PDA

View Full Version : Savage Arms Model 10T-SR Tactical, what did I get myself into?

223Rem
07-25-2020, 07:02 AM
Bass Pro has them on sale, so I picked one up in 6mm Creedmoor. After (2) gift cards, Club Points and a credit on the Cabelas CC, I am rolling out the door for under $250 (tax and NICS included).

Really want to know about the stock. Tupper generally has the contact but I was hoping that the Accustock will be enough for informal shooting at first.

Are the Accustock decent stock?

CFJunkie
07-25-2020, 08:29 AM
Accu-Stock has an aluminum stiffener to eliminate the flex in the normal Tupperware stock on the cheaper models.

I have three of Accu-Stocks and they all perform well.
I have 6.5mm CMs and .308s and don't notice any flexing in the Accu-Stocks.
I have a 10T-SR in 6.5mm CM and have no problems with it.

I have three other Savages that came with the normal Tupperware stocks and I eventually replaced them because the stocks flex in the larger calibers.
In a .223, the normal Tupperware stock doesn't flex enough to notice, but in the heavier calibers, they do.

Even the larger caliber rifles with Tupperware stocks shot great of of the box, but they improved a bit (about 10% in average group size) with stocks with an aluminum stiffener or in an aluminum chassis.

Shooter0302
07-25-2020, 08:33 AM
Since yours came with the 5R rifling you may not have the cleaning problems I had with my 6 cm, but I was after a clean,clean clean BBl. for using HbN coated bullets.
As to your Question, I'm left handed and I function ok with a right handed rifle.I would advise getting an in/lb. torque driver. You will want to "tweek" the accutrigger. Mine wouldn't fire after using the torque recommendations listed here or from Savage
Depending on your scope & ring height you you may need to use the "cheek risers", or go with an after market "cheek weld pad"

Ted_Feasel
07-25-2020, 12:44 PM
Since yours came with the 5R rifling you may not have the cleaning problems I had with my 6 cm, but I was after a clean,clean clean BBl. for using HbN coated bullets.
As to your Question, I'm left handed and I function ok with a right handed rifle.I would advise getting an in/lb. torque driver. You will want to "tweek" the accutrigger. Mine wouldn't fire after using the torque recommendations listed here or from Savage
Depending on your scope & ring height you you may need to use the "cheek risers", or go with an after market "cheek weld pad"Have you got to clean a 4 ratchet rifled barrel yet? Super easy especially on a finely lapped barrel like shilen.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Shooter0302
07-25-2020, 09:10 PM
Don't want to hi-jack the OP's post, but the only problem with Shilen prefits is that they limit the profiles to one equaling Savage's varmint contour. I guess they figure the prefits are a PITA, so we will discourage that by limiting what we offer .

223Rem
07-26-2020, 07:39 AM
Don't want to hi-jack the OP's post, but the only problem with Shilen prefits is that they limit the profiles to one equaling Savage's varmint contour. I guess they figure the prefits are a PITA, so we will discourage that by limiting what we offer .

Hijack away.

Ted_Feasel
07-26-2020, 07:54 AM
Don't want to hi-jack the OP's post, but the only problem with Shilen prefits is that they limit the profiles to one equaling Savage's varmint contour. I guess they figure the prefits are a PITA, so we will discourage that by limiting what we offer .When i ordered mine from nss there was sporter , varmint, and the large, same size down the barrel, its the one I got but its slipping my mind what its called

Ted_Feasel
07-26-2020, 07:56 AM
Hijack away.http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html

5 profiles

Shooter0302
07-26-2020, 10:00 AM
http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html

5 profiles

Right, muzzles with a .80 and 1.00 in OD. As the Prince said " .20" more and I'd be King, .15" less and I'd be queen. And, while I haven't checked with NSS, A dollar to a dough nut hole says the two 6MM ratchet Bbl's are a 6 Mo. wait, probably 9 Mo. if a Lg. shank is needed.

Ted_Feasel
07-26-2020, 10:09 AM
Right, muzzles with a .80 and 1.00 in OD. As the Prince said " .20" more and I'd be King, .15" less and I'd be queen. And, while I haven't checked with NSS, A dollar to a dough nut hole says the two 6MM ratchet Bbl's are a 6 Mo. wait, probably 9 Mo. if a Lg. shank is needed.That would not suprise me.. i have heard a few people now say they have a 4 month wait on shilens and criterion barrels.