PDA

View Full Version : Rock chucks and 6mm

backwoods blacksmith
07-03-2020, 09:59 PM
Several years ago, on the east side of Oregon, scouting for mule deer, I ran across a long volcanic ridge covered with rock chucks. Having my 30-06 AI, I started shooting at about 500 and worked my way out to 800. 180 gr Sierra GK at 3050 fps made quick work of them. What fun. But expensive and ran more rounds through that rifle than I wanted. So I started thinking of 70 to 90 grain bullets in 6mm. I knew that the 243 Win was not for me. so I stared looking for a 6 BR. What I found was a Savage 110 that had been re-chambered from 243 to 6x284. My thought was that If I did not like it I could barrel to the 6BR. Was I surprized. 85 gr Sierras at 3350. Bug hole at 100 1/2 MOA at 200. Out of a 22 in barrel that had who knows how many rounds had been through it,
I mounted a SWFA SS 16x and rebarreled with a 26 in Shilen heavy sporter and commenced to kill rock chucks and coyotes at surprising distances.. But the stock sucked. I made a cheek riser, which helped. but the trigger really sucked. Looking for a new stock I got a Boyds AT that fit a blind magazine J action. After in-letting where necessary and bedding the action and barrel, cammo paint over the laminated stock, back to the range we went. Did a load development ladder with the 85 grainers. 3350 still the most consistent. 1/2 MOA at 200 HECK YEAH.. Went after chucks and ground squirrels in N Calif. Shooting off of a tripod the really crappy trigger was frustrating. A stock that fit, a load that would shoot. I hate to blame misses on equipment but that trigger had to go. Shooting prone off a bipod worked really well but a better trigger was going to be necessary before I could shoot confidently off of the tripod sitting or standing.
So without any further study I proceeded to mess up one of the worst engineered triggers I have ever seen. Then to find that parts are none existent, you have to jump through hoops to get a newer trigger group from Savage or spend more than I want for the only trigger group that is complete. How frustrating. Two more months before the chucks disappear and no trigger in the near futcher. ARGH!!! Desperate enough to buy a used rifle and salvage the parts from it. Still thinking

Robinhood
07-03-2020, 11:13 PM
You might be underestimating the 243 though. Fude for thought.

yobuck
07-04-2020, 07:44 AM
Several years ago, on the east side of Oregon, scouting for mule deer, I ran across a long volcanic ridge covered with rock chucks. Having my 30-06 AI, I started shooting at about 500 and worked my way out to 800. 180 gr Sierra GK at 3050 fps made quick work of them. What fun. But expensive and ran more rounds through that rifle than I wanted. So I started thinking of 70 to 90 grain bullets in 6mm. I knew that the 243 Win was not for me. so I stared looking for a 6 BR. What I found was a Savage 110 that had been re-chambered from 243 to 6x284. My thought was that If I did not like it I could barrel to the 6BR. Was I surprized. 85 gr Sierras at 3350. Bug hole at 100 1/2 MOA at 200. Out of a 22 in barrel that had who knows how many rounds had been through it,
I mounted a SWFA SS 16x and rebarreled with a 26 in Shilen heavy sporter and commenced to kill rock chucks and coyotes at surprising distances.. But the stock sucked. I made a cheek riser, which helped. but the trigger really sucked. Looking for a new stock I got a Boyds AT that fit a blind magazine J action. After in-letting where necessary and bedding the action and barrel, cammo paint over the laminated stock, back to the range we went. Did a load development ladder with the 85 grainers. 3350 still the most consistent. 1/2 MOA at 200 HECK YEAH.. Went after chucks and ground squirrels in N Calif. Shooting off of a tripod the really crappy trigger was frustrating. A stock that fit, a load that would shoot. I hate to blame misses on equipment but that trigger had to go. Shooting prone off a bipod worked really well but a better trigger was going to be necessary before I could shoot confidently off of the tripod sitting or standing.
So without any further study I proceeded to mess up one of the worst engineered triggers I have ever seen. Then to find that parts are none existent, you have to jump through hoops to get a newer trigger group from Savage or spend more than I want for the only trigger group that is complete. How frustrating. Two more months before the chucks disappear and no trigger in the near futcher. ARGH!!! Desperate enough to buy a used rifle and salvage the parts from it. Still thinking
Meanwhile them little buggers is out there multiplyin. lol

backwoods blacksmith
07-04-2020, 10:58 AM
The 243 is a great round but I wanted something with better range and velocity. The 6 BR would have done that but I got the 6x284 on impulse and have not been disappointed.

backwoods blacksmith
07-15-2020, 08:38 PM
Broke down and ordered a Jard trigger, only to find they have none. What???? Parts out to heat treat .No idea when I will get one. Thinking of buying a new rifle in 6mm Creedmore.

JeepsAndGuns
07-16-2020, 12:45 PM
I have a 6mm-284 that was my grandfathers. He built it on a post 64 winchester model 70. It has a med-heavy barrel on it. It has a slow twist rate on it so heavy bullets are a no go.
His load was a 75gr hornady HP, using either imr or H 4831 (would have to check my notes). I can not remember the speeds, but it was in the high 3000's (been a long time since I shot it)
It is a hot round. They are known for being "barrel burners", but it is fun to shoot. I was shooting some golf balls at 100 yards with it one time playing around.

Texas10
07-24-2020, 08:41 PM
May I suggest that you place a want to buy ad in the classified for a varmint or target trigger. I've upgraded all my model 12 FV's to the Target Accutrigger.

petesv
08-15-2020, 05:55 AM
Hello i have a savage 12 vlpdbm it has 9.25 twist standard barrel .243 i am using swiss rs60 powder in the USA this is called reloder 17 i am shooting 95 hpbt sierra bullets at just over FPS 3300 with no pressure signs at all it is half inch group 5 shots at 100yds cheap brass available every where, in the uk any thing with creedmoor or br 284 6mm or other not popular rounds will cost you a lot more cash ie .243 brass a 100 £87 6mm creedmoor £112