PDA

View Full Version : Takedown Screw Allen Wrench Attachment

Nylon66
10-05-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm working on a savage Model 14 American Classic and have a need to take the takedown screws out. Is there a socket end with a 5/16" Allen wrench tip that will go into the FAT torque wrench socket for re-torquing? Using the Allen wrenches I already have, the ones bent at a 90 degree angle in a plastic pouch, won't go into the FAT wrench attachment to torque the screws. Once I find the correct Allen wrench attachment for the FAT wrench what is the concensus in regards to proper takedown screw torque in inlbs? No manual I have read so far mentions any torque specs. The FAT wrench comes with an insert stating 40 inlbs. for takedown screws in a wooden stocked rifle, non pillared. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Richard in Virginia.

BillPa
10-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm working on a savage Model 14 American Classic and have a need to take the takedown screws out. Is there a socket end with a 5/16" Allen wrench tip that will go into the FAT torque wrench socket for re-torquing? Using the Allen wrenches I already have, the ones bent at a 90 degree angle in a plastic pouch, won't go into the FAT wrench attachment to torque the screws. Once I find the correct Allen wrench attachment for the FAT wrench what is the concensus in regards to proper takedown screw torque in inlbs? No manual I have read so far mentions any torque specs. The FAT wrench comes with an insert stating 40 inlbs. for takedown screws in a wooden stocked rifle, non pillared. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Richard in Virginia.

Go to your local hardware store and get a 5/32" allen 1/4" Hex drive bit. Try to find a 2" long bit, it will give you a bit more working room .
http://rocky.digikey.com/weblib/Wiha/Web%20Photos/mfg743%20series.jpg

Bill

Nylon66
10-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks BillPa.....I'll go look for one of those today. Any thoughts on torque specs? This is a new rifle and in great shape. Thanks, Richard in Virginia.