PDA

View Full Version : Why is it Savage can make a Rifle That shoots One Hole But Can't Eject The Spent Cartridge?

Pages : 1 [2]

Spudgun
07-10-2020, 08:52 AM
I got the same problems too.

I have a model 12 F/V in 6.5 CM and ejects every time. Now my 110 that I re-barreled in 6mm CM, Will drop the case in the chamber about 80% of the time. Replaced the ejector, and extractor with the Kinney's extractor kit but still drops the cases when slowly extracting the bolt.

Same brass in both rifles (Starline).

I think my issue may be the magazine causing the ejection issues.

I only single feed my shots so I modified the mag and took out the spring and follower in the mag and put a piece of stiff foam in the mag so that I could drop a round in and feed into the chamber.

Upon further inspection I think maybe the lips on the mag are catching the case when I slowly slide the bolt back and knock it off the extractor.

Going to try to rework that area.

Anyone else got ideas???

mnbogboy2
07-10-2020, 10:10 AM
The feed lips should be lower than the bolt head itself. It is almost impossible for them to touch the case during extraction. It is possible that they are hitting the bolt head itself and causing enough "disturbance" for it to drop the case.

A more common problem is the Creedmoor case diameter is often slightly larger than the original case of the donor action and it slightly "wedges" itself between the lug abutment & the bolt rail. Slowly pulling it through can dislodge the case. Watching the case during a slow extraction may reveal this. It is easier to watch with barrel removed. Marking the case with a Sharpie may reveal this interference also. You may be able to feel these "corners" with your finger. Often a machining burr is left causing the additional drag on the case.
The fix for that one is to remove the barrel & carefully machine, dremmel or file the offending corners. The path of the case withdrawal can also be altered somewhat when removing this material to avoid up & down directional changes as much as possible.

Just another thing to look at,
Randy

Badfinger
07-10-2020, 03:40 PM
Spudgun, I doubt the magazine has anything to do with the failure to eject. But you try ejecting with the magazine removed, that should help to determine if it's part of the problem.

Badfinger
07-10-2020, 06:09 PM
On another note, I'm loving this rifle more every day, walked out on the deck and shot this a little while ago between storms and as usual it never disappoints.
God I love this little rifle!

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/n-vww9h/Savage-1/i-kSNf5Gg/0/7be1ad36/S/TgtGfx710-S.jpg

Spudgun
07-10-2020, 07:05 PM
Yeah, your right, just trying to look at everything.

It did start out as a .308 win. Rebarreled it for 6mm CM.

My 12 F/V, 6.5 CM, will work everytime.

The inside of the receiver is most likely causing it like you mentioned.

Robinhood
07-11-2020, 01:04 PM
Potatolauncher, Im interested in that jeep. Do you have that same picture in a larger clearer format?

Txhillbilly
07-11-2020, 01:33 PM
Potatolauncher, Im interested in that jeep. Do you have that same picture in a larger clearer format?

What Jeep? I don't see any jeep in that picture!