model stock that is made with the correct safety style.

sharpshooter
08-05-2020, 11:49 PM
So, you suggest I call Boyds, and ask what the people on this forum have purchased? Seriously?

Are you somehow impaired? Do you think that Boyds knows less about their stocks than posters on this forum?

Orezona
08-06-2020, 01:06 AM
Are you somehow impaired?

I am most of the time and it gets worse with age.

rmeyerwy
08-06-2020, 09:25 AM
Ah..I see I didnt realize they had different dimensions for the same rifle in different stock styles. That is odd in my opinion, you would think a Savage bull barrel would be a Savage bull barrel and use the same stock dimensions no matter the stock style.

i dont know, I am happy with my Boyds stock, function, fit and I think they look cool.

Good luck and hope you get one ya like!

SageRat Shooter
08-06-2020, 09:59 AM
My brother put a Bobby Hart LRT on his 12FV, we had to make a few adjustments to the mag well and the trigger guard, but everything else seemed to work ok. He went with the Savage 10 option, Blind mag, and regular satin finish.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks-by-brand/stocky-s/laminated-woo/long-range-target-tactical-lrt-remington-700-bdl-savage-10-12-4-40-laminated-heavy-barrel-riflestocks-right-left-hand-models.html