PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Head Interchange

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Fuj'
05-26-2020, 07:43 AM
Boy oh boy...You guys are WAY more “precisionalistical-icious” than I with your technique. I do use a Hornady Lock n Load Comparator, but I measured OAL with an Frankford Arsenal OAL kit. The brain fluid aroma is palpable in here!

LOL....Yeah. I was'nt alway's this way. As my wild catting came back
into focus as one of my primary rifle hobby's, it went from tipping over
wood chucks to ruining good paper, way out there. And if a chuck is
way out there ?? It's toast.....:cool:

mnbogboy2
05-26-2020, 05:05 PM

^^this^^ no disagreement from this old guy!

Dave Hoback
05-26-2020, 08:43 PM

I hear ya. Hey... I dig it! Quite humbling.

Fuj'
05-27-2020, 07:58 AM
^^this^^ no disagreement from this old guy!

I still read about some of your adventures....LOL I got one coming your way that's been on the back burner for 30 years or more !!

And while on the wild catting subject, I'll add another problem we can create for
ourselves to hurt that repeatable measurement. I was reminded of this yesterday
when I stuck a case in a FL die.....If you stick a case, check that you did not deform
any of the case rim. This will skew your numbers, and probably give you problems
on bolt closure. Save these for foulers to get them ironed out.

As for the stuck case ?? Imperial sizing wax failed me again !! Finished the lot with
lanolin.

mnbogboy2
05-27-2020, 01:41 PM
I still read about some of your adventures....LOL I got one coming your way that's been on the back burner for 30 years or more !!

And while on the wild catting subject, I'll add another problem we can create for
ourselves to hurt that repeatable measurement. I was reminded of this yesterday
when I stuck a case in a FL die.....If you stick a case, check that you did not deform
any of the case rim. This will skew your numbers, and probably give you problems
on bolt closure. Save these for foulers to get them ironed out.

As for the stuck case ?? Imperial sizing wax failed me again !! Finished the lot with
lanolin.

Fuj, great info on the distorted rims. I pulled a bunch of old rounds apart a couple of times with the inertia "hammer". Even after breaking "cold welds" in the press by seating them a little deeper the case rims changed. Some actually were visible and unusable. Several thousandths long can easily push you out of a seating node. Or worse yet mixed with regular length cases cause your hair to fallout or turn grey!
It's all learn as we go I guess.