PDA

View Full Version : Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Pages : [1] 2

Mr.Snerdly
07-04-2020, 01:42 PM
I wanted to reload years ago and I had some things I forgot I had. I had a Lee measure out at the farm and got it this morning. It is actually accurate enough I believe you could skip weighing each charge. It isn't absolutely perfect on every charge but I am sure it is good enough for what I am wanting to do. It works much better than the RCBS measure, at least on this particular powder. It doesn't have the spot where there is resistance when the grain is being sheared like the RCBS and is definitely more consistent. It is as smooth as fuzz over glass. Everything I have gotten from Lee is at least the equal of RCBS and sometimes better at a much more reasonable cost. The measure from Lee doesn't look nearly as impressive, has plastic parts but if it works better, what more can you want?

Ted_Feasel
07-04-2020, 03:08 PM
I wanted to reload years ago and I had some things I forgot I had. I had a Lee measure out at the farm and got it this morning. It is actually accurate enough I believe you could skip weighing each charge. It isn't absolutely perfect on every charge but I am sure it is good enough for what I am wanting to do. It works much better than the RCBS measure, at least on this particular powder. It doesn't have the spot where there is resistance when the grain is being sheared like the RCBS and is definitely more consistent. It is as smooth as fuzz over glass. Everything I have gotten from Lee is at least the equal of RCBS and sometimes better at a much more reasonable cost. The measure from Lee doesn't look nearly as impressive, has plastic parts but if it works better, what more can you want?The only problem I had with my original lee was using ball or flake powders, it leaked like white house democrat lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Bill2905
07-04-2020, 07:01 PM
I still have one that I got in my early reloading days about 27 years ago. It works good enough for pistol plinking rounds but suffers from the typical inconsistencies of drop measures. It works fine for making a short drop and finishing with a trickle. Mine occasionally has rough spots where it cuts certain powders.

Mr.Snerdly
07-04-2020, 07:10 PM
Well, I tried the Lee on every powder I have--IMR 4064, Varget, Benchmark and CFE 223. It didn't leak on any of them and the Benchmark and CFE 223 metered so precisely that I will just dump right in the brass. I am sure it would leak on some powders but probably anything I use it will be fine. The 4064 and Varget I probably will weigh on the scale but the others, especially the CFE 223, was so close you could not tell a difference on the pointer on the beam scale at all. It is easier to adjust to get the initial charge, going by Lee instructions it is very close and one or two adjustments and you have it right on the money. It is also nice to be able to turn off the powder in the container, cycle the lever a couple times to get all the powder out and dump it back in the powder container. It works so much better than the RCBS and is priced less than 1/3 of the RCBS. It is an excellent value.

Bill2905
07-04-2020, 07:31 PM
Well, I tried the Lee on every powder I have--IMR 4064, Varget, Benchmark and CFE 223. It didn't leak on any of them and the Benchmark and CFE 223 metered so precisely that I will just dump right in the brass. I am sure it would leak on some powders but probably anything I use it will be fine. The 4064 and Varget I probably will weigh on the scale but the others, especially the CFE 223, was so close you could not tell a difference on the pointer on the beam scale at all. It is easier to adjust to get the initial charge, going by Lee instructions it is very close and one or two adjustments and you have it right on the money. It is also nice to be able to turn off the powder in the container, cycle the lever a couple times to get all the powder out and dump it back in the powder container. It works so much better than the RCBS and is priced less than 1/3 of the RCBS. It is an excellent value.

I am glad to hear that it is meeting your expectations.

Ted_Feasel
07-04-2020, 07:36 PM
Well, I tried the Lee on every powder I have--IMR 4064, Varget, Benchmark and CFE 223. It didn't leak on any of them and the Benchmark and CFE 223 metered so precisely that I will just dump right in the brass. I am sure it would leak on some powders but probably anything I use it will be fine. The 4064 and Varget I probably will weigh on the scale but the others, especially the CFE 223, was so close you could not tell a difference on the pointer on the beam scale at all. It is easier to adjust to get the initial charge, going by Lee instructions it is very close and one or two adjustments and you have it right on the money. It is also nice to be able to turn off the powder in the container, cycle the lever a couple times to get all the powder out and dump it back in the powder container. It works so much better than the RCBS and is priced less than 1/3 of the RCBS. It is an excellent value.I gotta admit I love the lee method to empty your hopper

charlie b
07-04-2020, 11:20 PM
I like it too.

I think I've had most of the Lee measures. Auto Disk, Perfect, Deluxe Perfect, and Auto Drum. The Auto Disk I use on my (Lee) progressive press for all my pistol loads (and even my rifle mouse fart loads). The Deluxe Perfect is what I use for all my rifle shooting. The other two went by the wayside. The Auto Drum did 'leak' fine powder (like AA5 and AA7). The Perfect was OK but the plastic drum was not as precise as I liked.

I'd like the Deluxe Perfect a LOT better if the screw for adjusting the charge was easier to operate. It works as is but large changes, like changing from a .223 to .30-06, is kind of tedious.

NicfromAlabama
07-05-2020, 01:04 AM
I haven't used mine in a while, but I found the Lee Perfect Powder Measure accurate. However, it has a problem with stick powders for obvious reasons. If I don't get the powder to throw a charge with one consistent motion of the handle, it will probably be inaccurate as yanking on the handle will cause an overcharge. Other than that, it is a pretty good piece of equipment.

charlie b
07-05-2020, 08:44 AM
That is one of the things the Deluxe version fixed. It cuts the offending grains better.

Consistent motion is what all powder measures need to be accurate.

Mr.Snerdly
07-05-2020, 09:08 AM
I haven't used mine in a while, but I found the Lee Perfect Powder Measure accurate. However, it has a problem with stick powders for obvious reasons. If I don't get the powder to throw a charge with one consistent motion of the handle, it will probably be inaccurate as yanking on the handle will cause an overcharge. Other than that, it is a pretty good piece of equipment.

Can you give some examples of stick powders? I thought Varget and IMR4064 and 3031 would be but I am not sure. What would these powders be considered?

Robinhood
07-05-2020, 09:44 AM
Can you give some examples of stick powders? I thought Varget and IMR4064 and 3031 would be but I am not sure. What would these powders be considered?

The examples you gave are stick powders. They come in a variety of diameters and lengths.

NicfromAlabama
07-06-2020, 12:07 AM

Yes, IMR 4064 was the one I was referring to primarily with my experience, and I even think 3031, as I use those two extensively.

I was not aware of the Deluxe version. I just looked at it. I may have to get one later.

I'm using an RCBS Chargemaster Lite right now since I mostly load small batches. So far, it has worked well, but not for high volume loading of plinking ammo.

Czy_Horse
07-16-2020, 07:21 AM
I have a bench mounted 'Lee Perfect Powder Measure' for rifle reloads done on my Single Stage RCBS Rock Chucker. The stick powders I use IMR4350, H4198, IMR8133 are within +/- 0.1gn.
On my Lee 4-hole Turret I use the press mounted 'Lee Auto-Drum' for all my pistol reloads. I have extra 'powder drums' for different calibers to reduce set up time.
The Lee Auto-Drum does leak with finer powders like H110.

JeepsAndGuns
07-16-2020, 12:33 PM
I recently bought the Lee perfect powder measure. I had about 450 rounds of some 308 plinking ammo I was wanting to load, and I did not want to use my lyman gen 6, it would just take too long. My old (older than me) lyman No 55 powder measure was not working with IMR4895 that I was wanting to use. (grains would get caught and lock it up). I use it with great results with ball and flake powders, but stick it is a no go.
I buy the lee because it is supposed to be great for the stick powders. I set it up and yep, it throws very smoothly with no catching or cutting of the grains. Only it can not throw a consistent charge to save it's life. No matter how gently I worked it, no matter what adjustment I made, it would vary as much as 1 full grain from the lightest charge to the heaviest. I tried every tip and trick I could find online to no avail.
That is just too much variation. The old lyman would never change by more than .1
I ended up switching to win 748 so I could use the lyman. At least with it the charge never varied.

chamokaneman
07-17-2020, 09:28 PM
I like mine. I've used it with TAC, IMR4320, and H335. Pretty consistent device for the money I paid for it.

Mr.Snerdly
07-18-2020, 11:29 AM
I recently bought the Lee perfect powder measure. I had about 450 rounds of some 308 plinking ammo I was wanting to load, and I did not want to use my lyman gen 6, it would just take too long. My old (older than me) lyman No 55 powder measure was not working with IMR4895 that I was wanting to use. (grains would get caught and lock it up). I use it with great results with ball and flake powders, but stick it is a no go.
I buy the lee because it is supposed to be great for the stick powders. I set it up and yep, it throws very smoothly with no catching or cutting of the grains. Only it can not throw a consistent charge to save it's life. No matter how gently I worked it, no matter what adjustment I made, it would vary as much as 1 full grain from the lightest charge to the heaviest. I tried every tip and trick I could find online to no avail.
That is just too much variation. The old lyman would never change by more than .1
I ended up switching to win 748 so I could use the lyman. At least with it the charge never varied.

What powder were you using? On Varget and 4064 my Lee is more accurate and smoother than the RCBS, although neither one is perfect with those two powders, at least if you want to get within .1 grain all the time. The Lee is within .1 of a grain 9 times out of 10 but sometimes it will be off maybe .2 grain. The Lee I believe would be accurate enough with some other powders to simply skip weighing every one. I have only tried CFE223 besides the two previously mentioned but you can hardly see any deviation from the zero mark on the powder scale with that powder. I don't know how the RCBS would work. Since the Lee works better on the others I just will use it for everything.

Ted_Feasel
07-18-2020, 11:32 AM
What powder were you using? On Varget and 4064 my Lee is more accurate and smoother than the RCBS, although neither one is perfect with those two powders, at least if you want to get within .1 grain all the time. The Lee is within .1 of a grain 9 times out of 10 but sometimes it will be off maybe .2 grain. The Lee I believe would be accurate enough with some other powders to simply skip weighing every one. I have only tried CFE223 besides the two previously mentioned but you can hardly see any deviation from the zero mark on the powder scale with that powder. I don't know how the RCBS would work. Since the Lee works better on the others I just will use it for everything.The only real issue I had with my lee is that it leaked badly on flake and ball powders , i could tighten it to minimize leaking but it would still leak and very tight throw when tightened

Mr.Snerdly
07-18-2020, 02:21 PM
^^^That would be bad. I guess I don't use them and if I ever did I still have the RCBS that will work.

Ted_Feasel
07-18-2020, 02:35 PM
^^^That would be bad. I guess I don't use them and if I ever did I still have the RCBS that will work.I have a 2 rcbs and one hornady that all work perfectly, depending on powder and if im doing handgun ( i don't worry if im off 1/10) or precision LD rifle rounds determines if i trickle.. all my LD loads I set for a 1/2 gr under then trickle up to exactly what I want. I keep the RCBS setup for my handgun rounds and the hornady setup with the rifle cylinder, then a 3rds rcbs that just lays there lol. To be frank I think when you compare the accuracy and quality of the rcbs to the hornady its 6 one way , a half dozen the other. The only thing I really do like about the hornady over the rcbs(at least the 2 I have) is the hornady has a quick change cylinder and quick release meter that really makes emptying the throw after your done.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200718/7a548d4904d8c3d50c1d3e6985a2b450.jpg

JeepsAndGuns
07-21-2020, 12:28 PM
what powder were you using?

imr 4895