PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's 223 Ammo

Pages : [1] 2

Bama
05-13-2020, 06:20 PM
Has Cabela's changed their selection of .223 ammo ? I went to the local Cabela's today looking for a 50 round box of Hornady 55gr V-max . Not only did they not have this ( which they have stocked consistently ) but the entire shelf was bare in the .223 area . I counted 6 total boxes of .223 ammo . So , I came home and went to their web site looking for the same ammo . Their web site list a total of 3 choices for .223 ammo - one Herter's , one Federal , and one Atomic . So I sent Cabela's customer service an email but they had a disclaimer regarding problems with the pandemic and I did not receive a conformation email . So , I called the local Cabela's and spoke with a gentleman who told me they still carry the ammo I am looking for " as far as he knew " but he sounded unsure . Thanks

celltech
05-13-2020, 07:04 PM
The COVID pandemic has caused ammo shortages from panic buying. You will just have to wait for supplies to pick back up or load your own.

Bama
05-13-2020, 09:20 PM
Ammo and toilet paper ... oh well . I have been thinking seriously about rollin' my own so this may help me take that next step . Thanks

Bill2905
05-14-2020, 07:20 AM
The stores are still receiving stock but you have to be lucky and get there on a day when they have new stock. It doesn't last long once it hits the shelves.

I like that Hornady 55 gr V-Max load you are seeking. It shoots good and is a pretty good value for your money. That's been my go to factory ammo when I don't have time to roll my own.

Ted_Feasel
05-14-2020, 07:27 AM
Pick up reloading and stock up on reloading supplies then you don't have to worry about ammo shortages :)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

charlie b
05-14-2020, 07:56 AM
Yep, everything is kinda scarce. When this started the local stores sold out of most of their shotguns and pistols, along with any ammo that was not premium. Now the limited production, imports and shipping capability is hampering the stocking of shelves.

Ted_Feasel
05-14-2020, 07:57 AM
Yep, everything is kinda scarce. When this started the local stores sold out of most of their shotguns and pistols, along with any ammo that was not premium. Now the limited production, imports and shipping capability is hampering the stocking of shelves.I've had pretty good 6S getting reloading supplies still there was a shortage of H4350 but I just recently stocked up on 16 pounds of it

Fuj'
05-14-2020, 09:35 AM
Try SGAmmo, one of my haunts for stocking case lots. You can
also try ammoseek.com. It's generally pretty good about who
has ammo in stock, and pricing.

Texas10
05-14-2020, 09:48 AM
https://ammoseek.com/

Ted_Feasel
05-14-2020, 09:49 AM
Try SGAmmo, one of my haunts for stocking case lots. You can
also try ammoseek.com. It's generally pretty good about who
has ammo in stock, and pricing.If using android to install the ammoseek app you have you use a 3rd party app store that was hacked, so just throwing that out there. Not sure why android stopped carrying it in the play store... apple still has it in their app store

Ted_Feasel
05-14-2020, 09:50 AM
If using android to install the ammoseek app you have you use a 3rd party app store that was hacked, so just throwing that out there. Not sure why android stopped carrying it in the play store... apple still has it in their app store

Sent from my SM-N975U using TapatalkI recon if your just using ammoseek site then your good but just be aware about the android ammoseek app

Fuj'
05-14-2020, 11:50 AM
And there is a reason I never bought into cell phone / not so
smart devices. The (cough) content looks better on a 21" screen.....LOL

Ted_Feasel
05-14-2020, 01:28 PM
And there is a reason I never bought into cell phone / not so
smart devices. The (cough) content looks better on a 21" screen.....LOLThere is alot to be said for sandbox devices like Droids and iphones.. they are virtually virus proof and computers are not.. it was that 3rd party apps servers(mac/wimdows/linux) that was actually hacked

Bama
05-14-2020, 03:27 PM
Want to thank everyone for the input . I also should mention that Cabela's responded promptly and professionally to my request for information . Gave me their stock number and Hornady's product number but said they did not know when it would be available again -- Kudos .

Bill2905
05-14-2020, 03:58 PM
I checked MidwayUSA earlier today and they had a decent selection of 223 hunting and match ammo available. It's not the cheap plinking stuff but it is available.

Ted_Feasel
05-14-2020, 04:44 PM
I checked MidwayUSA earlier today and they had a decent selection of 223 hunting and match ammo available. It's not the cheap plinking stuff but it is available.Just be sure if your chamber is .223 rem, 5.56 NATO or 223 wylde.. and match your twist rate of the barrel with the bullet weight. 223 remington = only shoot .223 remington ammo, you can shoot 5.56 but its not recommended or considered safe. 5.56 nato chamber Can safely shoot to 23 Remington ammunition but usually at a cost a loss of accuracy and the to 23 Wylde chamber can shoot either to 23 Remington or 556 nato and is not supposed to suffer the accuracy loss. Sorry if I'm telling you stuff that you already know lol

Ted_Feasel
05-14-2020, 04:45 PM
Just be sure if your chamber is .223 rem, 5.56 NATO or 223 wylde.. and match your twist rate of the barrel with the bullet weight. 223 remington = only shoot .223 remington ammo, you can shoot 5.56 but its not recommended or considered safe. 5.56 nato chamber Can safely shoot to 23 Remington ammunition but usually at a cost a loss of accuracy and the to 23 Wylde chamber can shoot either to 23 Remington or 556 nato and is not supposed to suffer the accuracy loss. Sorry if I'm telling you stuff that you already know lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using TapatalkWhere i said 23 I meant 223:)

charlie b
05-14-2020, 05:35 PM
I have shot some 5.56 ammo in my Savage .223. No problems, just not as accurate as I'd like.

Ted_Feasel
05-14-2020, 07:33 PM
I have shot some 5.56 ammo in my Savage .223. No problems, just not as accurate as I'd like.Yes you can but 5.56 does operate at a higher pressure.. its had to find exact apples to apples comparison but I have. Military measures PSI at the base of the case and SAAMI measures in CUPS taken from the middle of the case. The 5.56 nato has a deeper throat to facilitate more reliable cycling in semi and full auto and it allows higher pressures but the reality is that all rifles are proofed at much higher pressures than they are loaded to so you probably wouldn't suffer catastrophic failure but it will cause unwanted wear and a dangerous failure is not outside the realm of possibility.. in short, its your rifle and your life so feel free to fire nato rounds in a 223 rem chamber but you shouldn't do it or at the very least you shouldn't do it often.

Bama
05-14-2020, 08:22 PM
Thanks Bill . I like Midway but what they have listed is a 20 round box of 55gr V-max branded as "Varmint Express" . I would guess that this is the same ammo that I've been looking for at Cabela's . Problem is that Cabela's is a 50 round box and a noticeably lower price per round especially when you factor in shipping cost . I may have to consider Midway's offering if Cabela's can't restock . Like I said , I've always been pleased with the dealings I've had with Midway.

Thanks Ted . I have read about the pressure difference with the nato round and the possible damage that could happen when it is used in a .223 . I won't be using nato rounds .