PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Guard Screw

Kiwi75
06-18-2020, 01:05 AM
Hi all, I have just purchased a new to me, but second hand Savage Model 14 in 308, classic timber stock, bottom release for bolt. First Savage I’ve owned so finding my way around.

I am trying to source a new screw for the trigger guard and can’t find info on what or where to order, the action screws are hex head type and the current trigger guard screw is a blade screw driver head and stainless (looks out of place so was going to get a new one).
Everyone keeps coming back with a timber screw thread but currently this has a machine screw and a aluminium bedding block set in the stock - I’m starting to wonder if this is not original now? Can anyone shed some light here please?
Cheers

GaCop
06-18-2020, 06:05 AM
I'm not familiar with that model but, you should be able to get a replacement screw by contacting Savage customer service.

Robinhood
06-18-2020, 07:06 AM
There is a big difference between the front and the rear screw. The front is 1/4"-28. the rear is a special hex driven wood type screw. To bad you are in NZ. I could take care of you if you wee here.

olddav
06-18-2020, 08:17 AM
Forgive me as I seem to misread people’s post quite often but are you talking about the screw at the rear of the trigger guard? If so then it should be a “timber screw”. If it is not then the previous owner has made a modification to the rifle.

Kiwi75
06-18-2020, 07:29 PM
Thank you for the replies gents!
@olddav what you say is what I was beginning to suspect... perhaps first owner used the torque settings of the action screw and ripped out the timber screw or just plain heavy handed. Here is a photo of what I have - probably should have included in first post. In fact looking at it now, in the photo I can see the bedding compounds are different colours. thanks

olddav
06-19-2020, 06:23 PM
I can’t see the picture.
So what is your plan?

Kiwi75
06-21-2020, 04:39 AM
Sorry I’ve had a few problems trying to add the picture. Not sure what I will do, probably just live with the slot drive screw that’s in there and just paint it in enamel mat black paint. I will check a few engineering supply shops to see if I can get something similar to the action screws.