PDA

View Full Version : Ruger M77 MKII Shot Stringing

Pages : [1] 2

Longranger
06-07-2020, 10:21 PM
So I have a ruger m77 mk2 in 30-06 with the sporter profile barrel. I can only seem to get the first 2 shots to group and all of them after that start stringing vertically. The first 2 shots are easily sub moa but the rest are inches high usually. The barrel is free floated but not bedded. Just wondering if anyone here has m77 knowledge and whether or not this is typical of the thin barrels? Or if there's anything that can be done to get more shots before it starts walking?
Thanks in advance!

Jester560
06-07-2020, 11:02 PM
Stainless barrel??

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Longranger
06-07-2020, 11:12 PM
Stainless barrel??

Yep

Jester560
06-07-2020, 11:18 PM
I had one with a SS barrel and it would start walking on the 3red shot if I didn't allow it to cool between shots. You may need to do the same. Don't be afraid to use a water soaked towel on the barrel to aid in cooling.

Longranger
06-07-2020, 11:26 PM
I had one with a SS barrel and it would start walking on the 3red shot if I didn't allow it to cool between shots. You may need to do the same. Don't be afraid to use a water soaked towel on the barrel to aid in cooling.

Lol yeah, it's a hunting rifle but I wish I had at least 3 or 4 before it starts walking. I have a Savage with a pencil barrel that I haven't shot yet, do they seem to do any better?

Jester560
06-07-2020, 11:33 PM
The only Savage I have any experience with is my Axis 22-250. I often shoot 5 shot strings without issue. I let it cool after each 5 shot string.

Fuj'
06-08-2020, 07:13 AM
I had a Ruger 77 in .270 Shot tight then started throwing them
high and right, about in a perfect arc. Had it bedded, and settled
it right down for the first 5 shots at the bench. After that, the
barrel was too hot.

stomp442
06-08-2020, 10:58 AM
Rugers can be finicky but I have found that if you put a little fore end pressure right at the end of the stock things will settle down nicely. I generally add a little bedding as I bed the receiver or you can just use a folded up piece of paper slid underneath just to test it out.

Longranger
06-08-2020, 11:40 PM
Rugers can be finicky but I have found that if you put a little fore end pressure right at the end of the stock things will settle down nicely. I generally add a little bedding as I bed the receiver or you can just use a folded up piece of paper slid underneath just to test it out.

Interesting. From the factory it had a major pressure point at the end od the stock pushing upward on the barrel and it strung shots the same way. So I free-floated it and nothing seems to have changed. But I'll have to play around with the folded up paper like you said.

Longranger
06-08-2020, 11:41 PM
I had a Ruger 77 in .270 Shot tight then started throwing them
high and right, about in a perfect arc. Had it bedded, and settled
it right down for the first 5 shots at the bench. After that, the
barrel was too hot.

Noted. That's probably what I should do I've just been hoping it's something simpler.

Longranger
06-08-2020, 11:43 PM
The only Savage I have any experience with is my Axis 22-250. I often shoot 5 shot strings without issue. I let it cool after each 5 shot string.

I had a $200 axis as well and it shot just like yours. Didn't like the bolt throw on it though. Frustrating that the ruger that's worth 3 times the axis does this. The ruger is actually quite a bit more accurate than the axis for the first two shots but then it opens up wildly.

Jester560
06-09-2020, 09:16 AM
I had a $200 axis as well and it shot just like yours. Didn't like the bolt throw on it though. Frustrating that the ruger that's worth 3 times the axis does this. The ruger is actually quite a bit more accurate than the axis for the first two shots but then it opens up wildly.I paid less than $200 for mine used. It was a 2 moa gun in the factory plastic. I put in a Timney trigger and installed it in a Boyd's At-One thumbhole and it is now a 1/2 moa gun to 400 yards. The only rifle I have that it won't outshoot is my Sako 300 wm.

sharpshooter
06-09-2020, 12:52 PM
The biggest problem with the Rugers was the angled front action screw. You cant pull things in 2 different directions without getting stress.

Longranger
06-09-2020, 08:32 PM
I paid less than $200 for mine used. It was a 2 moa gun in the factory plastic. I put in a Timney trigger and installed it in a Boyd's At-One thumbhole and it is now a 1/2 moa gun to 400 yards. The only rifle I have that it won't outshoot is my Sako 300 wm.

LOL wow maybe I should kept my axis, have you had the same experience with the sporter barrelled savage 110s in the cheap plastic stocks?

Longranger
06-09-2020, 08:34 PM
The biggest problem with the Rugers was the angled front action screw. You cant pull things in 2 different directions without getting stress.

Not sure I understand, What's being pulled away from the direction of the angled screw?

Jester560
06-09-2020, 08:38 PM
LOL wow maybe I should kept my axis, have you had the same experience with the sporter barrelled savage 110s in the cheap plastic stocks?

Yes! The plastic stock have too much give and flex. A stock upgrade will make all the difference.

sharpshooter
06-10-2020, 02:57 PM
Not sure I understand, What's being pulled away from the direction of the angled screw?

The angled screw pulls the action down and to the rear at 45 degrees, while the other screws pull straight down, hence 2 different directions.

stomp442
06-10-2020, 03:56 PM
The angled screw was an exceptional idea I always thought. People always rip on Ruger for that but when properly pillar and glass bedded it is probably one of the most rock solid setups going. I have a couple of Ruger M77 rifles and they are some of the most accurate I own.

Longranger
06-10-2020, 06:53 PM
The angled screw was an exceptional idea I always thought. People always rip on Ruger for that but when properly pillar and glass bedded it is probably one of the most rock solid setups going. I have a couple of Ruger M77 rifles and they are some of the most accurate I own.

Are your m77s sporter profile barrels? How mnay shots do you get before getting heat walk?

Longranger
06-10-2020, 06:55 PM
The angled screw pulls the action down and to the rear at 45 degrees, while the other screws pull straight down, hence 2 different directions.

Well ruger suggests the non-angled screws being only barely hand tight, I assume to prevent or minimize this.