PDA

View Full Version : Left handed pathetic caliber selections

Pages : 1 [2]

gbflyer
06-25-2020, 10:02 AM
I shoot left but when benchrested I find it easier to cycle a right handed bolt gun. That's why I just bought one. I also have a tactical advantage shooting right handed pump action shotguns left handed

Left bolt right port is solid gold off the bench for a southpaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yobuck
06-25-2020, 10:50 AM
I shoot left but when benchrested I find it easier to cycle a right handed bolt gun. That's why I just bought one. I also have a tactical advantage shooting right handed pump action shotguns left handed
Exactly, I have three bench guns i use for long range hunting and all are right hand actions by choice.
I prefer to have the ability to look into the action as i load since all are single fed.
I have two right handed Rem 870s, a 12 and a 20, and could have chosen leftys.
Its simply mind over matter.
If you want one of the hotter cartridges your better off building it off a Rem action anyway.

Bill2905
06-25-2020, 04:52 PM

I also prefer shooting from the wrong side of a right bolt rifle when at the bench. I find it much easier to control the rifle with my strong hand while cycling the bolt with my right hand. I bought a left bolt Savage for bench shooting a few years ago and never took to it very well.

If I were using a bolt rifle in the field for hunting or competing in PRS, it would be a left bolt.

J.Baker
06-25-2020, 10:56 PM
Savaqe's custom shop is still an option, but it's a long and costly wait with the premium they add to the price to have someone hand-walk the build through the factory. For the same money or possibly even a little less you can often pick up a clean used rifle to get the donor action and then fit it with an aftermarket barrel. I've seen lots of centerfeed actions selling here for between $250 and $300 in the last year or two. Figure another $300-450 for a quality aftermarket barrel (will vary by brand and rifling type). Another $30 for a recoil lug and however much for the style of stock or chassis you want. Figuring $400 as the midrange on stock/chassis prices you're looking at just under $1200 median w/o optics for custom rifle. Given what Savage is getting for many of their heavy barreled rifles these days that's only a few hundred bucks more for a custom and you won't be spending even more to upgrade the factory rifles chassis/stock or barrel.

Ted_Feasel
06-25-2020, 11:37 PM
I love all the different ideas that float in here and even more i love that firearms and freedom give us all a common bond:) you all are awesome.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Robinhood
06-26-2020, 06:19 AM
I love all the different ideas that float in here and even more i love that firearms and freedom give us all a common bond:) you all are awesome.

Here Here