PDA

View Full Version : Bolt handle to scope clearance

tenth_gen
06-01-2020, 02:04 PM
I need a little bit more clearance between my scope and bolt when cycling. Has anyone successfully heated and bent a model 10 bolt handle or should I not bother and just get a tactical bolt handle from a 10TRhttps://imgur.com/a/qYV8W33

celltech
06-01-2020, 02:55 PM
Never tried heating one, but I have dremeled out some shallow scallops in Axis handles before...

Dave Hoback
06-01-2020, 03:38 PM
I use one from Glades Armory. http://gladesarmory.com/savage-10-110-flat-receiver-bolt-handles-/80/savage-tactical-bolt-handle-right-handk-knob.html Fantastic piece.

Robinhood
06-01-2020, 05:29 PM
I need a little bit more clearance between my scope and bolt when cycling. Has anyone successfully heated and bent a model 10 bolt handle or should I not bother and just get a tactical bolt handle from a 10TRhttps://imgur.com/a/qYV8W33

I looked at your picture but could not see the clearance issue. I think you will be fine once you mount a scope.

tenth_gen
06-01-2020, 05:53 PM
I looked at your picture but could not see the clearance issue. I think you will be fine once you mount a scope.

It's a bit tight. It has a 34mm tube so the eyebox is a little bigger than a scope with a 30mm tube

https://imgur.com/a/L9dDmBV

celltech
06-01-2020, 07:19 PM
So that looks like the handle does not touch the scope, but it's just a tight fit for your hand on the knob. In that case get the tactical handle...it's a lot longer and will give you the room to hold onto it.

tenth_gen
06-02-2020, 12:01 AM
So that looks like the handle does not touch the scope, but it's just a tight fit for your hand on the knob. In that case get the tactical handle...it's a lot longer and will give you the room to hold onto it.

I shoot left so when I'm using a right handed firearm, I don't need as much clearance as someone right handed but I'd like a little more. Thanks for the advice

celltech
06-02-2020, 08:03 AM
Off topic, but is that the new gen Strike Eagle? How do you like it? I was thinking of picking one up...

tenth_gen
06-02-2020, 08:54 PM
Off topic, but is that the new gen Strike Eagle? How do you like it? I was thinking of picking one up...

It is indeed a brand new 5-25 x 56 Strike Eagle. This is my first precision style rifle so I don't feel that my opinion carries a great deal of weight due to my experience.

I haven't even looked through another nice scope so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I live in an apartment building so I've only laser bore sighted it out to the whopping distance of 20 yards. I should get it out to shoot it later this month. Even then it will be to a max of about 200 yards at our bush spot.

I bought this scope mainly because of the staggering amount of elevation it offers (110 MOA) and the Christmas tree reticle that supports wind doping and accurate holdovers at any magnification because it's a FFP scope. I also wanted a scope that was "future proof" that I would be able to use to get out to 1000 yards when I'm ready. Sorry I couldn't be more help

Robinhood
06-02-2020, 09:08 PM
It is indeed a brand new 5-25 x 56 Strike Eagle. This is my first precision style rifle so I don't feel that my opinion carries a great deal of weight due to my experience.

I haven't even looked through another nice scope so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I live in an apartment building so I've only laser bore sighted it out to the whopping distance of 20 yards. I should get it out to shoot it later this month. Even then it will be to a max of about 200 yards at our bush spot.

I bought this scope mainly because of the staggering amount of elevation it offers (110 MOA) and the Christmas tree reticle that supports wind doping and accurate holdovers at any magnification because it's a FFP scope. I also wanted a scope that was "future proof" that I would be able to use to get out to 1000 yards when I'm ready. Sorry I couldn't be more help

I am freaking excited for you!!! I know that rifle is talking to you everyday and night. "Shoot me....Shoot me!!!!!"

tenth_gen
06-03-2020, 12:45 AM
I am freaking excited for you!!! I know that rifle is talking to you everyday and night. "Shoot me....Shoot me!!!!!"

Yeah it's tough to keep my hands off of it LoL. I'm looking forward to putting some holes in paper. The only things I've changed is I got rid of the factory ALU 0 MOA scope rail and mounted a leupold Mark 4 steel scope rail and I've mounted an A2 grip (not in the pic) with the trapdoor for a little more storage and it has the little ring finger shelf I like. Bipod is a Caldwell accumaxx carbon. The whole setup weighs 13 pounds http://imgur.com/a/QFqm4cb

Dave Hoback
06-03-2020, 08:25 AM
Very nice rig tenth gen. BTW, shouldn’t ever feel “unqualified” here. Giving your opinion is always valid. I’m not saying talk about what you DON’T know. But when you believe your thinking is correct, never feel like you should keep from speaking. We all AGREE, I think, on much more than we disagree..LOL. :eagerness:

Back to your bolt handle. I think if you get one with a bit more length, you’ll be happy. You could also have your stock bolt handle machined down & threaded 5/16-24 and grab a new knob of your choice.

JeepsAndGuns
06-03-2020, 12:19 PM
I also have the glades armory bolt handles on 2 of my 4 savages (the other two have factory tactical handles).
I really like them. The extended length helps get you hand away from the scope and gives more leverage.

Dave Hoback
06-03-2020, 03:37 PM
I also have the glades armory bolt handles on 2 of my 4 savages (the other two have factory tactical handles).
I really like them. The extended length helps get you hand away from the scope and gives more leverage.

Exactly! With some other “tricks”, the Glades handle helps get the infamous Savage Bolt Lift struggle to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sDyuqH6kNQ

And, NO I’m not “holding” the rifle down...(I only have ONE ARM to use!!) Look at the whole setup bounce around when I close the bolt. Also, because someone that doesn’t know brought it up, that stand I’m using weighs maybe 10-12oz. It’s not heavy.