PDA

View Full Version : Bolt will not close fully.

Armouredtrooper
06-19-2020, 06:28 PM
After dropping my savage scout in the mud last fall while falling down an embankment while on a hunt, my scout really needed a good cleaning (as well as myself). I stripped down my rifle into it's component parts. trigger group removed, bolt disassembled, everything cleaned and reassembled but with one problem. My bolt handle doesn't rotate flush into the recess on the stock when the bolt is closed.. further to that, the three position safety will only work in the no fire position, the no fire bolt open but the safety button will not go rearward enough to lock the bolt into the closed position what am I missing? Is there a thread that addresses this?

Ted_Feasel
06-19-2020, 07:39 PM
After dropping my savage scout in the mud last fall while falling down an embankment while on a hunt, my scout really needed a good cleaning (as well as myself). I stripped down my rifle into it's component parts. trigger group removed, bolt disassembled, everything cleaned and reassembled but with one problem. My bolt handle doesn't rotate flush into the recess on the stock when the bolt is closed.. further to that, the three position safety will only work in the no fire position, the no fire bolt open but the safety button will not go rearward enough to lock the bolt into the closed position what am I missing? Is there a thread that addresses this?Did you maybe put the outer bolt lug 180° off??? I seem to recall doing that along time ago and could fully go into battery.. there's others in here far more up on the fine points of savage, just throwing ya a hail marry[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Armouredtrooper
06-19-2020, 08:08 PM
I found the problem! At one time before last hunting season, I decided to pick up a standard picatinny rail to bridge the action on my scout rifle. Since I wasn't familiar with the forward mounting scout concept, I mounted a standard rail over the action, mounted, bore sighted then zeroed a vortex scope to my baby I also replaced that horrible Gawd awful muzzle break with a Dlask linear compensator. After my slipping on a slope during a hunt, I had taken off the rail and reinstalled the stock scout rail onto the rifle. For some reason, the most rearward rail mounting was a hair too long. After a bit of research on this fine website, I was able to find and correct the problem. I shortened that mounting screw by 1 mm and now the rifle works flawlessly. Thanks guys, I'm a happy hunter.

Armouredtrooper
06-19-2020, 08:11 PM
Thanks Ted, Prior to checking here, I scoured U tube for instructions on strip and assemble that bolt, so I knew that I didn't mess that up.

Ted_Feasel
06-19-2020, 08:17 PM
Thanks Ted, Prior to checking here, I scoured U tube for instructions on strip and assemble that bolt, so I knew that I didn't mess that up.No problem, i should have mentioned that also, on my rail, one screw is a tad longer and if you put the longer one on the rear of the action it will interfere.. glad you solved it:)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk