PDA

View Full Version : Prefit with Lg. shanks

Shooter0302
07-15-2020, 10:01 PM
This is just an FYI for anyone thinking about ordering a prefit requiring a large shank, and you wanting a certain heavy profile.
Only one Co. I've talked to told me that an M 24/MTU profile would require a lot of extra machine and have zero gain over a staged or Palma profile.
If you were going to spend close to $ 600.00 for a bbl. wouldn't you want to get what you wanted ?

Txhillbilly
07-16-2020, 09:53 AM
Most barrel maker's will make what ever profile you want. They could care less about the profile that you specify.
If it's something they usually don't stock,they will just charge you extra for it.

memilanuk
07-16-2020, 10:50 AM
That, and I'm guessing that they assumed you'd actually looked at the dimensions of said contour, compared it to the large shank and seen how much was going to have to be removed.

Yeah, I'd be a little surprised if they didn't say *anything*... but some may be sticking to the saying "the customer is always right... even when they're wrong" [emoji6]

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Fuj'
07-16-2020, 10:57 AM
Profiles as mentioned are really never a problem. The problem is in the nut area
for a chosen barrel. If you choose an M24 that comes in at 1.200, and a large
shank Savage needs to be 1.125, that can be a problem until you think outside
the box. Any barrel needs indexed and tenon cut true. So while it's indicated, it
does not take much extra machining to get what you want.....My M24 Bartlein
blank fitted my way......

Pic won't load. Try later

Shooter0302
07-16-2020, 02:56 PM
Profiles as mentioned are really never a problem. The problem is in the nut area
for a chosen barrel. If you choose an M24 that comes in at 1.200, and a large
shank Savage needs to be 1.125, that can be a problem until you think outside
the box. Any barrel needs indexed and tenon cut true. So while it's indicated, it
does not take much extra machining to get what you want.....My M24 Bartlein
blank fitted my way......

Pic won't load. Try later OBVIOUSLY, you don't have a large shank prefit so, thank you for under whelming with your knowledge

Shooter0302
07-16-2020, 03:09 PM
That, and I'm guessing that they assumed you'd actually looked at the dimensions of said contour, compared it to the large shank and seen how much was going to have to be removed.

Yeah, I'd be a little surprised if they didn't say *anything*... but some may be sticking to the saying "the customer is always right... even when they're wrong" [emoji6]

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

IF they put a price list on their web site and there are no **, I expect them to honor the price of what I order, and not come back and say we can't do that, but this will work just as well.

Shooter0302
07-16-2020, 03:13 PM
TRUTH IN ADVERTISING
* Sporter ---.284 & downStandard Shanks -1.050 x 20tp
Large Shanks -1.112 x 20tpi -There will be a step in diameter right at Dimension A
NSS lists both Sm & Lg. shank in their tapered / MTU profiles

tobnpr
07-16-2020, 07:43 PM
Bugnut solves the breech diameter "problem" for those that want a full 1.20 or 1.25

https://www.bugholes.com/category-s/1820.htm (https://www.bugholes.com/category-s/1820.htm)

As an alternative, for six bills you can get a shouldered barrel custom fitted...and lose the nut if you so choose.

efm77
07-17-2020, 09:17 AM
Excuse my ignorance here and not trying to be a smart allick, but I'm not seeing the point here. Are you saying it won't fit to the contour of the barrel channel in the stock? I've got several large shanks and have had barrels made to very heavy profiles and never had a problem. The M24 is something like 1.25" at the shoulder whereas the large shank Savage is 1.125". It's been a while since I've measured but I didn't think the nut over the shank was more than 1.25" so shouldn't it still fit? I mean you'd start at 1.125 instead of 1.25, but seems they can match the taper from there on down to the muzzle however you want it. Of course if you need or want bigger than that, you can always ditch the nut and get a shouldered barrel made. Sorry, I've just trying to envision in my mind how you guys are saying this won't fit.

Fuj'
07-17-2020, 10:04 AM
OBVIOUSLY, you don't have a large shank prefit so, thank you for under whelming with your knowledge

All my single shot rifles (3) are Savage 12 precision target actions, and
all are using large shank prefits.

If you need a clue.....Look up my SA284 thread, and scroll done to post
#19. Should give you some insight (or not) Tried to post up more relevant
pics but for some reason the system stalls.