PDA

View Full Version : Savage quality

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Ted_Feasel
07-04-2020, 09:34 AM
Yeah. LOW probably. They are making the flagship for Athlon and probably Bushnells better stuff too. I bet there are others also.Well I know vortex on their high end scopes take basically the same scopes ordered to the specs they desire then they in house machine new high quality turret mechanisims, etch new reticles.. basically gut them and replace the parts with high quality parts they make in house.. ive wondered if the is any compatibility among the internals of PA and vortex

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Robinhood
07-04-2020, 09:48 AM
Well I know vortex on their high end scopes take basically the same scopes ordered to the specs they desire then they in house machine new high quality turret mechanisims, etch new reticles.. basically gut them and replace the parts with high quality parts they make in house.. ive wondered if the is any compatibility among the internals of PA and vortex

Im not sure about that but I do believe the AMG is American Made Glass.

Ted_Feasel
07-04-2020, 10:58 AM
Im not sure about that but I do believe the AMG is American Made Glass.It is.. im talking about their high end scopes.. they even detail on their site what they do to make them better.. Japanese glass though ain't nothing to sneeze at.. they have been dealing in some of the finest optics in the film industry for decades.. im sure cinema quality camara lenses are made to a very high standard. But all in all i would much prefer American made even if it does cost a little more at times

yobuck
07-04-2020, 11:10 AM
I wonder who makes the Jap glass now days?

Ted_Feasel
07-04-2020, 12:52 PM
I wonder who makes the Jap glass now days?I think they probably make their own.. they have been making top notch glass for cameras and lenses, telescopes for decades but i guess I dont really know if they have outsorced

yobuck
07-04-2020, 01:24 PM
The barrel itself, and the quality of the chambering, are the two most important factors in building an accurate rifle IMHO.
Mass production barrels are exactly that...
I honestly have no idea what, if any, QC Savage extends to their barrels- based on what I've personally seen I would have to say none.

As mentioned, just about every one I've talked myself into borescoping has absolutely horrible chatter from the rifling button. If I ever got a blank like that from Bartlein, Krieger, Shilen, etc. I'd put it back in the tube and send it back where it came from. Nevertheless, most all shoot "well"- meaning sub-minute, and some much better. Goes to show it's not as detrimental as many presume.

To my point, without stringent QC you can't be sure that EVERY barrel will live up to the high standards that top-end manufacturers stake their reputation on.
Every blank borescoped. Every blank air-gauged and the bore lapped. This is why the top dogs have the reputations they do, and can get the $$ they charge. No smith (none with a brain, anyhow) will want to risk spending a day painstakingly chambering a barrel as precisely as can be done- only to have it fail to shoot due to a lousy bore.

When it comes to barrels, you can guarantee a tack driver if you spend the coin on the barrel and a smith that knows what to do with it (or a prefit from a quality manuf)
Or, you can roll the dice less expensively with a Savage- usually you'll be a happy camper if your expectations are realistic. If not, re-barrel it- because they can be done without a smith, you're hundreds $$ ahead of the game.

The most expensive Savage I ever purchased (I usually just buy the actions) was a recent .338 LM.
Barrel looks like sh**, but shoots 3/4 minute. In my mind, for a bit over a grand- I got a marginal (but safe) action, and a nice chassis that was worth the purchase price. If it didn't shoot, I was going to rebarrel it and it would have still been a good investment.

Keep in mind, if you're an accuracy "freak" like many of us (only accurate rifles are interesting, right?)- scour the pawnshops and pick up a rifle in your desired action length- usually $200-$300 tops will do it.
You can rebarrel it, install a quality trigger, and set it in a decent stock like a B&C and still be at around a grand. In my mind, that's a better route than rolling the dice on a factory stick.
Well that all sounds good, but fact is most people buying factory built rifles arent (accuracy) freaks, including most who buy Savages.
Fact also is that many of the factory rifles today shoot extremly well, not just Savages, which could also be for reasons other than the rifle itself.
Lets be perfectly honest here as for the accuracy nuts using Savages.
Most who do, do so because they dont have the machinery nor the ability to use it for chambering a barrel and installing it without a barrel nut.
Mind you now i fully realize that building a gun on a tuned factory action could exceed the ability level of most of us.
But tuning an action is a skill level most of us dont have either, and id venture to say most arent for that reason.
So at what point does any of that begin to matter, or dosent it matter anyway for at least most of us who might consider ourselves accuracy nuts?

Robinhood
07-04-2020, 06:08 PM
Well that all sounds good, but fact is most people buying factory built rifles arent (accuracy) freaks, including most who buy Savages.
Fact also is that many of the factory rifles today shoot extremly well, not just Savages, which could also be for reasons other than the rifle itself.
Lets be perfectly honest here as for the accuracy nuts using Savages.
Most who do, do so because they dont have the machinery nor the ability to use it for chambering a barrel and installing it without a barrel nut.
Mind you now i fully realize that building a gun on a tuned factory action could exceed the ability level of most of us.
But tuning an action is a skill level most of us dont have either, and id venture to say most arent for that reason.
So at what point does any of that begin to matter, or dosent it matter anyway for at least most of us who might consider ourselves accuracy nuts?

I guess it is time to shut down the gun forums. Everyone wants to talk about accuracy but that's all been done 40 years ago and there is nothing left to talk about. Why should anyone get into the sport or even modify their factory rifle? Turn out the lights...the party is over.:behindsofa::pop2:

Ted_Feasel
07-04-2020, 07:40 PM
I guess it is time to shut down the gun forums. Everyone wants to talk about accuracy but that's all been done 40 years ago and there is nothing left to talk about. Why should anyone get into the sport or even modify their factory rifle? Turn out the lights...the party is over.:behindsofa::pop2:I never met you but I gotta feeling we would get along just fine my fellow smart ass;)