PDA

View Full Version : .243 Winchester w/ Speer 70 TNT bullet

Wallyl
06-26-2020, 11:24 AM
I am working on developing a good load in the .243 Win using Speer 70 TNT bullets and SW Match powder.... My starting load was 39.0 Grains/CCI-200 primer. I got 3,023 Avg velocity with my Savage Axis 22" barrel rifle. My reloading manuals show I should get about 3,400~3,500 FPS at a max safe load. Was wondering if anyone has loaded this bullet and can share their statistics. I do realize all rifles are different and one has to slowly work up loadings.

yobuck
06-26-2020, 01:15 PM
I am working on developing a good load in the .243 Win using Speer 70 TNT bullets and SW Match powder.... My starting load was 39.0 Grains/CCI-200 primer. I got 3,023 Avg velocity with my Savage Axis 22" barrel rifle. My reloading manuals show I should get about 3,400~3,500 FPS at a max safe load. Was wondering if anyone has loaded this bullet and can share their statistics. I do realize all rifles are different and one has to slowly work up loadings.
Well tell us why you realize that Wally?
Could it be that its the way weve been led to believe is the correct way?
Realize that loading manuals face liability issues, so that naturatly affects the information they list.
So if we want to find out how fast our car goes, do we do that in small increments also?
There is no reason why the safe max velocity load for a particular powder and bullet combination cant be found with very few rounds, maybe as few as 5 or 6. But its not the traditional way were been taught.
Now velocity is one thing and accuracy is another thing.
But there is no valid reason we cant first find the max velocity, then try to find a way to make it work.

Wallyl
06-26-2020, 03:14 PM
Ok....just wanted to hear from someone that shoots the 70 grain TNT in the .243 Winchester that can share their results.....ie a load that has worked well for them.

Bill2905
06-26-2020, 03:17 PM
Deleted