PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 CM barrel options..

fly223
06-04-2020, 02:20 PM
Hey folks, I'm about half way through completing an AR-10 in 6.5 CM and what barrel do you think would be best for hunting/some long range target shoots.
1. Criterion 22 in
2. BallisticAdvantange 22 in
3. Aero Precision 20 in

This setup will mainly be used for hogs/deer, and some 600 yard target shoots. I just figured the 22 in plus muzzel break would be a tad long for a tree stand, etc. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Ted_Feasel
06-04-2020, 02:41 PM
Hey folks, I'm about half way through completing an AR-10 in 6.5 CM and what barrel do you think would be best for hunting/some long range target shoots.
1. Criterion 22 in
3. Aero Precision 20 in

This setup will mainly be used for hogs/deer, and some 600 yard target shoots. I just figured the 22 in plus muzzel break would be a tad long for a tree stand, etc. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

JoeI have several criterion and shilen in ar15/10 and bolt and they are 10 shot 1 hole barrels when proper load is developed, even with factory ammo you can still count on 1/2 MOA. so there's my 2 cents, criterion or shilen and btw my 6.5 creedmoor AR10 is criterion. If you are going A2 buffer you'll probably want to goto heavybuffers.com and get the extra heavy buffet set and a superlative arms gas block. With that combo it will kick out the brass without even so much as extractor marks.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Ted_Feasel
06-04-2020, 02:53 PM
1. Criterion 22 in
3. Aero Precision 20 in

JoeForgot to mention, if you go criterion or shilen I would recommend getting the matched fulton arms or jp bolt with it.. just to be safe

celltech
06-04-2020, 02:55 PM
I recently picked up the Criterion 22"...first 5 shots were all touching. Was easily hitting torso plates at 800 yards the other day, and that is with cheap Hornady American Gunner getting 2675fps. You will need an adjustable gas block for sure, the port pressure is quite a bit higher than .308. I have an Oden adjustable block and it's closed all the way down. Also love that it's nitrided and will hopefully extend the barrel life....highly recommended.

fly223
06-04-2020, 02:56 PM
Sounds great, thank you for the feedback. Primary arms has a Criterion 22 inch for $301.00 plus shipping.
Approx. how much are the jp bolts?

fly223
06-04-2020, 02:57 PM
I recently picked up the Criterion 22"...first 5 shots were all touching. Was easily hitting torso plates at 800 yards the other day, and that is with cheap Hornady American Gunner getting 2675fps. You will need an adjustable gas block for sure, the port pressure is quite a bit higher than .308. I have an Oden adjustable block and it's closed all the way down. Also love that it's nitrided and will hopefully extend the barrel life....highly recommended.

Yes, great info. thank you

Ted_Feasel
06-04-2020, 02:58 PM
Sounds great, thank you for the feedback. Primary arms has a Criterion 22 inch for $301.00 plus shipping.
Approx. how much are the jp bolts?I think when you add the jp or fulton bolts, it adds around extra $100.. its a little salty for sure. I ordered mine directly from criterion so I dont know if PA offers the bolt or not.

fly223
06-04-2020, 03:02 PM
I think when you add the jp or fulton bolts, it adds around extra $100.. its a little salty for sure. I ordered mine directly from criterion so I dont know if PA offers the bolt or not.

Awesome, thanks..

Ted_Feasel
06-04-2020, 03:02 PM
Yes, great info. thank youCheck out SA gasblocks.. they have a unique feature. From closed, turn 4.5 turns ccw and thats wide open, but every click past that starts opening a vent on the gasblock allowing the extra pressure to escape the system instead of just restricting it.. you can also just restrict it by turning CW from the 4.5 turn open position.

fly223
06-04-2020, 03:10 PM
Check out SA gasblocks.. they have a unique feature. From closed, turn 4.5 turns ccw and thats wide open, but every click past that starts opening a vent on the gasblock allowing the extra pressure to escape the system instead of just restricting it.. you can also just restrict it by turning CW from the 4.5 turn open position.

Sounds like a plan.
I'm undecided on 20 in and or 22 in.. Leaning more towards 20 but I have yet to locate them instock. I've located a lot of 22's

Ted_Feasel
06-04-2020, 03:15 PM
Sounds like a plan.
I'm undecided on 20 in and or 22 in.. Leaning more towards 20 but I have yet to locate them instock. I've located a lot of 22'sOne thing to consider is 20 inch you are good with rifle length gas system, 22 in your starting to enter rifle+2 gas lengths.. you can compensate by heavy buffers.. i said it backwards earlier, if you are using rifle buffer system you can just replace all 5 weights with tungsten and carbine buffer system you really would be well served with the Xtra heavy buffer system from heavybuffers.com. but 22" you still would probably be OK with rifle length gas system but if you screw on a silencer then you would probably want rifle+2

fly223
06-04-2020, 03:25 PM
One thing to consider is 20 inch you are good with rifle length gas system, 22 in your starting to enter rifle+2 gas lengths.. you can compensate by heavy buffers.. i said it backwards earlier, if you are using rifle buffer system you can just replace all 5 weights with tungsten and carbine buffer system you really would be well served with the Xtra heavy buffer system from heavybuffers.com. but 22" you still would probably be OK with rifle length gas system but if you screw on a silencer then you would probably want rifle+2

Sadly I live in Jersey and silencers are a no go here..
I will be putting on a muzzel break though, so rifle length gas system and muzzel break should be good to go?

Ted_Feasel
06-04-2020, 03:40 PM
Sadly I live in Jersey and silencers are a no go here..
I will be putting on a muzzel break though, so rifle length gas system and muzzel break should be good to go?Yes. Breaks do not add any significant dwell time or back pressure

fly223
06-04-2020, 03:48 PM
Yes. Breaks do not add any significant dwell time or back pressure

Excellent, thanks.

Ted_Feasel
06-04-2020, 04:20 PM
Excellent, thanks.Np:)