PDA

View Full Version : Planning a New Build - Feedback and Advice Welcome

Pages : 1 [2]

Dave Hoback
06-12-2020, 02:01 AM
That’s the name of the game here. How light you want to go? Gets to a point where going any lighter starts getting rather expensive. I’ll say this to, I would not substitute your current mounting for the incredibly thin rings of the DNZ line. Their mounts are gears for sporting hunting rifles. Certainly not a tactical chassis rig as yours. Will just seem out of place.

I do so love when someone posts you should get something much more expensive. OP.. the VX-3i is available in FFP
in the 4.5-14x50, but it’s pushing $900 for a 6.7oz weight savings? I also don’t believe the VX-3i really any better than the Ares. I have the the Athlon Midas BTR, and don’t think the clarity through the VX-3i was better than mine. Certainly not for the price increase! But if the weight is that important, here ya go. https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-172335-4-5-14x50mm-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B01MS02NK6/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=leupold+vx-3i+lrp&qid=1591940927&sr=8-2

TheNatural
06-12-2020, 12:53 PM
That’s the name of the game here. How light you want to go? Gets to a point where going any lighter starts getting rather expensive. I’ll say this to, I would not substitute your current mounting for the incredibly thin rings of the DNZ line. Their mounts are gears for sporting hunting rifles. Certainly not a tactical chassis rig as yours. Will just seem out of place.

I do so love when someone posts you should get something much more expensive. OP.. the VX-3i is available in FFP
in the 4.5-14x50, but it’s pushing $900 for a 6.7oz weight savings? I also don’t believe the VX-3i really any better than the Ares. I have the the Athlon Midas BTR, and don’t think the clarity through the VX-3i was better than mine. Certainly not for the price increase! But if the weight is that important, here ya go. https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-172335-4-5-14x50mm-Reticle-Riflescope/dp/B01MS02NK6/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=leupold+vx-3i+lrp&qid=1591940927&sr=8-2
Interesting point on the DNZ mounts. That's the reason I didn't want to go with the Talleys, but the reviews I read have suggested the DNZ's are a bit tougher. I was thinking about their "tactical" options that use 4 screws per ring. They're an extra ounce but look worth it in the photos... does that change your advice at all? Honestly I would have ordered them already if they came with #8-40 screws. DNZ's website says they'll modify them for me, but then I'd have to order from US which is time consuming and difficult thanks to ITAR (maybe not for rings?). Some Canadian retailers have them, but then I'd have to buy the counterbore to modify them myself on a drill press and buying tools makes it more expensive too. I'm not against spending money and doing a little work to save weight, I just want to do it as efficiently as possible. I also don't want to go ultralight, just keep it to 10lbs so I don't hate carrying it.

Thanks for the scope link, but that one is in MOA. the Leupold website doesn't show that lower power option available in Mils. I know I'm getting pretty picky here, but everything I own is in mils and I'd like to keep it that way (technically not true as I have a couple red dots that adjust in shooter MOA... but I never have to think about that once they're zeroed).

Dave Hoback
06-12-2020, 05:54 PM
I hear ya. I prefer Mil as well. Even the 4-screw cap DNZ Rent my cup ‘o tea. I use the TAC-21 chassis which has the rail built in. (Mimics an AR). And I prefer Picatinny 1-piece mounts. For a chassis like yours, I would use a 7075-T6 Pic rail and mount of your choice. This is just one area I would never worry about cutting weight. Other than using billet Aluminum over steel. That’s the extent of the weight savings. I’d run a Spuhr if I could afford it. But as my budget goes, I have been using the AD Recon-s mount with QD. And it’s served me well. Although I am eyeing Warne’s new “Skyline” mount. 7075-T6, it looks legit! And still just over half price of a Spuhr. Yeah man!

Oh course this is simply my opinion. Others results may vary.

TheNatural
06-12-2020, 11:15 PM
I hear ya. I prefer Mil as well. Even the 4-screw cap DNZ Rent my cup ‘o tea. I use the TAC-21 chassis which has the rail built in. (Mimics an AR). And I prefer Picatinny 1-piece mounts. For a chassis like yours, I would use a 7075-T6 Pic rail and mount of your choice. This is just one area I would never worry about cutting weight. Other than using billet Aluminum over steel. That’s the extent of the weight savings. I’d run a Spuhr if I could afford it. But as my budget goes, I have been using the AD Recon-s mount with QD. And it’s served me well. Although I am eyeing Warne’s new “Skyline” mount. 7075-T6, it looks legit! And still just over half price of a Spuhr. Yeah man!

Oh course this is simply my opinion. Others results may vary.

I've got the 20moa EGW rail that came with the 110 tactical and it's pretty nice. I also really like the Burris xtr sig rings that are on it now - they're my go to and I have a few sets of them in use. I liked them so much I picked up the Burris QD PEPR mount with the shim system as soon as it launched... And I got 50 rounds through that AR before our lovely govt made it a several thousand dollar paper weight. That 1 piece mount is great, but friggin heavy and too high for this rifle. As much as your advice is in line with my usual line of thinking and is free to implement with things I already have kicking around, I have to find somewhere to cut a few ounces or I'll be leaving the rifle at home too often.

The big reason I started this thread is because my usual philosophy is damn the weight as long as it works really well. But... Doing that with too many components makes for a 25lb bolt gun that I don't want to carry. On the flip side it's easy enough to throw together an ultralight mountain rifle that's a dream to carry (although it can get expensive), but that's not the kind of thing I want to shoot very much. Finding the balance is damn hard. Being a lefty makes it that extra little bit harder.

Dave Hoback
06-13-2020, 10:33 AM
Yeah I still can’t believe you guys let that go through?? I understand it in Europe, Australia, New Zealand... but I was surprised the people let it go in Canada?? I thought the ties Canada has with the United States, let alone the closeness, would have the people fighting it harder.

It simply can not happen in the States. Well, it could... but that will be the end. I’m not even a crazy gun nut... I’m an enthusiast. But I’ve met a couple true “Gun Nuts”....and holy moly...even I was nervous around them! Bet even still, no one will ever take my ARs. The very second they do, they will make me a criminal. I’ve never been in trouble a day in my life with the law, but THAT would do it. Because I woul NOT follow those laws! And if men WITH GUNS(ironically), came to my home to take my property, they would need to use FORCE. Which they would... they would use their GUNS, to TAKE my guns! How does that make any sense to progressives?? I know I wouldn’t win that. I would die. But I would still fight, even with that being the outcome. I’m proud of my 2nd Amendment & will fight to keep it.

yobuck
06-13-2020, 01:45 PM
Yeah I still can’t believe you guys let that go through?? I understand it in Europe, Australia, New Zealand... but I was surprised the people let it go in Canada?? I thought the ties Canada has with the United States, let alone the closeness, would have the people fighting it harder.

It simply can not happen in the States. Well, it could... but that will be the end. I’m not even a crazy gun nut... I’m an enthusiast. But I’ve met a couple true “Gun Nuts”....and holy moly...even I was nervous around them! Bet even still, no one will ever take my ARs. The very second they do, they will make me a criminal. I’ve never been in trouble a day in my life with the law, but THAT would do it. Because I woul NOT follow those laws! And if men WITH GUNS(ironically), came to my home to take my property, they would need to use FORCE. Which they would... they would use their GUNS, to TAKE my guns! How does that make any sense to progressives?? I know I wouldn’t win that. I would die. But I would still fight, even with that being the outcome. I’m proud of my 2nd Amendment & will fight to keep it.
Dave when/lf the day ever comes they come for them, they wont be sending a swat team.
All the tough talk from the tough guys is simply bar room talk.
A little drone will be sent to take everything, including the house.
It will only take a few of those incidents till everybody gets in line.
There is only one answer, keep the liberals out of government.

TheNatural
06-13-2020, 03:55 PM

Well.. I can't really argue with that. But gun owners aren't exactly rolling over without a fuss either. Our many party political system allowed a party with 30% of the vote to gain leadership of the country, but they shouldn't actually be able to pass legislation without cooperation from enough other parties to get a majority vote. Trouble is they used parliament being shut down due to COVID-19 as an excuse to use an order in council to ban these guns without any sort of debate or vote. These guys that represent 30% of voters are acting like dictators. I'm aware of one "Charter Challenge" that is challenging the constitutional validity of the ban, and three well funded judicial reviews picking apart the way in which it was done. So far 0 firearms that I know of have been turned over. But... In my circle at least, the fear of legal problems is keeping the guns in the safe for now.