PDA

View Full Version : Lengthening a 116 magazine

2rjs
05-31-2020, 04:30 AM
Hey guys, I've got a 116 chambered in 300 WM. The bullets I'm trying to load are COAL 3.667 to the lands. Inside of the removable magazine is 3.500. Does anyone know a way of making a modification to accept longer bullets such as changing to a drop floor plate, aftermarket magazine, etc?

Thanks

Robinhood
05-31-2020, 06:59 AM
Find a 338 lapua magazine and mill your receiver to fit. modify your stock to accept the new parts. Find a savage lapua stock and magazine

sharpshooter
05-31-2020, 11:50 PM
Try them at magazine length and see how they shoot.

2rjs
06-01-2020, 05:36 AM
Try them at magazine length and see how they shoot.

I actually plan to do that this morning. Only problem is that I am compressing the powder just a couple grains above recommended minimum.

2rjs
06-01-2020, 05:38 AM
Find a 338 lapua magazine and mill your receiver to fit. modify your stock to accept the new parts. Find a savage lapua stock and magazine

Does the Lapua require a different stock that a standard long action or will the Lapua bottom metal fit with a little milling?

Robinhood
06-01-2020, 05:42 PM
Does the Lapua require a different stock that a standard long action or will the Lapua bottom metal fit with a little milling?

I could not tell you as I have never done this particular alteration. You are wanting lapua length rounds. The external dimensions of the magazine will be different. I based my statements on those assumptions.

Have you thought about single loading?

2rjs
06-01-2020, 06:46 PM
I could not tell you as I have never done this particular alteration. You are wanting lapua length rounds. The external dimensions of the magazine will be different. I based my statements on those assumptions. Have you thought about single loading?Yes I'm probably going to have to do that. Magazine length rounds would not shoot this morning. Looking at full length rounds, I can actually get one round in the top of the magazine. The tip will be over and outside the mag but it will but will load and feed fine. That will give me one quick follow up. I will probably try this route next.