PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle OD's, Another 0.065" and I'm a king , not a queen

Pages : [1] 2

Shooter0302
07-12-2020, 01:15 PM
RANT :mad::mad:
It would seam that anyone with at least a little common sense and a small of logic could figure this out, with a standardization of a set group of barrels that it would be good for Savage's bottom line ?? But, not NO, not HELL NO, but WTF were you thinking NO.
Weapons in question;
1. 110 Tactical, OD at the muzzle just below the threads is Savage's standard varmint .820"
2. 10 BA Stealth '' "" " " " "" "" "" the WTF OD of .755"
Plus being about 2 years behind the marketing trend.
Going to return a bunch of 6.5 LR bullets and order a barrel ?? with either a NSS MTU or heavy Palama contour
Think Savage should talk to the PRS shooters they have on the payroll and find out what the winners are shooting.

Robinhood
07-12-2020, 02:06 PM
UH, marksman contour. The Stealth was not designed for PRS. It was designed to sell to tacticool people.

celltech
07-12-2020, 02:09 PM
Different product lines, different goals. Likely trying to keep the weight down on the 10 BA. Doubt there is any cost difference in turning the different profiles.

Shooter0302
07-12-2020, 05:02 PM
The origination owner was given a good lesson, whether it takes hold will depend a lot on how old he AND his wife are.
He bought this for his wife to shoot ?? probably PRS, and he let her shot his $$$$$$$$$$ rifle. And thus, I got this project at a " bottom basement" $$.

Shooter0302
07-12-2020, 05:10 PM
Different product lines, different goals. Likely trying to keep the weight down on the 10 BA. Doubt there is any cost difference in turning the different profiles.

I wonder what "suit" had the "brain fart" :crazy: and thought it would "kool" and help sales by putting large shank threads in the receiver, espically for 6.5 & 308.
Maybe needed for 338 LM but not 308 head size cases.

celltech
07-12-2020, 05:29 PM
The origination owner was given a good lesson, whether it takes hold will depend a lot on how old he AND his wife are.
He bought this for his wife to shoot ?? probably PRS, and he let her shot his $$$$$$$$$$ rifle. And thus, I got this project at a " bottom basement" $$.

A good husband would not get a Savage for his wife to shoot PRS... :cool:

Badfinger
07-12-2020, 07:22 PM
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mFsfZ9C/0/2608b182/O/i-mFsfZ9C.jpg

Shooter0302
07-12-2020, 09:12 PM
A good husband wound not get a Savage for his wife to shoot PRS... :cool:

OK, WHAT rifle would buy your wife to shoot PRS ??

Robinhood
07-12-2020, 09:46 PM
OK, WHAT rifle would buy your wife to shoot PRS ??

PVA; John Hancock
Bad Rock; South Fork
Seekins; Havock Bravo

Seems like a good place to start. All under 2000.

celltech
07-12-2020, 10:07 PM
Bighorn Origin action, KRG Bravo chassis, Criterion barrel, TriggerTech

Shooter0302
07-12-2020, 11:00 PM
OK Celtech and Robinhood , A dollar to a dough nut hole says that if you invested $ 3500.00 to $4500.00 w/ optics for your wife's PRS rifle, you both would say "yes dear that will be fine" when she says," It's getting kinda hot at the range and I think I'll make plans to go to the mall or go to lunch with the girls, you don't mind do you ? there are plenty of people that can spot for you.

A lot of people on forums like to live vicariously through other peoples bank accounts.

And, CELLTECH, if Savages aren't good enough for your wife, what are you doing on a Savage forum ?

olddav
07-12-2020, 11:51 PM
I learned a while back that if a person wants to be mad let them.
It’s their time and energy.

J.Baker
07-13-2020, 12:33 AM
As Celltech noted, it's a matter of different contours for different intended uses/roles. The "one size fits all" mentality simply doesn't fly in the gun world.

Would you want to lug a hefty MTU barreled rifle up to 12,000 feet on a sheep hunt, or carry it all day while walking/glassing 5-10 miles in the back country on a mule deer or elk hunt? I doubt it. By the same token, most would agree a lightweight sporter barrel would be the worst choice possible for a precision competition rifle that requires firing 15-20 rounds in a short period of time per relay or stage.

When it comes to barrel contour it's always a balancing act between prolonged accuracy and weight.

And, CELLTECH, if Savages aren't good enough for your wife, what are you doing on a Savage forum ?

He didn't imply that Savage's aren't good enough for his (or your) wife. What he was pointing out is that given Savage's common issue with feeding/extraction certain cases - particularly those commonly used in PRS, they're really not an ideal choice for a PRS rifle. Skip ahead to 1:25 in the this video for a perfect example of the feeding/extraction issues that plague many Savage's in 6.5 Creedmor and similarly styled cartridges with minimal body taper that are the hot tickets in PRS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGiKSqjOkVM

Have people run Savage's in PRS? Sure, and they'll usually be the first to tell you that if you're serious about it and don't want to be cursing your rifle during the middle of a stage start with different action. Why start your wife off with a handicap?

Fuj'
07-13-2020, 06:31 AM
Well if pennies are important, at least you have the Stealth action to
build off of. Sell off the stock, and replace it with an Oryx. See if Jim has
a Criterion in a 28" M24 contour.

celltech
07-13-2020, 06:44 AM
Thanks Jim...could have not said it better myself! And Savage's are plenty fine for hunting, dinging steel, bench shooting, and just generally learning how to tinker with rifles. While they have many great attributes, a slick, fast running action is not one of them.

Shooter0302
07-13-2020, 04:45 PM
Well if pennies are important, at least you have the Stealth action to
build off of. Sell off the stock, and replace it with an Oryx. See if Jim has
a Criterion in a 28" M24 contour.
This just keeps getting better and better, Mags require short seating of all match bullets, and the feed ramp and chamber opening must have been designed for round nose bullets. But I have found a solicitation, if it doesn't sell locally, look for it in the classifieds :thumb:

Robinhood
07-13-2020, 05:28 PM
Bighorn Origin action, KRG Bravo chassis, Criterion barrel, TriggerTech

That'll work. The TL3, MDT LSS Gen II, AGW 6.5CM, TriggerTech Works for me.

Txhillbilly
07-13-2020, 09:19 PM
This just keeps getting better and better, Mags require short seating of all match bullets, and the feed ramp and chamber opening must have been designed for round nose bullets. But I have found a solicitation, if it doesn't sell locally, look for it in the classifieds :thumb:

Don't know where you came up with that. I run most of my bullets .010" off the lands on most of my rifle's shooting Berger VLD's,and Hornady ELD's and still have all kind of room in the magazines. No matter if they are AICS mags or Dark Eagle mags.
I'm running two 6.5 CM's,a 7mm-08, a 308,and a 22 CM all with detachable mags,and could seat the bullets out a lot further if I needed to.

Just not too many people want to use a Savage action in PRS since everybody knows you will have issues in loading (double stroke the bolt),and extraction/ejection issues that will cost you time.

Shooter0302
07-14-2020, 08:22 AM
WOW, you have two 6.5 CM's,a 7mm-08, a 308,and a 22 CM ALL on 10 BA Stealth actions,and using OME Mags. OH Wait, you are using something totally different and after market mags . Apples to apples

Shooter0302
07-14-2020, 08:27 AM
That'll work. The TL3, MDT LSS Gen II, AGW 6.5CM, TriggerTech Works for me.

You like to hear yourself talk so answer my question.

OK Robinhood , A dollar to a dough nut hole says that if you invested $ 3500.00 to $4500.00 w/ optics for your wife's PRS rifle, you both would say "yes dear that will be fine" when she says," It's getting kinda hot at the range and I think I'll make plans to go to the mall or go to lunch with the girls, you don't mind do you ? there are plenty of people that can spot for you.