PDA

View Full Version : Don't understand

Pages : [1] 2

Totosdad
07-29-2020, 03:53 PM
Last week went to the range, shooting 53 grain V Max in 223
21.4 grains of N133 had a .263 group and a .324 group.

Went yesterday, same load same projectile,
couldn't get a group under 2.5 inches.

not sure what it could be, need some HELP

edited is .324 NOT 3.24

SageRat Shooter
07-29-2020, 03:57 PM
What platform or make of rifle are you shooting? You said you had a .263 group and a 3.24 group... That's a pretty big spread. Are you using bags or bipod? Original stock or an aftermarket? What optics are you using?

Ted_Feasel
07-29-2020, 04:02 PM
Last week went to the range, shooting 53 grain V Max in 223
21.4 grains of N133 had a .263 group and a 3.24 group.

Went yesterday, same load same projectile,
couldn't get a group under 2.5 inches.

not sure what it could be, need some HELPLast time I had a odd experience like that I found me scope base had came loose.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Totosdad
07-29-2020, 04:11 PM
Typo .324

Totosdad
07-29-2020, 04:24 PM
What platform or make of rifle are you shooting? You said you had a .263 group and a 3.24 group... That's a pretty big spread. Are you using bags or bipod? Original stock or an aftermarket? What optics are you using?

Savage 110 Varmint, all original, Athlon 6-24 FFP BTR scope was a typo, should have been .324 NOT 3.24, using Caldwell The Rock with a rear bag

Totosdad
07-29-2020, 04:28 PM
Last time I had a odd experience like that I found me scope base had came loose.

Just checked the base to rail, and they were loose, thanks for that tip, will try again tomorrow

Totosdad
07-29-2020, 04:29 PM

should have been .324 typo, sorry

Ted_Feasel
07-29-2020, 04:29 PM
Just checked the base to rail, and they were loose, thanks for that tip, will try again tomorrowAwesome, bet that was it.. good luck and let us know[emoji854]

SageRat Shooter
07-29-2020, 04:59 PM
She should be shooting again after you tightened the scope bases... Glad that was a typo on the 3.24 group... Good luck to you.

Fotheringill
07-30-2020, 02:43 PM
Last time I had a odd experience like that I found me scope base had came loose.

That would have been my comment- something got a bit loose.

Ted_Feasel
07-30-2020, 02:53 PM
That would have been my comment- something got a bit loose.Yeah, had it happen on a 308 that was shooting through and through, took a break and came back and it was all over the place so I was going to call it a day and when I picked up my rifle I actually felt a rattle so I tapped on the scope and sure enough it had came loose

CFJunkie
07-30-2020, 04:19 PM
I've had similar problems over the years but it has taught me to use a torque wrench on every scope installation or scope move.

Torquing the screws keeps them tight until I decide to move a scope or change something.

Interestingly, torquing the scope mount screws was often forgotten because I always thought that I was getting them tight without torquing them.
It turns out they were the worst offenders.
Now they are the first screws I make sure get torqued.
Having been burned by loosening mounts, I make sure they are torqued tight before I even begin to consider mounting the rings.

Ted_Feasel
07-30-2020, 04:34 PM
I've had similar problems over the years but it has taught me to use a torque wrench on every scope installation or scope move.

Torquing the screws keeps them tight until I decide to move a scope or change something.

Interestingly, torquing the scope mount screws was often forgotten because I always thought that I was getting them tight without torquing them.
It turns out they were the worst offenders.
Now they are the first screws I make sure get torqued.
Having been burned by loosening mounts, I make sure they are torqued tight before I even begin to consider mounting the rings.Yeah, ive used a torque wrench ever since.. i use it on pretty much everything bolt guns and ARs alike.

Mainer
08-02-2020, 07:42 AM
Anyone use a thread locker on the screws for their scope rings or bases? I understand that red grade would be a mistake, but how about blue or purple?

charlie b
08-02-2020, 07:59 AM
Yes, blue. Green would probably work too.

Robinhood
08-02-2020, 03:05 PM
Anyone use a thread locker on the screws for their scope rings or bases? I understand that red grade would be a mistake, but how about blue or purple?

I have never found a need to use loctite or any other thread locking liquid on anything scope related. If properly torqued there is no need. One of the biggest caveats is when you reuse the screws, if they are not completely cleaned of residue the torque value might be misread or wrong due to the resistance caused by the remnants.

Burris, No Loctite

https://www.burrisoptics.com/sites/default/files/content/products/manuals/xtrsignatureringsinstruction.pdf

Warne, No Loctite

They are are the same. No loctite

https://warnescopemounts.com/installation-tutorial-maxima-fixed-rings/

Ted_Feasel
08-02-2020, 05:07 PM
I have never found a need to use loctite or any other thread locking liquid on anything scope related. If properly torqued there is no need. One of the biggest caveats is when you reuse the screws, if they are not completely cleaned of residue the torque value might be misread or wrong due to the resistance caused by the remnants.

Burris, No Loctite

https://www.burrisoptics.com/sites/default/files/content/products/manuals/xtrsignatureringsinstruction.pdf

Warne, No Loctite

They are are the same. No loctite

https://warnescopemounts.com/installation-tutorial-maxima-fixed-rings/I've found very little use for loctite even removable.. there are a couple things on AR builds where ill use removable but even then only a couple places.

bigedp51
08-02-2020, 06:52 PM
Just checked the base to rail, and they were loose, thanks for that tip, will try again tomorrow

I would never come in a forum and admit I had a few loose screws.

https://i.imgur.com/TyF116l.gif

Txhillbilly
08-02-2020, 08:24 PM
I would never come in a forum and admit I had a few loose screws.

https://i.imgur.com/TyF116l.gif

Don't worry BigEd,We already know you have a few loose screws. You're on this forum!

bigedp51
08-02-2020, 08:53 PM
Don't worry BigEd,We already know you have a few loose screws. You're on this forum!

All my screws are Gorilla tight................You tighten the screw until the threads start to smoke and then give the screw two more full turns. :eagerness: