PDA

View Full Version : New 111 project underway

CRNA
11-06-2010, 01:28 PM
My first post here. Been reading alot lately since starting my new project. Can't wait to get my barrel so I can put everything together. What I have so far:

Savage 111 FCNS in 7mmRemMag
McGowen 26" stainless barrel varmint contour .80" at muzzle
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 with NP-R2 reticle
Nightforce one piece 20 MOA base
Nightforce ultralight 1.125"
Harris S-series bipod 6-9" legs
Blackhawk cheek elevator

100 Winchester unfired brass
100 Sierra Matchking 168gr.

ellobo
11-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Are you keeping it a 7 mag? Do you have a new recoil lug? How about a go gage? Action wrench and barrel nut wrench?
Wl Lobo

CRNA
11-06-2010, 10:25 PM
I am going to stay with the 7mag. I don't have any of the tools you mentioned because I'm going to let a smith do it. Everyone I've talked to says it's easy to do, but I've never worked on a gun before, even though I've been shooting my whole life. Plus, I'm going to need the smith to free float the larger barrel contour and I haven't ever done that either and I don't want to mess my stock up. Something about 70+ grains of powder Exploding 6 inches from my brain that makes me a little nervous about a first time gunsmithing job. Oh, you mentioned the recoil lug, I have the accustock, so from my understanding, replacing the recoil lug would require further stock work. Am I right about that?

Blue Avenger
11-07-2010, 12:38 PM
sanding a stock barrel channel at home can be easy also. a deep well socket wrapped in sand paper, changing size as you go. a wooden dowel or any other round object.

as to the lug and accu stock, your right.