PDA

View Full Version : Recoil Lug Question

bbradford71
11-05-2010, 07:48 PM
How difficult is it to change out a recoil lug from SSS on my savage model 16? What tools would I need and is it something someone who has never worked on a rifle can do?

Thanks

mugsie
11-05-2010, 08:38 PM
It's quicker than typing the question!

Remove the barrel and receiver from the stock.

Using a barrel nut wrench and a reciever wrench, remove the barrel nut

slide the old lug off (If you're very very careful and do not disturbe the barrel (trust me - it'll move somewhat), slide the recoil lug off and the new one on.

Screw on the barrel nut and tighten. Put everything back together and you're good to go.

Now - since the barrel moved - you'll need a headspace gauge, so you'll have to head space it - but that's just as easy as everything else.

Do a search on the web - there's a ton of good videos on youtube also.

Good luck.

drybean
11-05-2010, 09:08 PM
WHY?

geargrinder
11-05-2010, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't swap lugs unless you have another reason to be taking the barrel off.

bbradford71
11-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks Mugsie!

I would like to install a stronger machined lug, I shoot a 300 WSM and have read in many posts that the factory lugs are crap and on the large magnum rifles an after market lug like the one sold by SSS will improve accuracy, unless I am wrong.

Blue Avenger
11-05-2010, 11:38 PM
I wouldn't swap lugs unless you have another reason to be taking the barrel off.
How about to replace a bent one?

BillPa
11-06-2010, 12:19 AM
How about to replace a bent one?

Unless you square the action face all you'll have is a new flat lug setting crooked. Maybe the combination of a bent twisted lug and out of square action face may align exactly right so the lug actually sets square on the stock shoulder! ;D

Naw, replacing a recoil lug by itself without any addition work will probably mean zero gain in accuracy. If it does, more than likely something else was inadvertently fixed in the process.

Bill