PDA

View Full Version : Powder dispensers.

backwoods blacksmith
07-04-2020, 06:43 PM
My first re loader was a Lee hammer set with a powder dipper. Then an RCBS set with beam scale and dispenser for rifle and a Lyman 55 for pistol. Since then I have had Lee, Redding, Hornady, and Dillon. The worst was the Lee and the best was the Redding. I have reloaded thousands of rounds, both rifle and pistol from 38 special to 50 BMG. Years ago I got a Pact dispenser and scale. It worked well for many years but like all electronics it failed. After failing the third time in 20 years I trashed the dispenser. Trying to trickle loads on the scale was an exercise in futility. It would not change and then jump. Trying to get within a tenth for ladder load testing was impossible. Being a Luddite, and not trusting electronics anyway. I set up my old beam scale at eye level and using a trickler I can throw and trickle more accurate loads as fast if not faster than my electronic set up. Others may have had similar experience while the newer, younger crowd may trust the electronics. For me, the old tried and true, mechanical method still works, is as accurate as I am, and does not need batteries or electricity.;)

Robinhood
07-04-2020, 07:15 PM
I posted a video on another thread where a camera was used to resolution on the pointer. It was a great setup. I think my setup is faster now but not more accurate.

Stumpkiller
07-04-2020, 09:46 PM
Some years ago I bid on an ebaY item that was a system that used an Ohaus beam scale, a led and a photocell, a little motor with an eccentric cam and a hopper for powder with a trickler tube. The unit ran, dumping powder as the trickle shook powder from the wobble motor, until the beam broke the LED light to the photo-eye. There was a little rheostat to adjust sensitivity of the photo-eye. Truly Rube Goldberg, but the video linked to the auction showed it working three times in a row.

Been reloading since 1975 and have never used a digital scale. Dippers to beam scales; and when I was shooting PPC just trusted my Lyman 55 (which is over 40 years old at this point).

Mr.Snerdly
07-04-2020, 10:19 PM
Others may have had similar experience while the newer, younger crowd may trust the electronics. For me, the old tried and true, mechanical method still works, is as accurate as I am, and does not need batteries or electricity.;)

I don't trust electronics either and I simply despise my digital caliper. I am pretty much convinced a caliper is not the most accurate way even if you have an old fashioned dial caliper, which, in my opinion, is far superior. I still want to get a 0-1", 1-2" and 2-3" micrometer. They are accurate to within 1/10000" and far easier to measure with. The sad part is I had a high quality Starret 0-1" and a good quality 2-3" micrometer that the boys that are renting my farm lost. Well, they lost the 0-1" and the 2-3" they let it out and it rusted. I got it freed up but it doesn't read right now.

Robinhood
07-05-2020, 12:32 AM
Them boys need to step up and pay up.