PDA

View Full Version : Chamber issue

Heart of Texas
05-10-2020, 01:40 PM
I have a new Savage 12 F/TR in 223. Took it out to zero/break in and found that my brass was being scratched terribly. Besides taking it to a gunsmith, is there a way to polish the chamber?

celltech
05-10-2020, 02:08 PM
Sure it's the chamber?? Slowly extract the shell and use your finger to make sure it does not scrape the receiver lugs. It's a pretty sharp point in there.

ttexastom
05-11-2020, 12:57 AM
Welcome to the savage family.

ragsflh
05-11-2020, 08:32 AM
welcome

drybean
05-11-2020, 09:52 AM
Welcome aboard

TrackSoup
05-12-2020, 09:38 AM
Hello

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinhood
05-12-2020, 07:37 PM
I believe it happens when there is either sand or dirt in the chamber or on the ammo. When the round is chambered the clearance tightens up and embeds in the brass scratching the chamber as the bolt is closed. The proud metal then transfers the scratches into ever piece of brass. Just my opinion. It is a good idea to keep you ammo clean and stay away from your range when it is windy or dust and debris is blowing around.

Pull your bolt out (Possibly removing the barreled action from the stock) for access to the chamber. Get a short piece of a segmented cleaning rod. Get yourself a brass Chamber brush or any brass brush that will fit snugly in the chamber. Get a piece of Scotch bright and tear off a piece that will nearly wrap around the brush. Insert the brush on the cleaning rod. Insert cleaning rod into drill chuck and tighten. Insert brush into chamber and spin on full speed for a few seconds only. Do not try to push the brush into the neck just bump the shoulder of the chamber. Flush chamber with copious amounts of suitable cleaning fluid. Flush again. Blow dry and free of cleaner. Insert bolt and test clean brass. Still gouges, repeat. No gouges...donskey