PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Savage Mark II BTVS / BTVLSS Q&A

jasta
11-07-2010, 08:55 PM
[color=blue]Hi All

Jasta here from Sydney. I have been out of the shooting scene for about 17 years or so after the girl at the time didnt want a firearm in the house so out it went, and about a year laster i got rid of her too. The things we do! Anyway new love of my life wants me to get back into shooting "Yay for me". So i had to get my licence and get the red tape started on owning a firearm in NSW. After some serious thought on what i wanted i have chosen the Mark II BTVLSS. I like the look and the Savage name has a good reputation for OTBA and the fact its left handed helps and its a big step up from my old JW15 Norinko. So until the paperwork comes in its sitting in a box at the range teasing me to try it out on some unsuspecting targets. My question to you if you have one is what you think and or have done to it to improve it? Trigger mods, bedding and so on as i find experience from others, better than stuffing it up my self.

Any pros and cons on what you think of yours?

I want to squeeze as much accuracy out of it as i can with little expense so the plan is to:

Lapping the scope mounts for the Tasco WorldClass 6-24x44 Target Scope
Making sure the barrel has enough clearance in the free floating
Adjust the trigger as light and as safe as possible.... any help here would be great on a how to!
Bedding job will help as im told
Testing what ammo it likes

Any thoughts feed back and pictures would help heaps

Thanks

Jasta 8)

Golfbuddy45
11-08-2010, 12:50 AM
As an owner of a Savage MKII BSEV (.22LR) and a Savage 93 BTVS (.22Magnum) I can tell you that there is no need at all to FIX what is already a fantastic Out Of The Box rifle.

However, there are those who always want to make perfect even better so I am sure others will put messages on here on some things you can do. My first suggestion would be to just AIR THAT BABY OUT on the range for a little while and THEN decide if you want to tweak it. The only thing I did before going out was setting my scopes with a Bushnel Laser Sighter at 50 yards.

Savage MKII BSEV on top with 3-9x40 Barska scope and Savage 93 BTVS on the bottom with 4-12x44 SWIFT scope.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/Golfbuddy45/SAVAGEMKIIBSEV22LR-Savage93BTVS22Magnum.jpg

A TEN SHOT CLIP AT 50 YARDS with Remington Match Ammo in my MKII BSEV the first time at the range BEFORE I ZEROED THE SCOPE.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/Golfbuddy45/AMMOTESTBEST.jpg

Just ONE of my 50 yard targets THE FIRST TIME OUT WITH MY BTVS .22MAG.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/Golfbuddy45/22Magnum6HornadyandRemington.jpg

Golfbuddy45
11-08-2010, 12:59 AM
JASTA - - one other thing - I have tried about 13 different ammo manufacturers from Wolf to Winchester, Aguila to Remington, Federal Standard bulk box to higher grade match stuff.
The funny thing in my BSEV .22LR test was that the higher the cost of the ammo the farther away from center it shot. So try some various ammo and see what works best for your rifle.
Guns are made by people and machines and steel is a porous material so every rifle barrel and every action is just a little bit different - even when they come off the line on the same day.

And I do want to reiterate that I have done absolutely nothing to my rifles straight from the factory to get the target shots you see in the post above.

Also - Join the PAID MEMBER club - the yearly dues are cheap and you will feel better about all the FREE advise you will get on here!

kokola
11-23-2010, 10:53 PM
hey,,, golfbuddy 45!

i just joined the forum so that i could ask a question about the btvs.
so i will!
this might sound semi-retarted but what kind of scope mounts come on the mark ii btvs? i want to go ahead and buy the rings for the rifle which ill get and the scope that i have. i thing they're weaver but it isnt very specific on the website and i dont know what size, etc. let me know please! thanks! and what size should the mounts be if i have a 40mm objective scope? again, thanks.

p.s. if u have tried any cci ammo in the btvs could you let me know how it did?

Golfbuddy45
11-24-2010, 12:04 AM
They are standard Weaver rings - not the skinny bases that some .22s have. I used the 1 inch height because I am using 40mm scopes. If you use a 32mm you can use the low rings.

Let me know if you need anything else.

GB45

kokola
11-24-2010, 11:17 AM
okay i will. thanks

kokola
11-24-2010, 06:52 PM
hey golfbuddy 45 i need your approval/alternative suggestions

gun-- savage mark ii btvs

scope--weaver 6-18X50 (not mildot but oh well) http://bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/banner/716185/

mounts--weaver 1 in. 6 hole picatinny rings (high enough for 50mm objective w/ parallax on the objective) http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=WE&prodID=WE99689&prodTitle=Weaver%201

Golfbuddy45
11-24-2010, 08:25 PM
I think that would make a great shooting rig. That 6-18 will give you a great range to zoom in on your targets and I prefer the PARALAX on all my scopes because it allows you to focus the image out at the target.

Just be sure to post pictures when you get yours!

GB45

kokola
11-24-2010, 08:31 PM
haha okay i will in december when i get it for my birthday (16th)
;D ;D ;D

im a yungun (no pun intended)

Golfbuddy45
11-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Just buy one gun every year and when you get to my age you will have 50 of them!!!!!!!!

kokola
11-24-2010, 08:47 PM
haha i have 4 already-- 1. a 20 gauge beretta that i can hit anything with, 2-3. lower quality crosman break barrel pellet guns that taught me how to make my shots count and 4. a savage .243 that can hit a can @ 200 yards which is why the savage will be my gun of choice for the .22lr. so when i get to be your age ill have 54. but you can never have to many firearms!

kokola
12-06-2010, 08:59 PM
ya know... i went to cabelas the other day for some hands on, , , and the savage felt really ugly so i went with the cz 452 lux... .5 inch groups @60 yards before subtraction![/color][/color][/color]

Golfbuddy45
12-06-2010, 09:13 PM
CZ makes great guns but I like American made for myself and I have not seen a CZ that can shoot any better than my Savages.

I know you will enjoy your choice becasue after all, it is Your Choice that counts.

Happy Shooting.

GB45

wackodacko
12-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Hi Golfbuddy, i noticed you have both the BTVS and the BSEV. I'm contemplating on getting the BSEV (actually, i was about to buy it today) but after I saw your side by side comparison photo, I realized the "forearm" portion of the BSEV is much shorter than the BTVS.
Does the BSEV have a sling? i dont see the little things to connect it to... what about a bipod?
Will your left hand be holding the rifle much nearer on the BSEV than the BTVS ? it was out of stock at my local shop so i couldnt compare...thanks!

Golfbuddy45
12-07-2010, 10:42 AM
The BSEV series does not have a sling stud mounted but you can put one in. The wood is thick enough and local gunsmith said it would not be a problem. Look at a Ruger CHARGER pistol - it has the same front end and comes with a Bipod. I chose not to put one on mine because I only to target shooting and have no need to sling a rifle. I have a half dozen quality leather slings but they are sitting on a shelf in my garage.

I was actually planning on buying the BSEV in the "93" and "17" Series for my .22 magnum and .17HMR rifles but decided I wanted a different look so chose the BTVS for the .22 Magnum.

GB45

wackodacko
12-07-2010, 02:31 PM
thanks, i will check that out.
Im still torn between the two models. ill be using it for tactical rimfire, which allows you to use a sling. hmmmmm...

Golfbuddy45
12-07-2010, 06:36 PM
One advantage to the BSEV stock is that it can be used Left or Right Handed if that makes any difference to you. The BTVS is strictly RIGHT handed and the BTVLS is Left Handed only.

In either case I would not trade either as they feel great and shoot great.

GB45